2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

We were traveling and picked up BBC, their reporter carrying on about how he can't believe this happened in American. Man, where have you been? Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, JFK, RFK, Wallace, Ford, Reagan. It's almost more unusual when someone doesn't take a shot at a US president or Candidate.

And my apologies for missing Teddy Roosevelt. 

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Now that we have confirmed casualties in the crowd, yes, it is a stretch.

Depends how much he’s learned from Putin doesn’t it? 

OK- That’s a rhetorical question, I hope.

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

All of the hysteria over “what is happening to our country” is just fishing for emotion. Where have these people been?  Shooting up babies in school wasn’t enough to wake you up?  

Yeah, the cops working at Capitol Hill would like a word.

• Thanks 1

So, remember everyone:  George Wallace was a bigot who had a raving fanbase.  He got shot and didn't become President.  Stop subscribing to these anti-Christ/Omen narratives that he's unstoppable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, romad1 said:

the near enemy of the Trumplicans: the Nevertrumpers.

The problem with Wackos is that the logic doesn't have to make sense to anyone on the outside. Just for example, you could have a RW white supremacist decide to that killing Trump would the best way to start his hoped for Armageddon race war exactly because his fellow RW conspiratorialists are the armed folks that could start something. To sacrifice both himself and Dear Leader was demanded by the urgency of the hour. To be clear - just putting that out as a typical hypothetical of how twisted logic can get for people who have detached from reality. Have no idea what this guy was about.

Edited by gehringer_2

I would have no remorse if Trump had a heart attack and died.  Honestly, I would probably be happy.  

What happened yesterday was horrible.

Political violence has no place in a democracy.  It can not be tolerated regardless of person or party.  I am glad that Trump survived and appears to be unharmed.  

Unfortunately, I fear the attack has caused severe damage to the already fragile civility that was in place.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Political violence has no place in a democracy.  

The real problem here is that you can't divorce 'Political' violence from any other kind. If you create a violent society, it will be violent in every aspect of its being - there is no way to isolate some arena like politics from the general infection. We accept the senseless death of thousands at the hands of guns every year - politicians will end up as a piece of the cross-section just as inevitably as school children.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The real problem here is that you can't divorce 'Political' violence from any other kind. If you create a violent society, it will be violent in every aspect of its being - there is no way to isolate some arena like politics from the general infection. We accept the senseless death of thousands at the hands of guns every year - politicians will end up as a piece of the cross-section just as inevitably as school children.

That makes sense in theory but up until now it hasn’t been true.  We have violent gun incidents weekly and larger scale mass shootings multiple times every year.   Somehow, we have luckily avoided seeing this type of violence bleed over into the political arena.  The last Presidential attack was Reagan.  Gabby Giffords and Steve Scalise were the last attacks on congressmen.  I fear we are going to see more violent attacks on elected officials going forward.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

That makes sense in theory but up until now it hasn’t been true.  We have violent gun incidents weekly and larger scale mass shootings multiple times every year.   Somehow, we have luckily avoided seeing this type of violence bleed over into the political arena.  The last Presidential attack was Reagan.  Gabby Giffords and Steve Scalise were the last attacks on congressmen.  I fear we are going to see more violent attacks on elected officials going forward.  

The last violent attack on Congresspeople was January 6, 2021.    They just didn't GET to them.  They would have killed them if they had.  

You spew hate on truth social, sick your magats on the families of the judge and prosecutor's families.

joke about Hillary being taken out in 2016. Plus about a million other vile things he has said on social media and at his rallies.

Sometimes when you stir up so much hate, it can come back and bite you in the ass. Or ear.

You reap what you sow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hasn't happened at a packed sports stadium in this country, and that really surprises me.    Even with the snipers on the roof at Michigan Stadium, there would be a enough time to injure or kill dozens.  

I'll be out at Art Fair in Ann Arbor this week.   An even like that can be a target.   You know, people involved in risky behavior like checking out art.  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

you seem to contradict your first sentence before you even finish your paragraph. 7 out of 30 Presidents shot at since the Civil War.  How common does it have to be for you to accept that it is true? Plus your assorted Congress people. 43 years is just luck and much higher security.

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Hasn't happened at a packed sports stadium in this country,

I'd argue it's has already happened for all  intents and purposes with the Vegas shooting. Essentially the same situation -- shooter at elevation into a packed crowd. Couldn't have been any worse if those people were in tiered seats than where they were.

2 minutes ago, antrat said:

You spew hate on truth social, sick your magats on the families of the judge and prosecutor's families.

joke about Hillary being taken out in 2016. Plus about a million other vile things he has said on social media and at his rallies.

Sometimes when you stir up so much hate, it can come back and bite you in the ass. Or ear.

You reap what you sow.

The same people complaining are the same who thought it was just fine for a bunch of angry people to show up at the Michigan State House fully armed.   

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The problem with Wackos is that the logic doesn't have to make sense to anyone on the outside. Just for example, you could have a RW white supremacist decide to that killing Trump would the best way to start his hoped for Armageddon race war exactly because his fellow RW conspiratorialists are the armed folks that could start something. To sacrifice both himself and Dear Leader was demanded by the urgency of the hour. To be clear - just putting that out as a typical hypothetical of how twisted logic can get for people who have detached from reality. Have no idea what this guy was about.

This is very very true.  The USSS manual I have on my desk at works details how the person who adores the protectee is as dangerous as the person who hates them.  Imagine if a person is in love with that person but: "they don't answer my letters!" and that extreme emotion turns to hate.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you seem to contradict your first sentence before you even finish your paragraph. 7 out of 30 Presidents shot at since the Civil War.  How common does it have to be for you to accept that it is true? Plus your assorted Congress people. 43 years is just luck and much higher security.

I didn’t contradict myself at all.  Your theory just hasn’t been our current reality.   Are you really going to go all the way back to the Civil War.  What?    I barely equate the 60’s as part of our modern society anymore. 

Enjoy your vacation and maybe think about getting away from checking this site all the time while you are away. It’s an addiction that’s really not good for any of us.  

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This is very very true.  The USSS manual I have on my desk at works details how the person who adores the protectee is as dangerous as the person who hates them.  Imagine if a person is in love with that person but: "they don't answer my letters!" and that extreme emotion turns to hate.

not to be too flippant under the circumstances, but this puts me in mind of Hinkley - who of course was trying to impress Jody Foster. Now just imagine that the country had been a little more progressive a few decades earlier and Foster was out of the closet. Hinkley might have known he was never going be in her potentials list. Might have been one less President shot at.

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I didn’t contradict myself at all.  Your theory just hasn’t been our current reality.   Are you really going to go all the way back to the Civil War.  What?    I barely equate the 60’s as part of our modern society anymore. 

Enjoy your vacation and maybe think about getting away from checking this site all the time while you are away. It’s an addiction that’s really not good for any of us.  

Checking the sports conversations is healthy.  Checking the political conversations not so much, but that goes for any political discussions, not just this site.