2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm thinking double-digit percent of voters would vote for Trump's policies in more of a J.D. Vance package. As a man who has a base of celebrity and who can breathe fire when it's convenient, Vance is actually the guy I worry about most post-Trump.

This sort of voter is probably already voting for Trump and really isn't the target, IMO

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The election will likely come down to turnout, which is decided in October and November, not June.

I've come to this conclusion as well... 2020 was as much about persuasion as turnout, but Biden's issues at the moment are with groups that historically have been in the Democratic corner. He has to consolidate.... there's time, but a number of things have to go right between now and November.

I don't know that tonight will change much, but certainly the spin from Trump's campaign going in doesn't exactly project confidence about their candidate IMO

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other, and hopefully actual, way that Biden wins tonight is we hear Biden talking about us, and we hear Trump talking about Trump.

Biden's campaign released a pre-debate ad a day or two ago which hit the theme of "I'm fighting for you, Trump is fighting for himself".... so a safe bet that's the direction they are looking to go in.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This sort of voter is probably already voting for Trump and really isn't the target, IMO

I don’t know about that—I think there are people who would sit out on voting for Trump but would come out to vote for Vance, assuming the exact same positions, because of the way Trump acts out and makes the whole party look like a clown show. I’m talking about people who want their fascism wrapped up in a nicely presentable package. Vance can do that.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Biden has one gaffe or stumble the media will eat him alive and be talking about how he's too old to handle the job. Trump can have incoherent word salad almost all night and they'll talk about how tough he looked up there. Biden needs to be as mistake free as he can be do to the bothsideism coverage in the media.

Certainly, some bad faith actors like Jon Stewart will be all over this with a "why do we have to pick between these two awful choices" take.  

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know about that—I think there are people who would sit out on voting for Trump but would come out to vote for Vance, assuming the exact same positions, because of the way Trump acts out and makes the whole party look like a clown show. I’m talking about people who want their fascism wrapped up in a nicely presentable package. Vance can do that.

I think people you describe do exist but the one difference is say they aren't voting for Trump, but did... and will.  They just hide it.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Of course, then he has four-plus month to maintain that veneer of reasonableness with the middle, so …

this is why Trump accepted for a debate this early. Hillary trounced in the 1st debate and the polls immediately after had her winning easily (as had been litigated ad nauseum!), but Hills didn't really show up in the rest of the debates and Trump was able to recover. 

I think that the difference here is that all Biden has to do for those worried about his age is to have his **** together and once that impression is made, what happens on the Trump side is less important. Whereas every time Hillary had additional mass exposure there was just more risk she'd tick off more people (sorry Hillary supporters, but that's just the way people take her to a large degree.)

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think that the difference here is that all Biden has to do for those worried about his age is to have his **** together and once that impression is made, what happens on the Trump side is less important. 

And expectations are really really low here.... too low in fact. Again, there's a reason that the same crowd who has been throwing the "D" word around shamelessly has spent this week backpedaling and framing Biden as the greatest debater of our time, referencing back to his debate with Paul Ryan, etc.

I don't know what will happen, but the chances of him being fine are probably greater than we are giving him credit for IMO.

A lot of people thought Biden looked really good at his State Of The Union and it hurt the Repugnantcans argument of "too old". 

Muting the mics when it's not their turn is a huge advantage for Biden.     Trump's strategy last time was to talk over him and shout over him to rattle him.  It really didn't work.     And I bet he runs his mouth the whole time his mic is off tonight too.   We won't hear it too well on t.v. but Biden will hear it there.      Just don't get into the insult game too much.  Stick to the track record and not name calling.  Be the adult.  

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

A lot of people thought Biden looked really good at his State Of The Union and it hurt the Repugnantcans argument of "too old". 

Muting the mics when it's not their turn is a huge advantage for Biden.     Trump's strategy last time was to talk over him and shout over him to rattle him.  It really didn't work.     And I bet he runs his mouth the whole time his mic is off tonight too.   We won't hear it too well on t.v. but Biden will hear it there.      Just don't get into the insult game too much.  Stick to the track record and not name calling.  Be the adult.  

The other point that has come up leading up to this debate (and it's a valid one) is that incumbents usually run into trouble in the first debate. But part of that history is that challengers generally had to fight through debates to get to the nomination, something that Donald Trump didn't do during this nomination contest because he didn't participate in any debates.

The last time *either* man has debated was the same date and place: October 22, 2020 at Belmont University. 

It's hard to compare the situation with Biden to the past cycles just because the expectations / stakes have been raised. And you can tell, given the amount of time they have prepped, that they are aware of it and aren't taking anything for granted. Not a guarantee to success, but he / they aren't being complacent as far as I can tell about the challenge ahead.

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

in 2021 I felt the pit of despair that Michigan would be destroyed against OSU.  then Hassan Haskins hurdled some fools and like that "the sun also rises"

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Biden has one gaffe or stumble the media will eat him alive and be talking about how he's too old to handle the job.

This is the nature of the election though. The right has nominated and rallied behind a misogynistic felon and the left has decided that standards matter to at least some extent (and then spent way too much time fighting with each other about to what extent).