2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

I am warming to the idea, as long is it can play out legally, of an open convention like the old days.  The American public has been sitting on this matchup for 2 years.  It's already stale to them.  Nobody watches conventions but they would watch one where a candidate is truly picked.  Then if you get a Harris or whoever to come out of it that's younger then there is a freshness to the campaign that I think the public would want.  Not to mention, as said in the Alberta piece already, the Trump campaign has been preparing for a Biden matchup.  This throws that into chaos.

Of course the public has to go along with this in terms of votes.  And Biden does too.  

Someone still has yet to explain 1) how do you qualify a candidate from out of the blue on 50 state ballots at this point. 2) the Biden campaign can't just drop their $250M on another candidate - where do they get funding?

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Someone still has yet to explain 1) how do you qualify a candidate from out of the blue on 50 state ballots at this point. 2) the Biden campaign can't just drop their $250M on another candidate - where do they get funding?

aren't the candidates not official until the convention is over?  Is anything signed that indicates either of these two are the nominees officially?

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

aren't the candidates not official until the convention is over?  Is anything signed that indicates either of these two are the nominees officially?

The delegates pick the parties nominee, not the individual states, they do that at the convention.  The only thing I heard is some law on Ohio's books which could affect a non-Biden candidate, but they aren't winning Ohio anyway.  The delegates may be pledged to someone, but that's it.  

For decades one of the few things that each party was more than happy to do with each other is to wrap laws around to protect the two party system and that protects the parties, not the individuals in them.  This isn't like an independent trying to get on the ballot in each state.

As for funding, a party isn't going to find a way to transfer funding to another candidate?  They are better at moving money than the Mob and like I said before, both sides protect each other when it comes to that.  That money will absolutely get to a new candidate, no doubt about it.

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I know i'm beating a dead horse, but I still feel like way to many people just accept this 100%.

Biden has claimed that he 'had' a stutter.  Yes, initially he claimed he 'had' a stutter when he was younger and got past it.  It wasn't until 4 years ago that all of a sudden, he's always had a stutter and that's the reason for his gaffe's.  My wife had a stutter and there is still one situation that forces her to pause and in her situation, restart a sentence that she got briefly interrupted in, instead of just continuing from the point of the interruption.  It was a technique taught to her and that's the only time it presents itself.  So certainly Biden may have continued to struggle with it, but again, he was never like he is now. Here are a couple of past speeches of his, one a bit off of the cuff, i'm sure part of it was planned, and then a teleprompter speech.  The difference is stark and I challenge anyone to watch these and make the claim again that Biden was never an effective speaker.

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I know i'm beating a dead horse, but I still feel like way to many people just accept this 100%.

Biden has claimed that he 'had' a stutter.  Yes, initially he claimed he 'had' a stutter when he was younger and got past it.  It wasn't until 4 years ago that all of a sudden, he's always had a stutter and that's the reason for his gaffe's.  My wife had a stutter and there is still one situation that forces her to pause and in her situation, restart a sentence that she got briefly interrupted in, instead of just continuing from the point of the interruption.  It was a technique taught to her and that's the only time it presents itself.  So certainly Biden may have continued to struggle with it, but again, he was never like he is now. Here are a couple of past speeches of his, one a bit off of the cuff, i'm sure part of it was planned, and then a teleprompter speech.  The difference is stark and I challenge anyone to watch these and make the claim again that Biden was never an effective speaker.

Thanks for sharing these videos. Makes me like Biden even more because I know he’s still the same guy just a little slower but even wiser. 

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The voters voted for Biden. You are literally suggesting overturning an election and then have Democrats run on preserving democracy. 

You need to stop talking about preserving democracy when you're asking people to ignore the fact that Biden may not be fit for office, but his unelected staff is still better then the alternative.

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

You need to stop talking about preserving democracy when you're asking people to ignore the fact that Biden may not be fit for office, but his unelected staff is still better then the alternative.

He is fit for office. If he isn’t there is a succession plan. 14 million people voted for him. I don’t think these white Dems understand how much they will anger the black base by disenfranchising them. This is a coup attempt. 

When is Trump going to hold an hour long press conference focusing on foreign policy?

Both candidates should take the cognitive test conducted by a private third party and have the results released. The same with a complete physical. Same with the VP candidates since it's fairly likely neither candidate at the top of the ticket will make it to January 2029  

The working press needs to hold the former President to the same standards as they hold the current one.  

11 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Every executive acts through his staff. This argument only makes sense if you think someone other than Biden is picking his staff, is that your claim?

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wouldn't Harris already be qualified for the ballot given she was apart of the Biden's teams efforts to be on the ballot in the first place? Also, wouldn't the fundraising for Biden be transferrable to Harris' candidate committee? I could be wrong about that though. As far as the money goes, Biden's team and adjacent Super PACs have been spending tens-of-millions in battleground states and it hasn't moved the needle for them at all. Biden is still down in swing state after swing state. The Clinton campaign outspent Trump in 2016 by hundreds of millions of dollars and still lost, so money and spending may not be the biggest factor anyways.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Wouldn't Harris already be qualified for the ballot given she was apart of the Biden's teams efforts to be on the ballot in the first place? Also, wouldn't the fundraising for Biden be transferrable to Harris' candidate committee? I could be wrong about that though. As far as the money goes, Biden's team and adjacent Super PACs have been spending tens-of-millions in battleground states and it hasn't moved the needle for them at all. Biden is still down in swing state after swing state. The Clinton campaign outspent Trump in 2016 by hundreds of millions of dollars and still lost, so money and spending may not be the biggest factor anyways.

No polling has Harris doing better and it’s ****ing July. 

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

The Putin remark and the Trump VP gaff. 

No one cares about that. The media is going to go on about it. The focus groups who watched it all agreed he knocked it out of the park and the undecideds changed their mind and back him. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No polling has Harris doing better and it’s ****ing July. 

This simply isn't true. The ABC/Wapo poll has Harris up +2 over Trump. It has Trump and Biden in a tie. The CNN poll from July 2nd has Harris down 2 and Biden down 6. The Bendixen & Amandi International poll has Harris up 1 and Biden down 1.  Data for Progress has Harris tied and Biden down 1 in one of their polls. The CNN/SSRS poll from June 20th has Harris down 2 to Trump and Biden down 6 to Trump.

Also the leaked internal Democratic poll from Open Labs shows Harris out preforming Biden, but still losing, in battleground states. Harris is out performing Biden, albeit by very small margins, in most all swing states.

If the nominee is Biden, than it's Biden. I'll accept it, work hard, and hope to a God I don't believe in that he wins. But to say there is no data at all that shows Harris doing better isn't true.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No one cares about that. The media is going to go on about it. The focus groups who watched it all agreed he knocked it out of the park and the undecideds changed their mind and back him. 

Umm people care. They don't care what focus groups think.