2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I am just now watching it and I don't think the comments here (or elsewhere) prepared me for how bad her delivery was. 

I only made it to about the 20 second mark where she tells America that she named her son Ridgeway.  WTF is wrong  with her.  That’s not a child’s name.  That’s a name you give to a rehab center where people go for 30 days to kick their pill jones.  

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I am just now watching it and I don't think the comments here (or elsewhere) prepared me for how bad her delivery was. 

It was really tedious, I had to turn it off.  Usually I can stomach it but it was too much.

I mentioned how C-SPAN had moved it to the mobile app to cover Biden exiting.   While it's hilarious to frame it as a diss on Kenny Brit's speech, they came on with some info why.   Apparently during that whole long Biden exit, the house was still in session, so b/c of their agreement w/ the House, they have to show the house while it's in session, there's no escaping it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GQP did it again; reduced expectations for Biden's performance so low people were expecting a incoherent blob of goo; Biden is solid, but really appears to knock it out of the park because of the triumph of low expectations.

Thank you GQP!

And the visuals of him talking to everyone late into the night were so good

Edited by RatkoVarda
-i see mtutiger made this point already. Good point!
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

GQP did it again; reduced expectations for Biden's performance so low people were expecting a incoherent blob of goo; Biden is solid, but really appears to knock it out of the park because of the triumph of low expectations.

Thank you GQP!

And the visuals of him talking to everyone late into the night were so good

It's a point worth re-emphasizing.

It should be noted that it wasn't just the "GQP" doing it either.... members of the media did their part as well, given that there seemingly have been 80 "why aren't people talking about his age" articles and thinkpieces in the past six months

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

On one hand, SOTU viewers tend to lean toward the POTUS party (ie. more Dems were likely watching last night), but given Biden's need to consolidate the base, that's still a good result.

I don't agree with the Republican Border Bill that they were trying to pass on policy. However, I thought Biden really had a great moment sticking it to the Republicans saying "that's amazing you all don't even agree with your own bill." This was one of Biden's best and most effective jabs last night.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Trumpers are freaking out because their orange daddy is back to talking about how great his Covid vaccines are.

The tweeter is of course wrong.  mRNA tech was originally intended as a possible cancer treatment vector and that work has progressed. 

23 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Biden looked good and sounded fantastic last night. 

I agree.  Anybody expecting to see a senile old man must have been disappinted.  It did sound like a campaign speech, but that's what you are going to get in today's political environment.  It was an effective one.   I love how he shredded his "predecessor" too.  I doubt this speech moves the needle very far in terms of votes, but I think it dispells any notions that he is mentally incompetent.  

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I just watched a few minutes and wow... I wasn't prepared either.  It was like Kristin Wiig on SNL. A hostage video.

I came here from a clip on Twitter and had the same thought. I thought it was a cross between an SNL hostage video and a B-grade actress in a Hallmark movie.