2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If it’s fair game for sitting members of Congress to speculate that Biden s behind it, or somehow responsible for it, then I think it’s fair game for us to speculate that Trump faked the whole thing.

It's all so disingenuous when you see how apocalyptic and violent the rhetoric can be from their own side as well.

Obviously this is a horrible event and should not have happened. We do not want to live in a world where political violence is the norm. But I worry a lot about a toxic political culture in this country that has led to a break down of civility in how we disagree... And this event, awful as it is, is just downstream IMO

• Like 1

Just now, oblong said:

These people dismissed Jan 6 and made fun of the spouse of the Speaker of the House when he was attacked.  So spare me the condemnations of political violence.  It rings hollow. 

Well, Trump certainly has no right to play that kind of a card given how he hung Pence out to dry.

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

These people dismissed Jan 6 and made fun of the spouse of the Speaker of the House when he was attacked.  So spare me the condemnations of political violence.  It rings hollow. 

I'm trying to do my part in keeping the temperature down because I'm worried they are going to retaliate hard.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This seems like a failure by Secret Service. Biden made a stop close to my house but not a direct line and Secret Service was flying drones over my house. 

yeah it seems like you would want someone on a building  that close over looking the stage

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This seems like a failure by Secret Service. Biden made a stop close to my house but not a direct line and Secret Service was flying drones over my house. 

I think the level of support changes from current to former presidents. It’s still very high but not the same extent as a sitting. 

they will turn this into a deep state conspiracy.  

36 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I'm trying to do my part in keeping the temperature down because I'm worried they are going to retaliate hard.

Yeah, it’s not about sympathy, it’s about civility.

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yeah, it’s not about sympathy, it’s about civility.

Totally, it's the right thing to say and do.... and it's an easy call.

The asymmetry in expectations between the two sides and what is expected of them is a little hard to ignore though, so I get Rob's frustration. 

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Totally, it's the right thing to say and do.... and it's an easy call.

The asymmetry in expectations between the two sides and what is expected of them is a little hard to ignore though, so I get Rob's frustration. 

I get it, too.  So, look, thoughts and prayers, it shouldn’t happen, move along with life and hope it doesn’t happen to you.  At the same time, I don’t want to hear it from the other side until they’re willing to compromise from their position.

We were traveling and picked up BBC, their reporter carrying on about how he can't believe this happened in American. Man, where have you been? Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, JFK, RFK, Wallace, Ford, Reagan. It's almost more unusual when someone doesn't take a shot at a US president or Candidate.

I'm just waiting for Alex Jones to deny this happened.  Trump has been at pro wrestling events in the past.  Is it a stretch to consider this was just a bunch of crisis acting and a fake blood capsule?

All of the hysteria over “what is happening to our country” is just fishing for emotion. Where have these people been?  Shooting up babies in school wasn’t enough to wake you up?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, pfife said:

Lot of folks that think trump couldn't have possibly incited 1/6 have a lot of strong opinions about random democrats' statements inciting this. 

Laying the ground work for Special Council Trey Gowdy to file charges against them.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

All of the hysteria over “what is happening to our country” is just fishing for emotion. Where have these people been?  Shooting up babies in school wasn’t enough to wake you up?  

Yeah, a lot of people coming out of the woodwork to support their cult leader, but not the hundreds of kids gunned down in schools. It's still concerning on a lot of levels though. This is the type of thing that leads to nations falling, and it seems we are on that path. It's scary.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'm just waiting for Alex Jones to deny this happened.  Trump has been at pro wrestling events in the past.  Is it a stretch to consider this was just a bunch of crisis acting and a fake blood capsule?

Now that we have confirmed casualties in the crowd, yes, it is a stretch.

• Confused 1