2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

Some are, most are inquiring on the 'what if' serious conversations with Biden (and donors) change Biden's mind.  

I do agree with you here, this doesn't look over to me at all

• Like 1

Especially a debate that no one watched.

The only ones I know that watched the debate are Trumpers who think that Trump is indeed Jesus Christ himself.

Their reactions were nonplussed at best and bored at worst.

To still be talking about the debate almost 2 weeks later is insane.

56 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The old guard GOP, finally disabused of the idea they will ever get their old party back, is reduced to hoping the Dems can somehow fail them back into relevance.

Edited by gehringer_2

I think Biden is being selfish.   He's too old.   Just stop.  Trump is too old as well.    One really good term coming out of that abomination is a really good legacy to leave.    This country needs new energy.   Put the ego aside - do the right thing for your country while you still have it.     The courageous thing to do would be to pass the torch.  

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Food for thought....

I still don't think Biden's out of the woods, but the lack of a unified response by those wishing for him to step aside was a mistake. And at some level, it goes back to the fact that many of the folks who had spent months leading up to the debate making arguments about Biden stepping aside never leveled with their readers with the reality that Kamala Harris, for many reasons that don't need to be rehashed, is pretty much the only realistic option.

When you look at who Biden's strongest soldiers are at the moment in Congress (the Congressional Black Caucus), one wonders whether these many pundits who dreamed aloud of Gretchen Whitmer or Josh Shapiro may have impacted the thinking.

There can’t be a unified response because the Democrats are not a unified party. They are a party of different factions with differing agendas. They are almost impossible to truly unify. Everyone wants their particular bed feathered. Contrast that with Republicans, who are monolithic in demography and ideology. That’s what a unified party looks like. Plus, Republicans waste no time when it comes to excommunicating apostates. With Democrats there’s no one at the top to pull that particular lever, so anyone can say just about anything they want and stay inside the tent pissing out. Since there’s no penalty for pay for party apostasy, there’s no incentive to unify, or more exactly, no disincentive to prevent acting out.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah...

It’s a fair response, and i don’t blame her. She doesn’t want to be caught saying something off the cuff that will become the star of the next news cycle.

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Yet Emerson also released a poll today that asked about a number of different alternatives and, lo and behold, none of them are really doing better than Joe Biden.

Some of that is name recognition, but the idea that any other candidate would be matching Tammy Baldwin in a hypothetical Wisconsin poll is, at best, an unproven assertion at this point.

I feel it's almost all name ID when it comes to why others like Harris, Whitmer, Shapiro, Newsome, etc. aren't polling much or any better than Biden. I think if you gave voters time to get to know some of these people better and their names became more familiar with voters they'd start polling ahead, both of where they are now and ahead of Biden.

With regards to the Senate candidates polling better than Biden, if we don't want to accept Tammy Baldwin as an example than what about Ruben Gallego in Arizona? Gallego has never run statewide before this year in Arizona so only now is he developing a statewide profile and name ID. He's polling ahead of Biden as well. Maybe that's all a Kari Lake factor, maybe not. Same thing with Slotkin in Michigan. Outside of one recent Morning Consult outlier, Slotkin has polled ahead of where Biden is now too. She's also never run statewide in Michigan and has only been a Congresswoman for less than 3 full terms.

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I feel it's almost all name ID when it comes to why others like Harris, Whitmer, Shapiro, Newsome, etc. aren't polling much or any better than Biden. I think if you gave voters time to get to know some of these people better and their names became more familiar with voters they'd start polling ahead, both of where they are now and ahead of Biden.

With regards to the Senate candidates polling better than Biden, if we don't want to accept Tammy Baldwin as an example than what about Ruben Gallego in Arizona? Gallego has never run statewide before this year in Arizona so only now is he developing a statewide profile and name ID. He's polling ahead of Biden as well. Maybe that's all a Kari Lake factor, maybe not. Same thing with Slotkin in Michigan. Outside of one recent Morning Consult outlier, Slotkin has polled ahead of where Biden is now too. She's also never run statewide in Michigan and has only been a Congresswoman for less than 3 full terms.

Yeah I'm sure a haphazard campaign in less than 4 months and no money and infrastructure will do. I'm sure the media and Trump won't have an attack on a new candidate. We literally don't have time for voters to get to know them plus all the Biden voters you would piss off and have to get back on your side. We all know what a bunch of pussies Democrats are, do we throw the new candidate overboard at the first sign of trouble? Go back to Biden? When the media starts attacking Newsom about open borders in California, every crime committed by an illegal in LA and SF, homeless encampments, and the fact he is a SF elite who owned a Napa Valley winery, do we tuck our tail and run again?

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Biden looked fine at NATO. Americans probably not watching.

He's looked fine at all of his appearances since the debate. No one cared about the debate. The issue is Dems being bullied by the media and being completely helpless to fight back. 

• Like 1