2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

8 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

I do think he should have led with something other than the war in Ukraine.  Not that it's not important, but you should probably start a State of the Union by talking about things going on in the country you're in charge of.   

The frame of Hitler on the march and the isolationists was perfect.  Those people are going to cause World War III through their inaction, just like they made it perilously close to Hitler winning last time. 

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

Lol cspan moved the GOP response to the mobile app to keep covering Biden exiting the House.   

It's not the thing people focus on about Biden, particularly in today's politics, but it's really one of his best and most genuine qualities... he loves to work a line and has to be pulled away from it. Whether it's with pols or people on the campaign trail.

I remember one of his town halls in late 2020, he ended up staying at the amphitheater for almost an hour after it ended just so he could talk to the crowd. Just a tremendous (and underrated) retail politician.... he may be one of the last of his kind even.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

Senator Kenny Britt, seemingly on the verge of fake tears,  just blamed credit card debt on Biden, this after decades of GOP telling us people know how to best spend their money. 

22 minutes ago, pfife said:

Senator Kenny Britt, seemingly on the verge of fake tears,  just blamed credit card debt on Biden, this after decades of GOP telling us people know how to best spend their money. 

I am just now watching it and I don't think the comments here (or elsewhere) prepared me for how bad her delivery was. 

only one thing really mattered tonight - Biden was able to stand there and talk, and in fact shout at us,  even with the regular Biden syntax assaults, until the rest of us were past being tired. It was political speech as treadmill cardiac stress test, and it was meant to attack his single biggest political liability in the most indirect, almost subliminally designed way

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

only one thing really mattered tonight - Biden was able to stand there and talk, and in fact shout at us,  even with the regular Biden syntax assaults, until the rest of us were past being tired. It was political speech as treadmill cardiac stress test, and it was meant to attack his single biggest political liability in the most indirect, almost subliminally designed way

I think it's the same as four years ago as well in the sense that the Republicans continue to lower the bar so low (ie. dementia, senile, etc.) that he ends up graded on a curve in moments like these. We forget, but it happened *a lot* in 2020 as well.

This was a pretty good SOTU on it's face, but in terms of the expectations game, it was a home run IMO

• Like 1