2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Youngkin is his best choice and I could see it ending up being him. The Trump team may think they have a shot at Virginia with Youngkin on the ballot.

Youngkin would be similar to Burgum in that he would be more of a safe, "do not harm" pick.... but I think it's going to be Vance

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s gonna be Vance.  

He’s the worst of the lot so of course it’ll be him.

Tim Ryan was a strong candidate in 2022 so that's partly why the Senate race was close, but some of that was just JD Vance being a really terrible candidate as well. He ran well behind pretty much every other statewide office runner in that election.

Vance as a selection is a nod to the future and keeping the GOP firmly within the spectrum of the broader right wing movement globally, which is really a terrible thing. But the flipside is that he really lacks any sort of charisma or appeal outside of his VC base... people are likely to see him as a phony, as he is.

24 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Now the Republican Speaker...

Looks like Politico had a legit angle here

How come whenever they say God did something on purpose it’s for bad things?  A hurricane punished the gays, etc. 

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

Vance gives off a lot of creep vibes.  

My biggest thing is the demonstrated ability and desire to just say and do anything for power.... I remember reading his book in 2016/2017 timeframe and he sounded nothing like the guy he is today. He just shed the persona altogether and shapeshifted into what he is today because he's thirsty for power. It doesn't really matter what side of the political spectrum, voters tend to notice people like that... a lot of Ohioans notice it from my understanding as well.

Ultimately the VP pick brings very little to any ticket and generally doesn't change votes, and I don't expect this one to either. But even with that caveat applied, I don't see what Vance exactly brings to the ticket other than being someone who was willing to debase themselves in order to get into Trump's orbit and a dedication to the bigger picture, nationalistic right wing movement in the global sense.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Probably the worst possible pick. 

When you consider that Trump doesn't have many more years ahead of him, one of the other candidates at least gives a glimmer of hope that there would be some sort of change in tonal direction after he leaves (regardless of how he leaves the stage). With Vance, he's likely to keep the center of the party in right wing nationalism.... win or lose, he'll likely be the favorite in 2028 for the nomination.

Politically he's a weak peak, but it really doesn't matter if Trump wins IMO.

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I know everyone here hates everything right but his book Hillbilly Elegy is a great read.

I liked the book, but I also think he's also a much different person today than he was when he wrote that book.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We all think Vance is a terrible pick, but will the average independent and swing voter see it that way?

For what it's worth, my old man is pretty damn conservative and can't stand him.... doesn't think he's genuine.

17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I know everyone here hates everything right but his book Hillbilly Elegy is a great read.

That was before he went EvilEmpire and sounded sane. 8 years later what he wrote was bull****, fiction or Trump and Putin have something on him. 

Once he got into investment banking, all those values went down the golden toilet

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So the real angle to hit Trump and Vance on is that they are phony politicians, who don't really give a crap about the working and middle class and only care about serving themselves. I could see that being a successful angle to campaign on.

The experiences in his book are what they are, I don't doubt them. But it's hard not to look at everything that has happened since and think that his time in VC defines his persona a lot more than the book does. That he's forgotten more about where he came from than what he remembers.

I think that comes across to people, and is part of the reason (along with Ryan being a good candidate) as to why his showing was fairly poor in 2022's Ohio Senate race IMO

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The experiences in his book are what they are, I don't doubt them. But it's hard not to look at everything that has happened since and think that his time in VC defines his persona a lot more than the book does. That he's forgotten more about where he came from than what he remembers.

I think that comes across to people, and is part of the reason (along with Ryan being a good candidate) as to why his showing was fairly poor in 2022's Ohio Senate race IMO

Kamala will wipe the floor with him if they debate.

I've already been predicting that Vance will be the nominee in 2028, and that if Trump loses and Project 2025 goes down with him, the whole thing will be resurrected as Project 2029 under Vance.

One way or another, America will go full-on fascist. If not this year, then in four years; if not this year or four years, then eight years. It may take a couple of cycles, but it will happen. All the fascist regimes of the 20th century started out as democracies. It is fate borne of hubris.