2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The media has just gone insane. I have no idea what he's trying to imply here. My uncle who died last week had Parkinson's. 

Agreed. Throw in that a loooooooot of people are dealing with family members, not necessarily elderly, with degenerative brain diseases right now, and they shouldn't be taking this kind of thing lightly.

15 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Unless Michelle Obama wants to jump in this, the best option is to get behind Biden. 

its because they others don't yet have the name recognition.    That's it.    A month of getting to know all of them and they'd all do better, but please, Michelle..........save your country. 

11 hours ago, oblong said:

A written cognitive test is entirely reasonable.  Give them 3 hours, SAT style. 

speech and physical limitations being roadblocks to the job is actually discriminatory and ageism. 

I mean legally, you're right, but c'mon, it's unfair of anyone to pass on an candidate because his speech is poor?   Part of the job is proving you can lead this country and it's shown most easily by being an effective speaker.  It's not the only thing, but it's pretty important.

In Biden's case it doesn't matter though, he's still an effective speaker, he just had some overseas travel (12 days before the debate) that affected him.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/07/02/biden-blames-overseas-travel-for-poor-debate-i-nearly-fell-asleep/74286978007/

So when I vote for him, I not only have to worry about that 4am call, I also have to worry about any 9pm calls after any overseas trips in the past two weeks....great.

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Agreed. Throw in that a loooooooot of people are dealing with family members, not necessarily elderly, with degenerative brain diseases right now, and they shouldn't be taking this kind of thing lightly.

Not related to the Parkinson's comment, but Alex Thompson and Axios' coverage of this is another good example of how this episode has brought the worst out of the media.

He's always had sour grapes toward Biden and had a book deal about Biden canceled... Not exactly an objective source, but we are supposed to treat him like one despite this and his obvious editorializing on his Twitter acct

There's a larger discussion to be had about how Twitter and social media has done a lot of damage to the institution of journalism... It makes it a lot easier to question objectivity for sure

Edited by mtutiger

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is actually old. Been known for some time. I think I might have even seen it referenced here.

Yeah, it's been know for a long time.  The details seem unbelievable to me, but I don't doubt for an instant that he would have sex with minors.  I always assumed that he bought all the beauty pageants to get easy access to young, beautiful women and girls.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I mean legally, you're right, but c'mon, it's unfair of anyone to pass on an candidate because his speech is poor?   Part of the job is proving you can lead this country and it's shown most easily by being an effective speaker.  It's not the only thing, but it's pretty important.

In Biden's case it doesn't matter though, he's still an effective speaker, he just had some overseas travel (12 days before the debate) that affected him.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/07/02/biden-blames-overseas-travel-for-poor-debate-i-nearly-fell-asleep/74286978007/

So when I vote for him, I not only have to worry about that 4am call, I also have to worry about any 9pm calls after any overseas trips in the past two weeks....great.

In normal circumstances, I think it's not unreasonable for voters to consider poor communication skills in judging a presidential candidate.

Of course, these are not normal circumstances.     

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

and it's further proof to their irrelevancy and why their only value is not one of advice and guidance, meaning someone you should listen to, but rather "do what they want or they will try to hurt you".    They have no moral compass.

The self-flagellation is a bit too on-the-nose.

I think one can be skeptical of Biden continuing this campaign or even feel deceived while recognizing how gross the coverage of this has been. Lee's comment applies in particular here:

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

In normal circumstances, I think it's not unreasonable for voters to consider poor communication skills in judging a presidential candidate.

Of course, these are not normal circumstances.     

These guys seem either incapable or (worse) uninterested in considering the whole context. And I will not let them off the hook for that

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The amazing thing is they aren’t protected. Trump will come for CNN and MSNBC. 

As of today, CNN and MSNBC are protected from Trump even if he becomes POTUS again.  There is no official act of a president which allows for an attack against the first amendment.  That said, it would eventually go to the courts and I no longer have any confidence there.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I think Biden has proven he can lead the country in ways that don't depend on how being a smooth talker.

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

As of today, CNN and MSNBC are protected from Trump even if he becomes POTUS again.  There is no official act of a president which allows for an attack against the first amendment.  That said, it would eventually go to the courts and I no longer have any confidence there.

Trump doesn't have to make a grand decree that puts them out of business. He can just nibble them to death like a duck with things that hurt their business until they decide to change their tone about him just to make it stop.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Biden has proven he can lead the country in ways that don't depend on how being a smooth talker.

Not being a smooth talker and possibly not have the wherewithal are two very different things.  You don't have to convince me who to vote for.  Unlike most of you though, I'm really starting to think Jill has been running the show much more so than Joe and that hasn't waivered who I'll vote for a bit.  I'm just not going to pretend that everything is fine about it.