2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In a better world it would end any talk or speculation about dementia - he just doesn't have it or else he would have performed as he did. And certainly should end speculation about whether, today, he can do the job.

But that's a different question than the question of holding up during this campaign... I don't think he can unring that bell IMO.

My dad in early stage dementia would have never been able to do that. Hell, he wouldn't have when he didn't have dementia. 

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So, when is Trump's policy presser coming?

Either two weeks from now, or infastructure week.   Right after the replacement healthcare plan.   

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

My dad in early stage dementia would have never been able to do that. Hell, he wouldn't have when he didn't have dementia. 

Most of us could not do that.  

We also aren't running for President and we don't have the whole world waiting for us to screw up so they can tweet it or broadcast it.  

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think the press conference was fine and no worse or better than any other Biden presser. I thought he didn't knock it out of the park, but didn't do poorly either. 

I guess no one has a good handle on how he got so cross wired at the beginning of the debate but there sure doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his mental acuity. He's an old guy and for sure he looks and moves worse than some of my acquaintances of the same age. And I'll even agree his body looks like it may not have another 5 yrs in it but whether or not he can win the election, the Dems will surely lose it if they try to force him out. If he decides he's willing to step down - maybe.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

It’s all a great resume. The presentation is terrible 

Even 20 years ago, presentation hasn’t ever been his strong suit.  He’s not a great orator. But he knows his ****.

I think Joe Biden can beat Trump.

I think Kamala Harris can beat Trump.

I don’t think a fractured party without any clear identity or leader can beat Trump.

I don’t really care who the candidate is. But make up your mind like yesterday and unite ffs.

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess no one has a good handle on how he got so cross wired at the beginning of the debate but there sure doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his mental acuity. 

It was never good enough for a lot of the critics to just take what we saw at face value at that debate, an old man who brought forward questions as to whether he has the energy to do this, to finish this campaign and beat Donald Trump.

It had to turn into "he's got dementia", "he's hiding Parkinson's", "there was a CONSPIRACY to cover it UP!".... I expect that stuff from Trump's campaign, but there are a lot of people in media engaging in this sort of talk, and it reflects *very* poorly IMO. 

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It was never good enough for a lot of the critics to just take what we saw at face value at that debate, an old man who brought forward questions as to whether he has the energy to do this, to finish this campaign and beat Donald Trump.

It had to turn into "he's got dementia", "he's hiding Parkinson's", "there was a CONSPIRACY to cover it UP!".... I expect that stuff from Trump's campaign, but there are a lot of people in media engaging in this sort of talk, and it reflects *very* poorly IMO. 

I didn't expect so many Democrats to get bullied by the media and call on him to drop out. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I also have a parent who is in the early-mid stages. Granted, dementia comes in different forms, but Biden doesn't have dementia. He is old though.

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Exactly this!

Perhaps the voters want to hear about Biden's policies - as they should - but the media does not.

What Biden should do at any mention of Trump - especially at any future debate - is this:

• Like 1

Biden did alright yesterday.  If there is no definitive force looking to remove him, he did good enough to quell the party.  If there was a group that had already decided, I don't think he did well enough to stop that.  

MB, you're not wrong on most of the "Pro's" you tout about Biden, but a quote I heard from last night summed it up well.  'Biden proved tonight he can still run the country, but I don't think he can win the election'

I am warming to the idea, as long is it can play out legally, of an open convention like the old days.  The American public has been sitting on this matchup for 2 years.  It's already stale to them.  Nobody watches conventions but they would watch one where a candidate is truly picked.  Then if you get a Harris or whoever to come out of it that's younger then there is a freshness to the campaign that I think the public would want.  Not to mention, as said in the Alberta piece already, the Trump campaign has been preparing for a Biden matchup.  This throws that into chaos.

Of course the public has to go along with this in terms of votes.  And Biden does too.  

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Biden just needs to stick to recorded interviews and what not. Last night really made all the chatter before hand seem like it has legs.... I mean he seriously stuck his foot in his mouth studder or not. 

How in the world did he stick his foot in his mouth during that press conference?

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Biden did alright yesterday.  If there is no definitive force looking to remove him, he did good enough to quell the party.  If there was a group that had already decided, I don't think he did well enough to stop that.  

MB, you're not wrong on most of the "Pro's" you tout about Biden, but a quote I heard from last night summed it up well.  'Biden proved tonight he can still run the country, but I don't think he can win the election'

He’s literally leading in the polls and it’s only July.