2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

41 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

All politics aside Trump could not have handled the situation any better. The way he got back up and defiantly stopped to Yell fight. love him or hate him that was courageous in that moment. 

Sire ... if it was actually courage and not scripted ... 😉

53 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

All politics aside Trump could not have handled the situation any better. The way he got back up and defiantly stopped to Yell fight. love him or hate him that was courageous in that moment. 

He saying the right things right now... Its what he might saying a week from now that gives reason for concern

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's because Republicans don't want to actually address and solve the mental health crisis, any more than they want to address and solve immigration issues, economic issues, street crime, the unhoused, or any of it. They need those issues to stay live and ever-present so they can campaign on them as well as use them as cudgels to smite Democrats.

Don't forget about making billions of dollars off the prison system instead of spending money on mental health care.

For those on the right complaining about the failure of law enforcement spotting a person with a rifle. How much easier would that person have been to spot if not for open carry laws desensitizing them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Edman85 said:

For those on the right complaining about the failure of law enforcement spotting a person with a rifle. How much easier would that person have been to spot if not for open carry laws desensitizing them?

Remember, folks on the right want MORE people with guns. They want to make it EASIER for an individual to obtain any style of firearm. They OPPOSE background checks, mental health screenings, and red flag laws. Their theory of the case on the gun violence reality we all live with is that a good guy with a gun always or almost always stops a bad guy with a gun and if only we had more armed civilians that we'd all be safer.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

....  I fear we are going to see more violent attacks on elected officials going forward.  

And we have no idea how many have been thwarted.

Such as the attempted kidnapping and execution of a state Governor (that we may have heard of...).

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I do think it may be the same guy. The zip code on the donation matches the shooters zip code but that zip code is Bethel Park and not Pittsburgh. 

You think the shooter is the one who made the donation via Act Blue to the Democratic organization based on the zip code?

23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Remember that Trump posted this photo, this year, of Joe Biden being bound and tied up on the back of a truck.

Yep.... but this is largely just treated as table stakes, which is a big problem with where we are. Nobody really seems to want to engage with this, certainly not in elite media in year of our Lord 2024. Not as bad as the picture above obviously, but nobody wants to engage with how normalized it is for people to drive by a house with people literally flying flags that say "**** Biden".... (I'm just thankful my boy is five years old and cannot read the word yet). It's protected speech, but it's still a poor reflection of where we find ourselves as Americans.

As an aside, whenever this conversation about "civility" has come up over the years in our politics, there has often been, in reference to Trump's role in where we are, a refrain that "he is the symptom, but not the disease." Which is not entirely wrong, but ultimately lets him off the hook and is, in effect, an excuse; it infantilizes him and treats him as not having agency in the things that he says, does, shares, etc.

As a larger society, I think we all see the problem... I interact with people with a number of perspectives in my day to day life politically and, despite getting on more or less civilly in day to day life, most seem unhappy with where we find ourselves in the bigger picture. I don't care who they may support politically, I don't think the average person wants or likes political violence. 

But in order to actually get somewhere in bringing more civility to our larger political discussion, that would require that all parties put their cards on the table, deal in good faith, and make adjustments to the way we treat one another. Treating people with more dignity at the very least, despite whatever significant disagreements on policy. And I don't think that will ever happen, at least so long as Donald Trump is a force in our politics. He may bring out the worst in us, and that may be our collective responsibility, but he has agency as well and he knows what he's doing. I'm just tired of the excuses for it.

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You think the shooter is the one who made the donation via Act Blue to the Democratic organization based on the zip code?

The zip code of the 69 year old in Pittsburgh doesn't match the donation where as the zip code of the shooter matches the donation. Perhaps he wrote in the wrong city?

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The guy is 20 years old

If you had to be 21 to buy a gun he wouldn't have one.

I get so tired of hearing these talking heads in front of microphone with the 'this is unacceptable" cant. It is acceptable and will continue to be acceptable because the proof is  no-one is going to do **** about it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

.... Their theory of the case on the gun violence reality we all live with is that ...

is that...

If one SINGLE Gun Control law is passed, then an avalanche will occur.

That's why they fight EVERY SINGLE, MODERATE, REASONABLE attempt at controlling gun violence. They do not want ANY GUN CONTROL WHATSOEVER, not ONE SINGLE GUN CONTROL MEASUREMENT AT ALL... 

to Pass...

Because...

That starts the avalanche.

Same as what happened to the tobacco industry.

In their minds at least.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

But in order to actually get somewhere in bringing more civility to our larger political discussion, that would require that all parties put their cards on the table, deal in good faith, and make adjustments to the way we treat one another. Treating people with more dignity at the very least, despite whatever significant disagreements on policy. And I don't think that will ever happen, at least so long as Donald Trump is a force in our politics. He may bring out the worst in us, and that may be our collective responsibility, but he has agency as well and he knows what he's doing. I'm just tired of the excuses for it.

This is my thought as well. We have gone from each side not liking each other to each side hating each other. The polls show that more than just Trump's goons are supporting  him. The country is fractured with little hope of reconcile. 

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you had to be 21 to buy a gun he wouldn't have one.

I get so tired of hearing these talking heads in front of microphone with the 'this is unacceptable" cant. It is acceptable and will continue to be acceptable because the proof is  no-one is going to do **** about it.

Not knowing Pennsylvania laws on gun ownership. I would hope the father would now be facing charges.

11 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This is my thought as well. We have gone from each side not liking each other to each side hating each other. The polls show that more than just Trump's goons are supporting  him. The country is fractured with little hope of reconcile. 

It was this that I saw last night that I was chewing on when making this post. I thought it was profound and stated something I believe in my heart in a really succinct way.

Social media is a huge problem in this.... when you deal with people face to face, it's mostly easier to get along and see other perspectives. And to treat them with dignity. These apps have proven how easy it is to sit behind your avatar and sling vile **** at one another. Not to mention how they often decrease actual face time with real human beings.... I'm as guilty of this as anyone, some of it is having young kids and not having as much time for extracurriculars in life (like joining a bowling league or softball). But it's easy to make *this* your reality instead of everything going on around yourself and too many of us, particularly younger people, are doing just that.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

It's a problem that one side has the vast majority of the guns, and I don't believe they obtained those just to hang them up in the den so they can gaze at them and admire them.

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Social media is a huge problem in this.... when you deal with people face to face, it's mostly easier to get along and see other perspectives. And to treat them with dignity. These apps have proven how easy it is to sit behind your avatar and sling vile **** at one another. Not to mention how they often decrease actual face time with real human beings.... I'm as guilty of this as anyone, some of it is having young kids and not having as much time for extracurriculars in life (like joining a bowling league or softball). But it's easy to make *this* your reality instead of everything going on around yourself and too many of us, particularly younger people, are doing just that.

People can talk about why can't we all just get along all they want, but nothing is going to change until government steps in and passes laws and regulations and/or establishes incentives for people to get off social media and get together face to face. Because as things currently stand, we the people are not going to just change our behavior en masse as if by zeitgeist, and the corporations behind the social media apps have no incentive to restrain usership in any meaningful sense.

Edited by chasfh