2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

14 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

One of the more ridiculous things I've read today.
 https://open.substack.com/pub/thebulwark/p/jd-vance-has-a-problem-on-his-face?r=45wcm&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Trump may eliminate JD Vance from his VP list because he has a beard.

I can think of a few more reasons why I don't like him. The beard is not on the list

and the eyeliner

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll admit, I'm surprised Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have come out us being fully behind Biden.

I am not at all surprised. Elizabeth Warren has always been a team player. Plus, I was the guy who started the Elizabeth Warren for President thread back in 2011 or so, so I’m a fan.

Edited by chasfh

14 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Damn squad is on board. 

I am also not surprised that AOC and Omar are aboard. They have some far left positions but they have displayed some realpolitik as well the last few years. I would be more surprised if Cori Bush and Rashida Tlaib voice their support. I fully expect Tlaib to stay on the outside.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's one good reason the whole ''replace Joe" thing has nowhere to go, because if Joe is out Harris has to be the presumptive "heir" --and if Harris has to be the answer, there is zero point in doing anything - she's already there.

I’ve been giving more thought to the whole “it has to be Kamala Harris” thing. If Joe were to simply coronate Kamala, wouldn’t there be a huge uproar in the party and create actual factions over it, at least behind the scenes at first? I mean, yeah, black woman, yada yada, I get that. But there are a few other people in the party who would like the nomination themselves and they have vocal supporters, too. The party would go into flip flops over it. Just one more reason Joe has to stay in the race. Get him over the finish line in November, then figure out when Joe steps down if at all. Because remember, we’re not voting for just the candidate—we’re voting for all the people they bring in, too. And those people have to be there behind Kamala if/when she takes over.

Edited by chasfh

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I went to a neurologist for a suspected pinched nerve this year.  I got an EMG nerve test (really painful test, by the way) primarily to learn more about the source of the pinched nerve.  The EMG also tests for Parkinsons, MS and other nerve disorders even though there was no reason to think I had any of those diseases.  One could easily twist that around if I were a candidate! 

That’s it, I’m not voting for you anymore. 😉

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

One of the more ridiculous things I've read today.
 https://open.substack.com/pub/thebulwark/p/jd-vance-has-a-problem-on-his-face?r=45wcm&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Trump may eliminate JD Vance from his VP list because he has a beard.

I can think of a few more reasons why I don't like him. The beard is not on the list

I had no idea J.D. Vance was even gay. 😝

Seriously, I believe Trump fears J.D. Vance will upstage him. And personally, I fear J.D. Vance right now more than anyone else outside Trump. He’s famous, he’s young, he’s articulate, he’s into the fascism, and I bet mainline Republicans are just itching to vote for exactly that kind of guy.

• Like 1

The next Presidential debate is scheduled for September 10 and hosted by ABC.    Should either of them go through with it less than 2 months before Election Day?   

We know the kind of guy that Joe Biden is and he’s going to be chomping at the bit to get back and redeem himself.  He’ll want to do it badly but should his people let him?  He can’t afford something similar happening again so close to the vote.  

Trump was horrible.  He gained little ground, if any, on a night that went very badly for his opponent.  This was also with moderators that let him lie without any recourse and refuse to answer the direct question.  CNN took heat for that and I would be surprised to see ABC let him do the same.   

We may get a game of chicken to see who can hold out the longest before coming up with a reason to not do it.  We could also see both sides thinking their opposition is a weak debater and going through with it with guns blazing.  

• Like 1

I know I thought Trump would pull out of the debate claiming natural bias againt him, but now I'm thinking they both have to go through with it, Biden to redeem himself, and Trump to retain his honor in front of his honor-fetishizing constituency.

44 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The 4D chess aspect of all this is the play to get Trump and Biden to take independent mental fitness tests. 

Personally, I would like them to get dependent mental fitness tests—meaning dependent only on the interpretation of a nonpolitical, purely scientific evaluation methodology.

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I think it hears posting in full here, at the risk of dovetailing into her obvious sales pitch for her book and whatnot.

On Trump and Project 2025: 1) Yes, Trump knows what it is. No, he likely doesn’t care, because policy is a thing other people do while he steals money and ensures impunity for himself and his backers. 2) Trump is not an ideologue. He is a bulldozer used by two GOP-linked networks that often collaborate. 3) The first network is made of hard right-wing ideologues that have been gradually implementing a neo-fascist US since the Reagan era, chipping away at courts, regulations, rights, etc. This is the Project 2025 network. 4) The second network is transnational organized crime, the network in which Trump is most at home. Their goal is to collapse the US and strip it and sell it for parts, much like the oligarch wars that followed the collapse of the USSR. This network has been active for decades as well. Its dynamics and Trump’s role are laid out in my book HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT. 5) Both networks contain fanatics of varying faiths who deploy rhetoric with apocalyptic overtones. Some are true messianic believers. Others exploit religion for financial and political gain. 6) Broken or corrupt US institutions, esp the DOJ, have allowed these anti-American entities to grow and thrive. 7) Blackmail, threats, and bribery play a role in solidifying their power, but many officials are simply complicit, including in the Democratic Party. 😎 The two networks may clash at some point, depending on whether their goal is American autocracy or collapse. Either way, Americans will get some form of mafia state kleptocracy, which is what we have already. 9) I’ve explained all this in details in my books and free newsletter and interviews. It’s a complicated history. What’s not complicated is that the big danger isn’t Trump, the man, but Trump *and* the criminal billionaire networks behind him. The latter need to be examined far more than the former.

Just now, chasfh said:

I think it hears posting in full here, at the risk of dovetailing into her obvious sales pitch for her book and whatnot.

On Trump and Project 2025: 1) Yes, Trump knows what it is. No, he likely doesn’t care, because policy is a thing other people do while he steals money and ensures impunity for himself and his backers. 2) Trump is not an ideologue. He is a bulldozer used by two GOP-linked networks that often collaborate. 3) The first network is made of hard right-wing ideologues that have been gradually implementing a neo-fascist US since the Reagan era, chipping away at courts, regulations, rights, etc. This is the Project 2025 network. 4) The second network is transnational organized crime, the network in which Trump is most at home. Their goal is to collapse the US and strip it and sell it for parts, much like the oligarch wars that followed the collapse of the USSR. This network has been active for decades as well. Its dynamics and Trump’s role are laid out in my book HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT. 5) Both networks contain fanatics of varying faiths who deploy rhetoric with apocalyptic overtones. Some are true messianic believers. Others exploit religion for financial and political gain. 6) Broken or corrupt US institutions, esp the DOJ, have allowed these anti-American entities to grow and thrive. 7) Blackmail, threats, and bribery play a role in solidifying their power, but many officials are simply complicit, including in the Democratic Party. 😎 The two networks may clash at some point, depending on whether their goal is American autocracy or collapse. Either way, Americans will get some form of mafia state kleptocracy, which is what we have already. 9) I’ve explained all this in details in my books and free newsletter and interviews. It’s a complicated history. What’s not complicated is that the big danger isn’t Trump, the man, but Trump *and* the criminal billionaire networks behind him. The latter need to be examined far more than the former.

TIAL that you can't post an 8 and a close parenthesis back-to-back without it turning into a cool guy with glasses emoji.

Whatever is going to happen needs to be resolved by the convention.   The cowardice of the Eastern Establishment that Nixon decried is pretty much in evidence.  Such brave reporters attacking Biden when Trump is so much worse.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

That’s it, I’m not voting for you anymore. 😉

I promise:

universal healthcare

higher taxes for billionaires

no cuts to social programs.

deadened baseballs

no extra inning runners

• Like 1