2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

It’s a week until the day of the schedule debate and I still don’t believe Trump is going to show up. The question I have is, how does he pulls out of it? They might complain that the basic rules are unfair to them despite having agreed to them before; or that the debates being moderated by CNN unfairly prejudices voters; or they might demand that Biden agree to two more debates under Trump rules or else. I’m sure there are other possibilities I haven’t thought of. But I would still be surprised to see the debate go on as scheduled, because unless Biden has a stroke or an otherwise cognitive episode onstage, I don’t see how Trump benefits from it.

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s a week until the day of the schedule debate and I still don’t believe Trump is going to show up. The question I have is, how does he pulls out of it? They might complain that the basic rules are unfair to them despite having agreed to them before; or that the debates being moderated by CNN unfairly prejudices voters; or they might demand that Biden agree to two more debates under Trump rules or else. I’m sure there are other possibilities I haven’t thought of. But I would still be surprised to see the debate go on as scheduled, because unless Biden has a stroke or an otherwise cognitive episode onstage, I don’t see how Trump benefits from it.

Never underestimate hubris of the candidate.  Or, that the Lacivatas Wiles team might decide that their client is too dangerous, and they need to sabotage him by allowing him to make dumb decisions. 

Edited by romad1

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's why the Dems want the debate. For good or ill they think Trump works better as an idea than a reality so they want to help get the reality out there.

Their strategy (both the campaign and it's media apparatus at Fox) of lowering expectations to floor-level for Biden may be rhetorical junk food for his base, but it doesn't help either in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by mtutiger

Yes, we need Trump to be Trump!  Free DJT to speak out about how his campaign team is backstabbing him!   Lies, assassins everywhere!  Nobody to trust Donald!  Beware, even of your money-grubbing leech children.  Except the blond one who looks like....Mother!  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Their strategy (both the campaign and it's media apparatus at Fox) of lowering expectations to floor-level for Biden may be rhetorical junk food for his base, but it doesn't help either in the grand scheme of things.

This might be one of those situations in which MAGA put their heads so far up their own asses that they are now starting to believe those things they say that they absolutely knew were lies when they started saying them. It might be as simple as, keep telling yourself the same thing over and over and you will come to believe it.

32 minutes ago, romad1 said:

One underrated thing going into this debate, IMO, is that while incumbent Presidents usually are at a disadvantage going into debate #1 because they are rusty (think Obama v. Romney in 2012), challengers usually are more accustomed to the debate format for having gone through it in the primary cycle.

That isn't the case here.... the GOP had primary debates, but Trump ducked every single one of them. And now, apparently, he's not even doing mock debates. Caveat being that some of this may be expectation setting on their part, but regardless it's not hard to imagine that Biden is taking prep more seriously than Trump is.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Or as Junior Bush once said jobs Americans don't want to do......

He seemed to have stepped into it with his comments on giving out green cards... not very MAGA.

Granted, he'd never do it and just tells people (such as the tech bros on that podcast) what they want to hear.

56 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Associate Degree, 2 year certificate from From a Junior College or Community College.

Well, makes sense since America needs more associates. These Walmart customers ain’t gonna greet themselves when they walk in. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Well, makes sense since America needs more associates. These Walmart customers ain’t gonna greet themselves when they walk in. 

Taking away jobs that used to belong to senior citizens

Between this and outsourcing ground game to Charlie Kirk, a lot of interesting tactical decisions being made

Just get the sense that this is a campaign that's getting high on it's own supply

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

AA is actually a pretty important degree. Most corps won't hire you without one. Supervisors on the line at GM must have them. Most nurses have an AA (pushing for Bachelors recently).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

AA is actually a pretty important degree. Most corps won't hire you without one. Supervisors on the line at GM must have them. Most nurses have an AA (pushing for Bachelors recently).

I was just making a joke on the word “associates”.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mtutiger said:

He seemed to have stepped into it with his comments on giving out green cards... not very MAGA.

Granted, he'd never do it and just tells people (such as the tech bros on that podcast) what they want to hear.

He said the same thing pre-2016 and did the exact opposite.