2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I know Christian church services are evil and diabolical and  this is just satire I’m sure. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Weird, I thought saying Trump was chosen by God was ridiculing Christians. 

Politico with a great hit piece nice find.

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Nothing says hate the right better than ridiculing Christians. 

I have no problems with Christians. I have a huge problem with "Christians" trying to impose their politics on everyone. From my experience one of the major problems with churches is their internal politics.

(This coming from a back pew Presbyterian with a smattering of CoB)

29 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I know Christian church services are evil and diabolical and  this is just satire I’m sure. 

Politico with a great hit piece nice find.

I think the allegation here is that Politico is nutpicking...I take issue with it because there were prominent evangelical leaders around the time of Trump's conviction (Eric Metaxas comes to mind) who literally compared Trump to Christ being crucified.

I don't know how prominent it is, but the idea that there aren't corners of the movement who are engaging in this kind of stuff, there's history to suggest that it isn't surprising that some are

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I think the allegation here is that Politico is nutpicking...I take issue with it because there were prominent evangelical leaders around the time of Trump's conviction (Eric Metaxas comes to mind) who literally compared Trump to Christ being crucified.

I don't know how prominent it is, but the idea that there aren't corners of the movement who are engaging in this kind of stuff, there's history to suggest that it isn't surprising that some are

Evangelical does not represent me as I am not one. The hit side comes from lumping all Christians as viewing Trump this way and ratcheting up the perceived justified hate. 

21 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I have no problems with Christians. I have a huge problem with "Christians" trying to impose their politics on everyone. From my experience one of the major problems with churches is their internal politics.

There are also differences between Christian denominations, and a breakdown in Separation of Church and State would inevitably lead to the government picking "winners and losers" on that front.

IIRC, Louisiana's 10 Commandments Bill has stipulations on which version of the Bible must be used. Not particularly controversial, but one can understand how hairy that can get if taken further on different pieces of legislation 

28 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not particularly controversial,

Not sure I agree. Translations generate a pretty fair amount of controversy within and across denominations.  Even in as short a text as the TC, the KJV mis-translates (at least by almost universal agreement) "Murder" as "Kill", which creates a starting point for endless digression.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I think when Christianity gets linked to politics, it loses a lot of spiritualism.  In order for ones faith to be something special, I think it needs to be above politics.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not sure I agree. Translations generate a pretty fair amount of controversy within and across denominations.  Even in as short a text as the TC, the KJV mis-translates (at least by almost universal agreement) "Murder" as "Kill", which creates a starting point for endless digression.

Comment was more about controversy within Louisiana, although with the mix of Catholicism and Evangelicalism that exists there, you'd think it matters at least a little bit

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Evangelical does not represent me as I am not one. The hit side comes from lumping all Christians as viewing Trump this way and ratcheting up the perceived justified hate. 

If Evangelicals don’t represent you, then please try not to take offense at criticisms of them, even if they’re referred to by the blanket term “Christians.” It’s almost always the Evangelicals being referred to, which you can probably deduce from context clues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I think when Christianity gets linked to politics, it loses a lot of spiritualism.  In order for ones faith to be something special, I think it needs to be above politics.  

Absolutely right. When Christians impose their worldview on politics, they become worldly.

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

The non-evangelical denominational leaderships are sort of a in box over this. Most (though not all of course...)  have been hesitant to call out the political wing of Christianity in public (for many good reason which I won't go into here), but is does leave a void in the public conciousness there there is still a Christianity beyond the people they hear about in the news - which is of course the political wing. That's something that non-Evangelicals sort of have to live with.....

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Awe, the guy who posts on the sports forum about everything but sports has opinion. Cute.

Says the guy whining about his religion...  on a sports forum. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It's also the height of hypocrisy for you to whine about YOUR religion after supporting the dozens and dozens of antisemtic videos MB posted.   Apparently your religion deserves special treatment you fail to afford to others. 

Even weirder  you do that on a sports forum. 

Edited by pfife
  • Haha 1