2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Just now, pfife said:

I've listened to these guys since they were with ringer and we're called keeping it 1600.    I can't remember many times, if any, where they've not been behind Biden.  

I know what you're saying is true but I'm not sure that general statement applies to these specific ppl based on my consumption of their content.

Certainly true once he became nominee in 2020, but there's been a lot of reporting (anonymous sources of course) to the idea that parts of Obama's team and Biden's team didn't play well either.

My point is more that simply saying that because they served together doesn't mean incredible loyalty to Joe Biden.... 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

As much as I don’t like her (or any political prosecutor), a Harris/Buttigieg ticket may win running away. I don’t think Joe would allow it though and I don’t think anyone would stand up to him about it.

I also don’t think it’s even necessary. It’s June. He’s just old. His opponent is a felon who led a coup.

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why does everyone skip right the **** over the black woman when they do their fantasies about replacing Biden? 

Not everyone!

I think the concept of having the black female prosecutor be the one to take down the racist felon has some extremely appealing attributes to it, to the party and to America generally. I can't imagine there are any number of people who would vote for Biden but not Kamala, and that's probably the most important thing to consider, if they actually entertain replacing him. The worst case scenario has to be a net neutral.

But I think nominating Kamala would scare Don more than any other candidate. Kamala had her fair share of bad press early in the administration, but that seems to be past her now.

TBH we only watched the first few minutes of the "debate". My wife, the former reporter and newsroom manager, had enough and we turned off the tube. It was like watching a train wreck. I spent part of the evening reading Erik Larson's new book on the time between the 1860 presidential election and the attack on Fort Sumpter which was just as depressing (great book, btw).

I'm opposed to doing any reactionary actions. We're heading into a major holiday travel week and most uncommitted voters are more focused on heading to the beach, mountains or Up North than two old guys arguing. 

I'm willing to step back, take a breath, and evaluate the situation from a distance. Bottom line I'm anti Trump, and the main focus should be on the administration. We know what both parties bring to the table outside the guy with the title and Team Biden wins hands down.

Edited by CMRivdogs

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is exactly right. Anyone who put as much thought into it as the Biden debate prep team are assumed to have done knew EXACTLY all the wacky things was going to say, and it's as though the Biden team didn't game plan for any of that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just thought, if they couldn't speak English and just went off subtitles, Biden probably comes off a lot better as he wins on substance. 

And this is why Republicans want to expel all immigrants, pronto.

13 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm opposed to doing any reactionary actions. We're heading into a major holiday travel week and most uncommitted voters are more focused on heading to the beach, mountains or Up North than two old guys arguing.

In general, it's probably not wise to read too far into any statements that any of the politicians are making today for this reason. People make bad decisions when they are reactionary, of course you are going to see anodyne statements of support.

In the event that Biden does step aside (pretty unlikely still IMO), it's not something that will happen overnight, will take some coordination and behind the scenes stuff that we probably don't know about to make it reality. Dem Party leaders would hold the line until he would theoretically make that call.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well there is the fact that one old man has been the most successful president in decades and the other old man was the worst president in history. 

And the $64 question is, which do voters believe is which?

I think people forget Biden has a stutter. He's never been a good debater even when he was younger. Now that he's old, everyone will blame it on age. 

It's one thing to stutter where you have the thought and struggle to get it out—it's another to have an actual brain freeze where you can't get the thought out because it's not there. That's what happened in the big freeze early on, and that's the TikTokable moment that will be endlessly replayed at least until November.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

It's one thing to stutter where you have the thought and struggle to get it out—it's another to have an actual brain freeze where you can't get the thought out because it's not there. That's what happened in the big freeze early on, and that's the TikTokable moment that will be endlessly replayed at least until November.

People with a stutter do freeze. The fact is it happened and Dems are completely melting down. MAGA was right when they called Dems snowflakes. Trump has provided many TikTokable moments. Republicans just continue to rally around Trump. They aren't out there saying he needs to be replace by Haley. 

Perusing this data, it looks like Biden split his two pre-debate projections in 2020 by +4 and -4, while Trump outperformed his pre-debate projection last night by +12. Not real comforting.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Perusing this data, it looks like Biden split his two pre-debate projections in 2020 by +4 and -4, while Trump outperformed his pre-debate projection last night by +12. Not real comforting.

It ultimately didn't change the opinion of who they would vote for.