2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That's what the 25th amendment is for, and no, his wife or staff aren't making decisions. Stop with dementia innuendo. 

I never suggested dementia, only Parkinson's and I understand the difference.  That said, you need to acknowledge the public perception of this man's ability and what appears to be a failure to reliably make his case to the American people why he should be the next president.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No dem was claiming no inflation and the media is fixated on where Biden makes a gaffe or not instead of the economy. Even when there is good news, they can frame it as bad news. 

Seriously, you can't remember the CNN interview with the guy complaining about the price of milk and every Biden supporter mocked him about his issue was how much milk he was buying, not that it was more expensive.   Quick look and I found an article about it, crap it was from 2021

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/people-are-having-a-cow-over-cnns-12-gallons-of-milk-a-week-segment-heres-why-11636051263

For the last year folks on this board have talked about inflation going down and refusing to acknowledge or give excuses on why it's 'still going down'.   So yeah, this news about inflation is awesome and should be great news for Biden, but again, it may not land that well when you've been saying inflation really isn't an issue for so long already.

11 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Jesus, talk about throwing spaghetti against a wall to see what sticks.

”there is a concern” - without an actual, verifiable accusation - this is just such a passive/aggressive insult, and frankly, another page out of the “how to spread disinformation/lies while trying to sound reasonable or informed… when you’re obviously not either”. 

Do I sound annoyed. Oh, yeah. I am.

Jesus, Nixon likely didn't win his election over JFK because he didn't put make up on.  Appearance matters.  Articulating why someone should vote for you has mattered to every candidate with the exception of Trump.  

Now, with democracy on the line, the plan is to put Trump who has proved he can win without articulating why against Biden who sometimes can kind of articulate why, especially if you already plan on voting for him and wouldn't vote for Trump if hell froze over.   And I'm the asshole for questioning this?

Also, despite what MB is telling you, after the debate debacle numerous sources went to legitimate reporters and claimed they were shocked at what they saw but stated that maybe they should have seen it coming as they were kept away from Biden more and more.  People that work directly for the president are, albeit not on the record, claiming that he is faltering.  This isn't some right wing nut saying this on twitter, legitimate reporters are hearing these stories.  

Could it be just smoke and no fire, possibly, but this isn't spaghetti thrown up against the wall.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The funny thing is Biden has done over 20 events and met with world leaders while Trump hasn’t left his golf course. 

He met with Putin's guy Orban just last night.  That's meeting with members of a European alliance of a sort.   Just because its the evil one that doesn't believe in the rule of law, doesn't make it less a checking of the "believes in collective security" box.  

50 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Black voters coming back to Biden is the best news of the cycle.  I could definitely see it at work.  Folks were mad and getting madder over "black jobs"

I need to see more evidence, but if we've learned anything about this latest era of politics, "feeding frenzies" can often lead to backlash the longer and longer they go on.

5 hours ago, ben9753 said:

I’m not so sure a lot of Democrats don’t secretly want Trump to win. It’s a lot easier to be outraged every day at some new Republican idiocy than it is to be the party in power. 

Because they are a lot closer than you think to completely changing the Constitution.    While it's a somewhat flawed document, I prefer it the way it is - you know with civil rights and term limits and every adult over 18 getting a vote and no poll tax.     Do you know how close the Republicans are to flipping just a few states to a degree where that can happen? 

They do that and get that chance,  no more marriage equality,  homosexuality will likely be deemed illegal,  I don't think stopping 18-21 year olds from voting is enough, I think they'll try to raise it 25 or even 30.   And it wouldn't shock me if they instituted a type of poll tax to keep the poor from voting.  

Plus - lets not forget the Supreme Court and how it could be worse.     Clarence isn't gonna make it 4 more years.       You have no idea the damage Trump & Co can do in four years, four long years.

I am a middle-aged, working class white male,  nothing would happen to me under Trump, but I do care about my neighbors who may be Black, Asian, Middle Eastern, Mexican and gays and trans people.   They need us,  they really ****ing need us right now.    They're lives are going to be destroyed if Trump & that party get in power again.     

We absolutely can't risk that just to prove a point.   The Republicans will take total control of everything and they will never let it go without a Civil War.  These people are ****ing sick and dangerous......   Plus giving them four more years will more than undo recent economic progress. 

Republicans **** up the economy and when the Democrats can't fix it all instantly they get blamed and "Professional Democrats" are so horribly bad at campaigning.     They're still quaking in their boots from Reagan in 1984 - afraid to embrace their own policies that the majority of this country supports like gun restrictions - even gun owners want reasonable change.    They are afraid to be called Liberal and that's stupid, it should be a badge of honor, bur Reagan turned it into a dirty word.    News Flash -  He's dead and buried.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I need to see more evidence, but if we've learned anything about this latest era of politics, "feeding frenzies" can often lead to backlash the longer and longer they go on.

