2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

i keep seeing optimism from the Dems…

Polling might be broken but the elections are trending like this.

No,  need to scare the ever-loving **** out of voters to make sure they don't think "we got this", like in 2016.    I don't think they will, but lets not even put that in their heads.     It's far too close.     Biden is doing a really good job and it's only about cult of personality.  If Biden was 15-20 years younger, they couldn't throw that Sleepy Joe **** at him.  He'd have a much bigger lead.    I get it, he's old, but only 3 years older than Trump and you tell me who is more focused and clear.  Ain't even close.  Trump has dementia.  Joe has foot-in-mouth.......he's had that his whole career.    Trump pops Adderall like M&Ms,  but will scream Biden is juiced.     But after this year,  no more tired old men, man.   

My feelings about this are similar to my feelings before the 2021 OSU vs. Michigan game. 

More dread than anticipation without the hope that I would feel as good about it as I would when it was over.    I am confident that Biden is a better person than Trump and that he's got better command of issues and that the American people will see in Trump a huckster who can't prepare.  But Trump is a brawler and he could land some haymakers.  Biden is older and looks it.  

God, grant me the serenity etc. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

We should do a GDT for the debate

I have decided that I am not going to watch.  I’ll get my info second hand from trusted sources.  (family I like, and some of you folks 😁)

I seem to be getting much too emotional, aggravated, and just plain unsettled with this lately. (Hoping I actually survive til November, and then to January)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My feelings about this are similar to my feelings before the 2021 OSU vs. Michigan game. 

More dread than anticipation without the hope that I would feel as good about it as I would when it was over.    I am confident that Biden is a better person than Trump and that he's got better command of issues and that the American people will see in Trump a huckster who can't prepare.  But Trump is a brawler and he could land some haymakers.  Biden is older and looks it.  

I feel trepidation.     Felt it in 2020 as well.  Stakes are high 

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

I feel trepidation.     Felt it in 2020 as well.  Stakes are high 

5 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I have decided that I am not going to watch.  I’ll get my info second hand from trusted sources.  (family I like, and some of you folks 😁)

I seem to be getting much too emotional, aggravated, and just plain unsettled with this lately. (Hoping I actually survive til November, and then to January)

You can play out all the ways this could backfire on Biden.  Be too aggressive and you make Trump seem like the good guy.  

Then again, what if Trump reverts to previous Biden debate form?   What if Biden can just drop a "would you shut the hell up? or a Reagan-like "There you go again" on him.  

Biden has a lot of actual ammo to use: 

• "This is as close as most convicted felons can get to a Secret Service protectee"
  • "Let me tell you about 'suckers and losers'; the people who decide against all better sense to be your legal team"
  • "My cabinet supports me; you tried to murder your VP"
  • "Why did you have all those documents and why did you fight the subpoena, and why were you so interested in the Deutch bank whistleblower?" 
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, romad1 said:

It feels more like Iowa vs. Minnesota in the snow.  

These are possibly the two worst public speaking presidents of our time.   I’m not sure how much actual substance will come out it and we’ll be left with clips of Biden looking old and Don repeating the same mismash over and over again and of course mentioning Hannibal Lecter.  

Where will this debate rank amongst the top 25 football games from the past year?

I think viewership will be incredibly high but the debate itself will mean incredibly little, barring an incredible gaffe on either side. I can't imagine aren't a lot of "undecided" voters so much as Biden supporters who are pissed at him about one thing or another. Both sides and their supporters will declare victory when the debate ends.

The election will likely come down to turnout, which is decided in October and November, not June.

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It feels more like Iowa vs. Minnesota in the snow.  

These are possibly the two worst public speaking presidents of our time.   I’m not sure how much actual substance will come out it and we’ll be left with clips of Biden looking old and Don repeating the same mismash over and over again and of course mentioning Hannibal Lecter.  

I guess you are really invested in Minnesota or Iowa.  If the victory of those two teams isn't a life or death matter for you, then it doesn't fit. 

I had thought Trump would find a way to pull out, but now that it appears the debate is going to happen after all, the thing I’m most concerned about is that Trump comes off looking reasonable and Biden’s game plan is all about Trump being a madman. People in the middle want desperately to vote for a reasonable Republican, so if Trump has a quiet debate with little or no acting out, he might make serious in-roads into the middle without losing a single red hat.

Of course, then he has four-plus month to maintain that veneer of reasonableness with the middle, so …

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

My prediction is that even if he stays under control, Trump will 100% be playing to his base, which is all he ever does,  and that's what will do him in with independents. Trump's political strategic error is that he believes his base is a majority of the voting public. it isn't.

Going nutjob is Trump playing to his base. But if it's his odious policies you're talking about—militarizing the border, abortion restrictions, trading taxes for tariffs, all that—that's not just for red hats. The center-right might hate it when Trump opens his mouth, but they definitely like what he wants to do on policy.

I'm thinking double-digit percent of voters would vote for Trump's policies in more of a J.D. Vance package. As a man who has a base of celebrity and who can breathe fire when it's convenient, Vance is actually the guy I worry about most post-Trump.