2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

20 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just a few points on the "Are you better off" question with a few facts from JVL (Bullwerk)

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/the-definitive-answer-to-the-question?utm_source=substack&publication_id=87281&post_id=142360180&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&utm_campaign=email-share&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=false&r=45wcm&triedRedirect=true

Crime???

In Trump’s 2020, America became a criminal hellscape the likes of which we have never seen.

Under Joe Biden, the murder rate has fallen every year—and the drop from 2022 to 2023 is one of the largest declines in the murder rate in American history.

And it’s not just murder that’s down: Violent crime is down across the board.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama  

One more thing: In 2020, 8,600 American troops were in harm’s way in Afghanistan. Today that number is zero.³

I love this because the Trump running dog media are always hammering Biden for problems with the economy that inevitably struggled to recover from COVID at the time he picked it up, so if it's fair game to hammer Biden for that, then it's at least equally fair game to hammer Trump for the economy tanking in 2020 in the first place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I love this because the Trump running dog media are always hammering Biden for problems with the economy that inevitably struggled to recover from COVID at the time he picked it up, so if it's fair game to hammer Biden for that, then it's at least equally fair game to hammer Trump for the economy tanking in 2020 in the first place.

Trump showed the worst leadership in a time of crisis of any President in my lifetime.  He acted like he didn't give a ****.  How anybody could have watched his performance during Covid and think that he is competent is beyond me.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Trump showed the worst leadership in a time of crisis of any President in my lifetime.  He acted like he didn't give a ****.  How anybody could have watched his performance during Covid and think that he is competent is beyond me.  

He treated COVID as a PR crisis instead of a public health crisis. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree.  Anybody expecting to see a senile old man must have been disappinted.  It did sound like a campaign speech, but that's what you are going to get in today's political environment.  It was an effective one.   I love how he shredded his "predecessor" too.  I doubt this speech moves the needle very far in terms of votes, but I think it dispells any notions that he is mentally incompetent.  

The media coverage alone will help an decent amount IMO.... he hasn't had a lot of good news cycles in recent memory and he really flipped the script. But the cadence needs to ramp up starting now as well for lasting change.

It was pre-rebuttal but saw some speculation that Britt may have been on Trump's "short list" for VP candidates. I have a feeling that list is constantly changing, Britt was not MAGA enough for some supporters, but was liked by those who write checks.

I've got a feeling she's no longer welcome in Florida 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree.  Anybody expecting to see a senile old man must have been disappinted.  It did sound like a campaign speech, but that's what you are going to get in today's political environment.  It was an effective one.   I love how he shredded his "predecessor" too.  I doubt this speech moves the needle very far in terms of votes, but I think it dispells any notions that he is mentally incompetent.  

SOTU has long been a platform for the current president to tout his accomplishments, so of course in an election year, it's going to come off as a campaign speech.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I came here from a clip on Twitter and had the same thought. I thought it was a cross between an SNL hostage video and a B-grade actress in a Hallmark movie.

Counterpoint:

53 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think to that to the red hats, competent is far less important than simpatico.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Counterpoint:

What is their base really though? They are the party of Trump, which will be a serious problem for them in the not-so-distant future. They've completely alienated anyone remotely conservative who categorically won't vote for Trump, and a significant portion of those who will vote for Trump won't vote for anyone not named Trump; maybe not even anyone not named Donald Trump.

Katie Britt, or Nicky Haley, or [insert any non-Trump Republican] secures an electoral map reminiscent of 2008. It's all about Donald. 

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What is their base really though? They are the party of Trump, which will be a serious problem for them in the not-so-distant future. They've completely alienated anyone remotely conservative who categorically won't vote for Trump, and a significant portion of those who will vote for Trump won't vote for anyone not named Trump; maybe not even anyone not named Donald Trump.

Katie Britt, or Nicky Haley, or [insert any non-Trump Republican] secures an electoral map reminiscent of 2008. It's all about Donald. 

Which leads again to the question of, what's life after Donald like for the GOP?

Biden, fairly or unfairly, gets a lot more scrutiny for his age, but Trump is 78 and in worse health (at least in all likelihood).