2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

People can talk about why can't we all just get along all they want, but nothing is going to change until government steps in and passes laws and regulations and/or establishes incentives for people to get off social media and get together face to face. Because as things currently stand, we the people are not going to just change our behavior en masse as if by zeitgeist, and the corporations behind the social media apps have no incentive to restrain usership in any meaningful sense.

I agree

47 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Under project 2025 we will be enjoying plenty of freedom.

Yea i know many wished the bullet met its mark. I can’t change that it did not. We will just have to go vote like the good old days. I am glad we waited less than 24 hours to get back to hating each other.

28 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yea i know many wished the bullet met its mark. I can’t change that it did not. We will just have to go vote like the good old days. I am glad we waited less than 24 hours to get back to hating each other.

Your point is well taken, but Project 2025 *does* portend huge changes in the way our government works in ways that are too numerous to list here. And undoubtedly one of the aims after this event by Trump's campaign will be to deem discussion of this as "divisive." 

Never mind, of course, this gem from one of the architects of the plan, which is in no way divisive at all /s:

This campaign has thus far been defined by a lack of substance in favor of style. This event cannot be an excuse not to vet the substance that another Trump administration wishes to put forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I couldn't imagine having this little self-respect lol

I'm sure someone will advise Mike Lee that he did not have to out himself in that final post, because he could have simply ignored the fact that the photo wasn't taken today and all of Red Hat Nation would believe until the end of time that it was.

In fact, I'm pretty sure they still will believe it, because alternate facts.

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

You know what he is implying, don't you? It is that if any of us complain in any way about the implementation of Project 2025, including with only words, or who knows, maybe even an eyeroll, they may just have to spill our blood. So you'd better allow it. Or else.

Edited by chasfh

53 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Your point is well taken, but Project 2025 *does* portend huge changes in the way our government works in ways that are too numerous to list here. And undoubtedly one of the aims after this event by Trump's campaign will be to deem discussion of this as "divisive." 

Never mind, of course, this gem from one of the architects of the plan, which is in no way divisive at all /s:

This campaign has thus far been defined by a lack of substance in favor of style. This event cannot be an excuse not to vet the substance that another Trump administration wishes to put forward.

When someone takes a shot at Biden we can’t be surprised when the right shrugs their shoulders and list all of the reasons Biden had it coming. That’s basically were we are at today. 

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You know what he is implying, don't you? It is that if any of us complain in any way about the implementation of Project 2025, including with only words, or who knows, maybe even an eyeroll, they may just have to spill our blood. So you'd better allow it. Or else.

Exactly right. 

People will try to use this moment to chill any discussion about Project 2025, you are starting to see that already. But in and of itself, talking about the substance of what Project 2025, which was put together by individuals who are likely to staff a future Trump administration, is exactly what campaigns are all about.

I think going forward people will need still need to be careful about their rhetoric, but while what happened yesterday was wrong and can never be condoned, it cannot also be used to chill tangible points of discussions about what people want in from a Presidential administration over the next four years.

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

When someone takes a shot at Biden we can’t be surprised when the right shrugs their shoulders and list all of the reasons Biden had it coming. That’s basically were we are at today. 

If the roles were reversed and it was Biden that this happened to, isn't this what would have happened regardless?

24 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

When someone takes a shot at Biden we can’t be surprised when the right shrugs their shoulders and list all of the reasons Biden had it coming. That’s basically were we ...

Have been.

For the past 8 years.

Thanks to Trump and his MAGA-fascists-WANT-violence supporters.

Edited by 1984Echoes

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

All politics aside Trump could not have handled the situation any better. The way he got back up and defiantly stopped to Yell fight. love him or hate him that was courageous in that moment. 

In a political sense, he handled it perfectly.  A trememdous photo op!  Realistically, it would have better if he let the secret service take him off the stage more efficiently rather than pause so he could put on a show for his fans.  

I also don't like that he did the Nazi salute thing after the fist pump.  I know conservatives will let tell me it's not really a Nazi salute, but he does it to be divisive.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

That's because Republicans don't want to actually address and solve the mental health crisis, any more than they want to address and solve immigration issues, economic issues, street crime, the unhoused, or any of it. They need those issues to stay live and ever-present so they can campaign on them as well as use them as cudgels to smite Democrats.

So, the wealthy can get their tax cuts and the big businesses can get their deregulation.  That's what this is ALL about and Trump is the perect salesman.