2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

17 hours ago, Edman85 said:

That district includes East Palastine. I'm wondering how much resentment toward any GOP laissez faire policies on regulating the environment and transportation may be playing a role there.

It's also not just southeast OH. You have Youngstown in there, I believe. Pretty much the eastern strip of the state south of Cleveland/Akron.

I honestly think the East Palestine issue hurts Dems more than the GOP.  I know the Biden admin tried to pin it on Trump, but ultimately the train deregulation Trump did wasn't actually in play here as the train was allowed to classify itself as non-hazardous and thus wouldn't have been held to that regulation anyway.  Local folks are well aware of this and I think they were more upset with the clean up efforts and the fact that they felt abandoned by the Biden administration.

I don't see how this is a good issue for Biden.

With all that said, based on a high level from these election results, looks like they are still turning towards Biden/Dems.  

Biden and Democrats up and down the ballot need to campaign in every big city and every metro suburb that these people on the right, from Trump on down, hate you and have contempt for you. Just like MAGA campaigns in rural America on the fact that urban liberals hate you, Democrats need to hit MAGA Republicans on the fact that they have contempt for folks in urban and suburban communities.

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

People will say it's in keeping with a standard Midwest Republican to hate on the big cities, but overall, I really think Trump has nothing but contempt for this part of the country deep down.

Trump has contempt for everyone - including his own followers

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

People will say it's in keeping with a standard Midwest Republican to hate on the big cities, but overall, I really think Trump has nothing but contempt for this part of the country deep down.

You sure it's deep down? Because the contempt seems to me to be really on the surface.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I feel like when push comes to shove, if there is an actual tangible referendum on this issue, it helps Biden.

Screenshot_20240613_205431_Washington Post.jpg

It is up to Democratic leaders and strategists and activists to make this election a referendum on reproductive freedom as a whole, contraception included.

It flies under the radar because of the Milwaukee comments, but Trump's idea of replacing the income tax with jacking up tariffs is such a terrible idea, honestly one of his worst. Like, isn't the goal of tariffs to reduce imports? If you're reducing imports, you are going to gradually bring in less in tariffs which, in turn, would lead to less government funding.

Which means cuts to government programs that everyday Americans take for granted and higher prices for everyday Americans on consumer goods. 

I doubt it would happen even if he won, it's too looney tunes for the business wing of his party, but it's a real illustration about how little he understands policy.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

You sure it's deep down? Because the contempt seems to me to be really on the surface.

It's a fair point... he said something similar in his rally in Nevada over the weekend, but the only thing Wisconsin or Michigan is good for in his mind are votes.