This is the best hope - that a lot of people hearing the 'Biden is too old' drumbeat but haven't actually looked for themselves, begin to pay attention and see what we all can see - and old guy with a perfectly functional mind, and decide that's still a damn site better than anything they get with Trump. It also means that if Biden has the stamina to stay his course, then by voting time the issue will have been fully litigated, old news, off the table.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They're lives are going to be destroyed if Trump & that party get in power again.     

The first thing the GOP will do is blow up the budget - again. Trump's "Tariffs not Taxes" plan has a 4 Trillion $ hole in it.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is the best hope - that a lot of people hearing the 'Biden is too old' drumbeat but haven't actually looked for themselves, begin to pay attention and see what we all can see - and old guy with a perfectly functional mind, and decide that's still a damn site better than anything they get with Trump. It also means that if Biden has the stamina to stay his course, then by voting time the issue will have been fully litigated, old news, off the table.

I don't profess to speak for the median person out in the country, but I've alluded to this throughout this thread since the debate: I think people can have serious reservations about Biden and his ability to move forward while also looking at the reaction to it from the media and many folks and see it as combinations of self-flaggelating, not productive or even unfair (especially given how people are just throwing around terms like "dementia" or "Parkinsons" without any real reason). And it's one thing when Trump's campaign or his supporters do it, but when you have actual professionals drawing paychecks from the NYT or the Washington Post doing it, and promoting their brand off of it (*cough* Astead Herndon), it's hard not to feel there isn't an agenda involved.

It really pisses me off.... I just don't think collectively, in the age of social media, we are able to process this with the seriousness it deserves. MC's post above, showing his emails from the NYT, is a perfect example.

Edited by mtutiger

41 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because they are a lot closer than you think to completely changing the Constitution.    While it's a somewhat flawed document, I prefer it the way it is - you know with civil rights and term limits and every adult over 18 getting a vote and no poll tax.     Do you know how close the Republicans are to flipping just a few states to a degree where that can happen? 

They do that and get that chance,  no more marriage equality,  homosexuality will likely be deemed illegal,  I don't think stopping 18-21 year olds from voting is enough, I think they'll try to raise it 25 or even 30.   And it wouldn't shock me if they instituted a type of poll tax to keep the poor from voting.  

Plus - lets not forget the Supreme Court and how it could be worse.     Clarence isn't gonna make it 4 more years.       You have no idea the damage Trump & Co can do in four years, four long years.

I am a middle-aged, working class white male,  nothing would happen to me under Trump, but I do care about my neighbors who may be Black, Asian, Middle Eastern, Mexican and gays and trans people.   They need us,  they really ****ing need us right now.    They're lives are going to be destroyed if Trump & that party get in power again.     

We absolutely can't risk that just to prove a point.   The Republicans will take total control of everything and they will never let it go without a Civil War.  These people are ****ing sick and dangerous......   Plus giving them four more years will more than undo recent economic progress. 

Republicans **** up the economy and when the Democrats can't fix it all instantly they get blamed and "Professional Democrats" are so horribly bad at campaigning.     They're still quaking in their boots from Reagan in 1984 - afraid to embrace their own policies that the majority of this country supports like gun restrictions - even gun owners want reasonable change.    They are afraid to be called Liberal and that's stupid, it should be a badge of honor, bur Reagan turned it into a dirty word.    News Flash -  He's dead and buried.  

Not that I don’t agree with all you listed there (because I do), but there’s a somewhat glaring omission to your list.

Women.  Women’s well-being, health, equity rights, etc.

We will take a tremendous body blow, almost literally.

I am sure you have women family members that you love and would want all good things for, so, please also be a loud and strident advocate for them, too.

I will , on behalf of my sisters everywhere, thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Not that I don’t agree with all you listed there (because I do), but there’s a somewhat glaring omission to your list.

Women.  Women’s well-being, health, equity rights, etc.

We will take a tremendous body blow, almost literally.

I am sure you have women family members that you love and would want all good things for, so, please also be a loud and strident advocate for them, too.

I will , on behalf of my sisters everywhere, thank you.

And it's substantive... Real world outcomes that are likely to happen if Trump were to win, regardless of who the nominee is.

At some level, that stuff should matter right? It seems like it's gaining traction organically, but that has been in spite of a media that seems more focused on style over substance

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

Will CNN go into hysterics about this?  Will unichvoter and Nate silver tweet about it?

LOL umichvoter blocked me. I mentioned I had enough of his doom anecdotes. It's a shame because he was the only one other than myself who said MI-10 was winnable. 

• Like 1