2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The bulwark is not an ally. 

Too bad, we are voting against Trump.   Your whole strategy of pissing on everyone who doesn't agree with you here is not helping you.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Too bad, we are voting against Trump.   Your whole strategy of pissing on everyone who doesn't agree with you here is not helping you.

Tim Miller has been pissing himself over this debate. He isn’t helping. The Lincoln Project guys are the only ones who are acting like Dems should have. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Traveling this weekend from SE Michigan, back home, with overnights in Dayton and Lexington Va. Only a handful of Trump signs. I did see three overkill Trump houses where every inch of the front yard was covered. Nothing like 2016 or 2020.

Personally I think people are reluctant to be overt politically this year. 

Meanwhile the Trumpy neighbors who flew their flag of distress took it down just before we left last week. I don't know if the HOA or someone else got to them. Noticed the proper flag etiquette this afternoon when we got home. I know their daughter is stationed in either Norfolk or Va Beach (I think) maybe she had a talk with her parents.

I drove from IL to Upstate NY and back over the past week and saw very little campaign paraphernalia of any kind. On cars or in front of houses.

Energy wise, it just isn't 2016 or 2020 anywhere I go. Although there's time for that to change.

Edited by mtutiger

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In 2020, there was one goal. Beat Trump.

I remember the shock nationwide when Buttigieg, running third in the polls after having won Iowa and tied with Bernie for winning in New Hampshire, dropped out and endorsed Biden after South Carolina. It was considered a very early drop out, as he still had something of a chance. But he saw the unlikelihood of a comeback, and recognized that beating Trump in the general (and - sure - getting his cabinet position as a thank you) was more important than sticking around in the spotlight for a few more primaries.

Why is there this bitching about Biden now? Who gives a flying **** if he's old? He was old in 2020 too. Deal with it in 2028. Dems need to get over themselves and get behind him. Now.

I've gone back and forth on whether it would be right for him to step aside or not, and if he did would support Kamala 100% without question.

However, seeing the likes of both Nate Silver and Alex Thompson (yesterday) suggest that the same people calling for Biden to step aside in the media would turn questions on her about his age (and being "complicit" or whatever) is really revealing... and it really pisses me off. 

I honestly don't know the correct answer on this one, but one thing is clear: I would not be looking to media figures for guidance on this at all.

Edited by mtutiger

I said this in the other thread too but for the vast majority of people nothing has changed.  Yes Biden is old and might die or need to resign. That is as true in 2024 as it was in 2020. Voters were ok with that and having a Kamala Harris presidency and they are ok with it now. This is nothing new because in addition to possibly Biden dying, Clarence Thomas, Sam Alito, or Donald Trump might die too within 4 years.  Having a President Biden or Harris deal with that is preferable to the only other alternative. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, oblong said:

I said this in the other thread too but for the vast majority of people nothing has changed.  Yes Biden is old and might die or need to resign. That is as true in 2020 as it was in 2016. Voters were ok with that and having a Kamala Harris presidency and they are ok with it now. This is nothing new because in addition to possibly Biden dying, Clarence Thomas, Sam Alito, or Donald Trump might die too within 4 years.  Having a President Biden or Harris deal with that is preferable to the only other alternative. 

Yet another thing that got lost in the coverage of the debate, given that the pundits apparently can't walk and chew gum at the same time, is the Trump "truth" about Project 2025, backing away from it. They saw the comments from Heritage coming out, they are seeing it break through. When you have Presidential allies talking about a second revolution that will be bloodless "unless the left allows it to be", aren't you gonna ask some questions about that? Put it on A1, above the fold? Something? Anything?

It's just a total failure on their part.... the inability to compartmentalize and cover actual substance is a dereliction of duty. At this point, the only question is whether it's intentional or not.

Edited by mtutiger

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yet another thing that got lost in the coverage of the debate, given that the pundits apparently can't walk and chew gum at the same time, is the Trump "truth" about Project 2025, backing away from it. They saw the comments from Heritage coming out, they are seeing it break through. When you have Presidential allies talking about a second revolution that will be bloodless "unless the left allows it to be", aren't you gonna ask some questions about that? Put it on A1, above the fold? Something? Anything?

It's just a total failure on their part.... the inability to compartmentalize and cover actual substance is a dereliction of duty. At this point, the only question is whether it's intentional or not.

That’s a good question. Laziness and just going with their echo chamber.   I think it’s an element of a group of people realizing their time has passed and they get bitter about it.  I saw a meme that explained that older people often bash the tastes of younger people as a reaction to understanding that what’s hip and popular and all of that is not about them anymore.  The “grumpy old man” syndrome.  I think that’s true with political punditry.  They are used to setting the narrative and they can’t do that anymore.  I will say it until I am blue in the face.  They are not relevant anymore. 

