2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've already been predicting that Vance will be the nominee in 2028, and that if Trump loses and Project 2025 goes down with him, the whole thing will be resurrected as Project 2029 under Vance.

One way or another, America will go full-on fascist. If not this year, then in four years; if not this year or four years, then eight years. It may take a couple of cycles, but it will happen. All the fascist regimes of the 20th century started out as democracies. It is fate borne of hubris.

Most fascists is about a cult of personality and I don’t know who fills the Trump role. I haven’t seen it from Vance. Remember when Desantis was next?

34 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

For what it's worth, my old man is pretty damn conservative and can't stand him.... doesn't think he's genuine.

What? Just because of his repeated back peddling on anything against Trump or a position that Trump would later come out against?  

I don’t follow the Trump train as closely as this board does. I try to avoid the rhetoric and division. I had pretty much decided to write in Youngkin’s name for the presidency in November. His not getting the VP nod 🙏 is a good thing. I was hoping he would stay as far away from Trump as possible. I would like to think he would be a choice in 2028. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well, Vance has basically become Trump’s hemorrhoid cushion. 

I won’t argue that. I’ve heard Vance’s name on and off for several years but never cared enough to look him up. I just looked up his bio. Interesting beyond politics. 

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

What? Just because of his repeated back peddling on anything against Trump or a position that Trump would later come out against?  

Also the perception that Trump used the biography (and the people in it) for self-serving, brand related reasons.

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So the real angle to hit Trump and Vance on is that they are phony politicians, who don't really give a crap about the working and middle class and only care about serving themselves. I could see that being a successful angle to campaign on.

I don’t see that angle getting any traction. Trump already appeals to the blue collar guy/gal. He’s their hero against the establishment. The establishment is anything Washington. Biden represents over 50 years old political waste land in D.C. 

Vance isn’t going to hurt or change that perception among Trump’s base. Vance will be a boost to Trump’s chances over what a Mike Pence type could offer. Biden has his own issues within his own party right now and that isn’t going away. I don’t like either candidate. Should be interesting from here on out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

FYI,

I had so hoped Haley would be the nominee at the outset. 

Kamela is articulate.  The problem is she's articulate like a woman sending her steak back to the kitchen.  So, there is that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I don’t see that angle getting any traction. Trump already appeals to the blue collar guy/gal. He’s their hero against the establishment. The establishment is anything Washington. Biden represents over 50 years old political waste land in D.C. 

Vance isn’t going to hurt or change that perception among Trump’s base. Vance will be a boost to Trump’s chances over what a Mike Pence type could offer. Biden has his own issues within his own party right now and that isn’t going away. I don’t like either candidate. Should be interesting from here on out.

Ultimately I think you are more right than wrong just given that VP picks don't tend to matter at all regardless.... but ultimately it's not really about how it impacts Trump's base; it's how it impacts the kinds of voters that are actually being fought over in this election.

JD Vance is pretty far to the right on the issues with this set compared to a Doug Burgum or Glenn Youngkin. There's more risk here than I think you are letting on IMO

20 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I don’t follow the Trump train as closely as this board does. I try to avoid the rhetoric and division. I had pretty much decided to write in Youngkin’s name for the presidency in November. His not getting the VP nod 🙏 is a good thing. I was hoping he would stay as far away from Trump as possible. I would like to think he would be a choice in 2028. 

What about 2028?  ..........Premier Trump will appoint Ivanka as next Premier.  

23 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Because she's a woman?

Has nothing to do with the topic but this reminded me of something I know you’d appreciate.  “I didn’t tell him I was looking for a woman Marty”

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Kamela is articulate.  The problem is she's articulate like a woman sending her steak back to the kitchen.  So, there is that.

Kamala lacks substance. 

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Ultimately I think you are more right than wrong just given that VP picks don't tend to matter at all regardless.... but ultimately it's not really about how it impacts Trump's base; it's how it impacts the kinds of voters that are actually being fought over in this election.

JD Vance is pretty far to the right on the issues with this set compared to a Doug Burgum or Glenn Youngkin. There's more risk here than I think you are letting on IMO

Another way to think about this: Trump picked Pence in 2016 at a time when his support with evangelical voters was shaky at best. Which was a demographic that he absolutely needed in order to win. One case where it probably did help picking one particular candidate over another.

Trump's pick of Vance here will bring no one in that wasn't already in the tent when the day started.

He's certainly the favorite to win the election, but not so much so according to the aggregators that he shouldn't have interest in trying to make appeals *beyond* the base. Maybe I'm wrong, but this signals to me that he doesn't think he needs to do that. Which reeks of some overconfidence.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ben9753 said:

As much as I loathe Trump, there's something incredible about the amount of sheer luck the guy has. He's like a cockroach that somehow manages to scoot away at the last second from under your shoe. Father Time will eventually catch up to him, but I'm starting to think he may live past 100.

It's not just luck in staying alive.  He is lucky about everything - born into wealth, squanders it and then gets bailed out.  , spends his whole life being an asshole and committing crimes, always gets bailed out, worst president ever, but wins because he was up against a terrible candidate, inherits the easiest presidency ever, tries to overturn an election and inspires a riot, gets bailed out...looks like he'll win another election against an even worse candidate.