2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I’m confused.

We’ve spent almost 8 years of Trump and the MAGA’s ridiculously and dangerously calling CNN, MSNBC, and all the network news as fake and fully left leaning propaganda machines.  I’m not sure I grasp how we’ve now gotten to the point where these same media outlets are seen as supporting Trump and actively helping defeat Biden.

I get these entities have long since crossed the line of broadcast journalism to for-profit media conglomerates but this is biggest Presidential election of our time.  It’s a big enough news story on its own that will have eyes on it for months regardless of who wins.  I’m not sure why they would need to manipulate the narrative to get extra views and even more boggled why they would flip over to Trump.  

What am I missing here?

8 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I will say one thing I've learned about dementia, and obviously all cases are different, is the person who is sick often does not know they are sick. Also, given how difficult it is to get a neurology appointment right now (not for POTUS), a lot of people are going through this right now. I really hope people stop with the flippant jokes about that disease in an attempt to score political points.

I don't love how casually it's being thrown around either. I hope it doesn't create or accentuate stigmas around the subject.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m confused.

We’ve spent almost 8 years of Trump and the MAGA’s ridiculously and dangerously calling CNN, MSNBC, and all the network news as fake and fully left leaning propaganda machines.  I’m not sure I grasp how we’ve now gotten to the point where these same media outlets are seen as supporting Trump and actively helping defeat Biden.

I get these entities have long since crossed the line of broadcast journalism to for-profit media conglomerates but this is biggest Presidential election of our time.  It’s a big enough news story on its own that will have eyes on it for months regardless of who wins.  I’m not sure why they would need to manipulate the narrative to get extra views and even more boggled why they would flip over to Trump.  

What am I missing here?

Not saying I agree with it totally, but the idea is that Trump and the media have a "Sam and Ralph" relationship where they are enemies but, ultimately, are in a mutually beneficial relationship where Trump gets attention and to run against them and where media entities drive consumers to their product. It is worth noting that news media, across all platforms, has seen precipitous declines in ratings and clicks over the last four years.... without a doubt, they will gain numbers if Trump gets back into the White House.

I honestly the situation goes beyond this, though, in the sense that the media and Biden have never had a great relationship either (the whole NYT interview in 2020 and the fame gained by the elevator attendant afterward is case in point of the dynamic there). 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

The media has NEVER been left leaning.

It has always been right leaning/corporate controlled.

How many negative stories did you ever read about Ford ownership of the Lions for the last 60 years?

None?

Hell – Jerry Green of the Detroit News even wrote an article blaming the Lions woes on the fans.

Karsch and Anderson of 97.1 – The Ticket had a long standing policy that if you were going to blame the Lions woes on ownership you weren’t allowed on the air.

Like Terry Foster said – it didn't matter if the headline was Kennedy Shot or Reagan Shot - the Crowley’s ad was ALWAYS on page 3A.

It should be of no surprise that the media is in the tank for Trump.

It's the 2016 playbook repeated. Instead of obsessing over Hillary's emails, and oh yea, remember when she was dehydrated one day that summer?

Meanwhile no one is going after the convicted guy for his constant lying including his golf game (he just makes up numbers for rounds he never played)

His energy level is so low, he only doing a couple poorly attended rallies a week and even there they have to pay people to show up. 

Right now I'm betting neither candidate makes it to election day

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

It's the 2016 playbook repeated. Instead of obsessing over Hillary's emails, and oh yea, remember when she was dehydrated one day that summer?

Meanwhile no one is going after the convicted guy for his constant lying including his golf game (he just makes up numbers for rounds he never played)

His energy level is so low, he only doing a couple poorly attended rallies a week and even there they have to pay people to show up. 

Right now I'm betting neither candidate makes it to election day

The problem is, these weak kneed Dems are fueling this media speculation. It's unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The problem is, these weak kneed Dems are fueling this media speculation. It's unbelievable. 

Dems have always been weak kneed. You're too young to remember the Eggleton fiasco. Not that it really mattered in the long run

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

Dems have always been weak kneed. You're too young to remember the Eggleton fiasco. Not that it really mattered in the long run

Oh, I know they are. I just thought when facing the consequences we are facing they would find their spine. 

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’m confused.

What am I missing here?

These networks have criticized Trump, but have also normalized his behavior.  They want to make sure he stays around because his stupid, outrageous quotes and behavior are worth millions to him.  

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They want to make sure he stays around because his stupid, outrageous quotes and behavior are worth millions to him.  

But Trump losing will make them much more money.

He’s not going to concede and that’s the biggest possible news story.  God only knows what he’ll create this time.  Probably something more evil than the attack on the Capital.  He’s got his own Supreme Court to back him now too.    

If it were about money and the bigger story, they would be backing Biden and hoping for the Trump scorched earth response.

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

But Trump losing will make them much more money.

He’s not going to concede and that’s the biggest possible news story.  God only knows what he’ll create this time.  Probably something more evil than the attack on the Capital.  He’s got his own Supreme Court to back him now too.    

If it were about money and the bigger story, they would be backing Biden.  

Nah because they get 4 years of stories like him nuking hurricanes, injecting bleach, altering maps with a sharpie, tossing paper towels, and every other crazy thing he does. It also opens up a whole bunch of book deals. Nobody wants to read a book about Joe Biden.