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

That’s a good question. Laziness and just going with their echo chamber.   I think it’s an element of a group of people realizing their time has passed and they get bitter about it.  I saw a meme that explained that older people often bash the tastes of younger people as a reaction to understanding that what’s hip and popular and all of that is not about them anymore.  The “grumpy old man” syndrome.  I think that’s true with political punditry.  They are used to setting the narrative and they can’t do that anymore.  I will say it until I am blue in the face.  They are not relevant anymore. 

My revelation on this happened before this fiasco broke out, but it's the fact that so many of these guys (most of them based in New York or Washington) feel they are explainers for everything going on in "Middle America"... when you actually read these publications and you actually *live* in Middle America and it doesn't line up with what you are seeing day to day, it's hard not to ask questions as to the utility of the reporting.

It's independent to the larger questions about Biden's candidacy, but most of these guys don't have any special insight as to what's going on in the field IMO

34 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My revelation on this happened before this fiasco broke out, but it's the fact that so many of these guys (most of them based in New York or Washington) feel they are explainers for everything going on in "Middle America"... when you actually read these publications and you actually *live* in Middle America and it doesn't line up with what you are seeing day to day, it's hard not to ask questions as to the utility of the reporting.

It's independent to the larger questions about Biden's candidacy, but most of these guys don't have any special insight as to what's going on in the field IMO

Which makes the jokes about "in this WI diner folks are wondering about…." really satire than jokes. 

I will say one thing I've learned about dementia, and obviously all cases are different, is the person who is sick often does not know they are sick. Also, given how difficult it is to get a neurology appointment right now (not for POTUS), a lot of people are going through this right now. I really hope people stop with the flippant jokes about that disease in an attempt to score political points.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Tim Miller has been pissing himself over this debate. He isn’t helping. The Lincoln Project guys are the only ones who are acting like Dems should have. 

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

From the allies that some wish to spurn.

…..

Adam Schiff made the ****list. First it was Hillary’s emails, then Biden’s age, how can he not see it will be something different with a new candidate? Over a week later and Democrats are still entertaining this fantasy. What a bunch of spineless little bitches. 

Bernie Sanders is just as culpable for giving us Trump as the Never Trumpers. At least Bernie Sanders is trying to refocus this election on Trump where Tim Miller and the Bulwark are playing their fantasies of replacing Biden with anyone but the black woman. The Lincoln Project has been the only one who has been focused since the debate. 

MB, I agree this election should be on policy and as someone that focuses on policies, the only caveat being I priority different policies over others.  Unfortunately many voters don't do that and unfortunately many of those voters are needed to win an election.  In the 'old' days, you'd get a person that was able to articulate their views better then the other person or often outside forces (economy) steal the perception away from someone and towards another.  

Biden has no chance himself to articulate his views to the public in a convincing way.  Maybe the dems stick with him and there is an all out blitz by everyone on his team to do that work.  Actually that's what i'm hoping as I'm guessing he won't back out.  But because he can't do that, it's tough to simply tell voters that don't really care about the news or politics to sit down and review the policies and by the way, we have no way to make this interesting for you.

46 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

MB, I agree this election should be on policy and as someone that focuses on policies, the only caveat being I priority different policies over others.  Unfortunately many voters don't do that and unfortunately many of those voters are needed to win an election.  In the 'old' days, you'd get a person that was able to articulate their views better then the other person or often outside forces (economy) steal the perception away from someone and towards another.  

Biden has no chance himself to articulate his views to the public in a convincing way.  Maybe the dems stick with him and there is an all out blitz by everyone on his team to do that work.  Actually that's what i'm hoping as I'm guessing he won't back out.  But because he can't do that, it's tough to simply tell voters that don't really care about the news or politics to sit down and review the policies and by the way, we have no way to make this interesting for you.

But see… I think voters are actually thinking about policy but it’s our overlords in the media who think they still have the power to dictate what people think. And when you push back on them they expose themselves as knowing their livelihood is threatened.   But rank and file voters don’t really care about it and know Biden is old and will take the risk. It’s the pundits who have a problem. They need ratings and podcast hits and clicks.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

But see… I think voters are actually thinking about policy but it’s our overlords in the media who think they still have the power to dictate what people think. And when you push back on them they expose themselves as knowing their livelihood is threatened.   But rank and file voters don’t really care about it and know Biden is old and will take the risk. It’s the pundits who have a problem. They need ratings and podcast hits and clicks.  

To your point, Project 2025.... it has gained a lot of steam in the zeitgeist, and that is in spite of a media that can hardly be bothered to mention it.

• Like 1