2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Most people in this forum and elsewhere predicted an easy win for Clinton in 2016 even though the numbers didn't show it. I am also not very confident that Biden will win.  I say it's 50/50 right now.  I also agree that Biden is unspiring and that his success is based on not being Dump.  I fear some people may have forgotten how unbearable Trump is and won't participate this time.    

Count me as one who thought Hillary would roll in 2016. ****, man, she did roll. She simply lost the election by TKO.

The election might be 50/50 right now, and all I can say is, good thing the election is not right now.

People will not be bored and apathetic in November about this election. I promise you.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

All those people I hear on C-SPAN in the morning who say they voted for Biden and Hillary and Obama twice and Clinton twice but are going to vote for Trump now are either lying or are agents.

No, they are not lying. They are telling the absolute truth.

I know ***MANY*** people who did exactly that - voted for Bill Clinton twice, voted for Obama twice, voted for Hillary Clinton, voted for Biden and are now voting for Trump.

Why?

Trump "normalized" racism and they (the Trump voter) can now - without shame - vote for a candidate who is as proudly racist as they are.

Ask them - they will be more than happy to tell you that exact fact.

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Most people in this forum and elsewhere predicted an easy win for Clinton in 2016 even though the numbers didn't show it. I am also not very confident that Biden will win.  I say it's 50/50 right now.  I also agree that Biden is unspiring and that his success is based on not being Dump.  I fear some people may have forgotten how unbearable Trump is and won't participate this time.    

I don’t find Biden inspiring.  But I’m not sure I’m looking for inspiration right now,  if it’s a choice between old and uninspiring vs old and dangerously senile, it’s an easy choice for me to make.  Unfortunately that’s the binary choice that we will have.

As far as forgetting how unbearable Trump can be, I’m not sure about that.  I suppose he’s fallen a bit more to the back pages the last few years as opposed to when he was president.  But it’s not like he’s been quietly golfing and tending to charities since he tried to overthrow the government.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So the people who voted Obama twice and then voted Biden over Trump in 2020 are voting Trump because they finally figured out they’re racist. Fun.

Slow learners...

"I'm FLAT OUT a RACIST?"

"DAMN!!! Took me 40 years to figure that one out!!!"

I can smell...

HORSE MANURE.

Regarding 2016… I believe that enough voters in the 3 swing seats sat out because they couldn’t vote for Hillary, didn’t want Trump, and figured she would win.  If that election were held again a week later after knowing what happened I think it wakes people up.  There won’t be any “I don’t want Trump to win but I’m not voting for the democrat” votes this time.  That’s a mistake that won’t be made again. 

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Regarding 2016… I believe that enough voters in the 3 swing seats sat out because they couldn’t vote for Hillary, didn’t want Trump, and figured she would win.  If that election were held again a week later after knowing what happened I think it wakes people up.  There won’t be any “I don’t want Trump to win but I’m not voting for the democrat” votes this time.  That’s a mistake that won’t be made again. 

Clinton bears some blame in the three swing states because she didn't pay them enough attention... it's been beaten into the ground a lot, but she barely campaigned in Wisconsin in 2016, and spent time in states like Ohio, Georgia, Arizona, etc. which ended up being larger reaches than the campaign apparently believed.

That's another area where I don't think 2016 and 2024 compare.... for better or worse, the battleground is pretty much set in 6 states (maybe 7 if you count NC). The two candidates know the field and are unlikely to be taking things for granted or expanding the map unless they absolutely have data to back up any reaches (similar to how Biden pumped resources into Georgia at the end of the 2020 campaign).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

I'm shocked to find out that Katie Britt was telling lies during her kitchen performance.   

Disgraceful, but not surprising at all...

No disrespect to Jonathan Katz, but used to be the kind of story that, say, the NYT would dig up.

Everything I’m seeing today is that MAGA are very happy with Katie Britt’s audition on Thursday night and she has the inside track to be selected by Trump as his VPILF. We all remember how well that worked for John McCain. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

There will be some, but there will be fewer.

My brothers and I are going to put the full court press on our dad to join the Biden train instead of writing in Haley/Kasich.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

There will be some, but there will be fewer.

My brothers and I are going to put the full court press on our dad to join the Biden train instead of writing in Haley/Kasich.

I like your dad’s write-in ticket. 

5 hours ago, casimir said:

I don’t find Biden inspiring.  But I’m not sure I’m looking for inspiration right now,  if it’s a choice between old and uninspiring vs old and dangerously senile, it’s an easy choice for me to make.  Unfortunately that’s the binary choice that we will have.

As far as forgetting how unbearable Trump can be, I’m not sure about that.  I suppose he’s fallen a bit more to the back pages the last few years as opposed to when he was president.  But it’s not like he’s been quietly golfing and tending to charities since he tried to overthrow the government.

He's not President though, so casual watchers don't know or care what he's doing.  

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He's not President though, so casual watchers don't  know or care what he's doing.  

To people who don't like Trump, when he's not in office he's probably like Hillary was to conservatives in all the years between the WH and 2016. Someone you don't like and only hear things about that make you like them less. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Real "Kim Dynasty" vibes here

According to the same folks who constantly dissed Obama for spending any time on a golf course.

Biden ought to challenge him to a 6 minute walk followed by a mile bike ride and a putting contest at Camp David

Edited by CMRivdogs

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Disgraceful, but not surprising at all...

No disrespect to Jonathan Katz, but used to be the kind of story that, say, the NYT would dig up.

NYT finally got around to the story today. This was the strongest headline they could come up with

"Britt Tells Misleading Border Story in State of the Union Response"

and their story pretty much dropped Britt as a topic 1/3 or so of the way, pivoting to pick up Jacinto-Romero's story, which would have been fine in a stand alone companion piece but as it stood simply amounted to more glossing over/ignoring GOP lying.

Journalism wise, give the Times a point for actually tracking down and interviewing J-R for their story. They also did cite "independent journalist" Katz as original source.

Edited by gehringer_2

Some interesting things going on with the bond that Chubb gave Trump to appeal the E.Jean Carroll judgement. 

• Trump said something about it having been weird last night...Freudian (er. fraudian) slip?
  • Chubb has connections to Russia
  • Trump defamed Carroll last night .... AGAIN.  She has a right to extend the judgement. 
  • The judge gave Carroll the right to check the bond weird, but perhaps in this case smart...since Trump keeps violating the judgement