2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

34 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Playing this out fully. If Biden is considered not capable of running for re-election, what the hell is he doing serving as President?

I am less concerned with them spinning about this because, if in fact this is a process to bring about a change (IDK at this point), a lot of **** needs to happen in order to do it in the best possible way. It at least buys some time.

It's easy to fire off a round on Twitter about Joe needing to stand down, but gaming out what the reaction to him serving out his term, for instance, needs to thought through 

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I am less concerned with them spinning about this because, if in fact this is a process to bring about a change (IDK at this point), a lot of **** needs to happen in order to do it in the best possible way. It at least buys some time.

It's easy to fire off a round on Twitter about Joe needing to stand down, but gaming out what the reaction to him serving out his term, for instance, needs to thought through 

Put another way, if this is going to happen, it stands to reason that the campaign is going to think through every possible angle... They don't have the luxury of acting out of pure emotion like the NYT Editorial Board does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Playing this out fully. If Biden is considered not capable of running for re-election, what the hell is he doing serving as President?

Taking it a step farther, if Biden (Joe or Jill) decide he's unable to continue to govern, Harris becomes President. She'll have to nominate a Vice President, that must be approved by a majority of both houses of Congress.

This happened with Nixon and Agnew. That was 50 years ago. I just can't see today's Congress, especially the kindergarten called the House of Representatives, approving anyone Harris would nominate tossing the executive branch and country further into crisis mode. 

The presidential stuff in the Constitution deeply, deeply sucks.

48 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Practically speaking, she would just end up not having a VP until if she won the Presidency

Technically true, but if the Democrats throw Joe overboard and allow Kamala to run without a mate, they’ll look like they are in disarray. Yes, I understand they would actually be in disarray, but I’m spotlighting how it would look because that’s the only thing that would be relevant when it comes to voting among the choices.

Edited by chasfh

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Technically true, but if the Democrats throw Joe overboard and allow Kamala to run without a mate, they’ll look like they are in disarray. Yes, I understand they would actually be in disarray, but I’m spotlighting how it would look because that’s the only thing that would be relevant when it comes to voting among the choices.

The party can choose a running mate at the convention. He or she would not serve until after they are sworn in in January, if they win.

If I'm Russia, what do I want now? For Biden to stay in the race.

If I'm Russia and I want Biden to stay in the race, what am I going to do? Flood the zone with info ops encouraging Biden and his followers to stay in the race.

If I'm Russia and I want to flood the zone with info ops encouraging Biden and his followers to stay in the race, what would be a good way to do that? Put out bull**** polls right after the debate showing Biden's poll numbers are going up.

I'm not saying this is definitely what Russia is doing. I'm saying this would be a good way to do that.

Just now, romad1 said:

Ex Republicans who live in fear of a Trump Presidency and who intimately know the methods of the enemy and who greatly assisted the construction of an antiTrump coalition.  Friend.  

Hardly any of these ex-republicans were in the fight in 2016. It wasn't until after the monster they helped create became president.