2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It is true that when you listen to the debate versus watching it, Biden doesn't seem to do as poorly.

someone mentioned Kennedy/Nixon. Supposedly people who listened on the radio though Nixon won the debate. On TV Nixon came across badly and they say it was the make-up.  Could be,  but I also tend to think it was just that when you watched Nixon you could always see in his eyes that he was a calculating liar.

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think there's legitimate concerns coming out of last night, but it gets exhausting watching guys like Wasserman, Astead Herndon with NYT, others in the national press who have *never* liked Biden even dating back to 2019/2020 act impartial about this stuff. They just are not.

I would say not moving the needle isn't good even if it's the best case scenario here (Biden needed to use this debate to help gain on his current standing), but given the freakout from the pundit class, it would be kinda hilarious if their hysteria amounted to a hill of ****. Truly some of the most cloistered people in society.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I think there's legitimate concerns coming out of last night, but it gets exhausting watching guys like Wasserman, Astead Herndon with NYT, others in the national press who have *never* liked Biden even dating back to 2019/2020 act impartial about this stuff. They just are not.

I would say not moving the needle isn't good even if it's the best case scenario here (Biden needed to use this debate to help gain on his current standing), but given the freakout from the pundit class, it would be kinda hilarious if their hysteria amounted to a hill of ****. Truly some of the most cloistered people in society.

I think not moving the needle was a good result because I always knew Biden was a bad debater and this would be his biggest weakness. It's no accident Biden set the debate so early. 

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

someone mentioned Kennedy/Nixon. Supposedly people who listened on the radio though Nixon won the debate. On TV Nixon came across badly and they say it was the make-up.  Could be,  but I also tend to think it was just that when you watched Nixon you could always see in his eyes that he was a calculating liar.

Nixon was recovering from a knee injury (slammed it with a limo door?) at the time of the debate. He re-injured it entering the TV station in Chicago. He also turned down makeup offered by producer Don Hewitt (later of 60 Minutes fame). The lack of makeup combined with a five o'clock shadow looked bad compared to Kennedy whose preparation for the debate included tanning while on the trail.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Nixon was recovering from a knee injury (slammed it with a limo door?) at the time of the debate. He re-injured it entering the TV station in Chicago. He also turned down makeup offered by producer Don Hewitt (later of 60 Minutes fame). The lack of makeup combined with a five o'clock shadow looked bad compared to Kennedy whose preparation for the debate included tanning while on the trail.

he was still always shifty.....🦃

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Hey NYT, should Trump serve his country by dropping out for being found guilty of 34 felony counts?

I hate to pick on the NYT because it went beyond them, but if we are sitting here two weeks from now and it's status quo or close to status quo in this Presidential race, given how far out over their skis they got.... like, how do you walk that back?

They aren't going to let up, but jeez, it would make them look a lot more irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I hate to pick on the NYT because it went beyond them, but if we are sitting here two weeks from now and it's status quo or close to status quo in this Presidential race, given how far out over their skis they got.... like, how do you walk that back?

They aren't going to let up, but jeez, it would make them look a lot more irrelevant.

The Times are in the typical ideologue trap of preferring to lose than to admit they are wrong about anything.