2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The golden rule of politics: everything that happens helps Trump 

Wouldn’t it cause legal bickering over who could even be named the new nominee? Add that with the assassination debacle all in one week? 

Is the constant panning to the candidate in the crowd a feature of these things? 

2020 doesn't count because it was a weird year, but back when I actually watched conventions, I don't recall the candidate sitting out there like this every single night.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Wow, crazy 20 year old with a gun. Equal opportunity.

Not exactly a surprise.

Quite the parallel to Arthur Bremer, who at 22, stalked both Nixon and Wallace in '72. Pretty much settled on Wallace because Nixon was being too tough a target. No logic in that either.

56 minutes ago, pfife said:

I heard commentators say it wasn't usual for the candidate to be ther that much before accepting the nom.   Of course slump is there for all the adulation he can scrounge

My memory is they were at a hotel or in a suite and were not shown until the official nomination then they would come out with their families and wave or have shots of them in their suite or hotel. 

5 hours ago, oblong said:

For the first time I’m starting to believe it’s more likely he’s not going to be the nominee. 

It's been a given for a week now, just taking some time for him to realize it.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Do they know something we don't? The polls show this as a toss up. I cannot understand forcing out the incumbent this early who has a successful track record and no scandals. 

Yes, they know Biden's numbers suck yet they are too afraid to share with him, add in the fact that traditionally an incumbent wouldn't be challenged, despite the fact that he even said he would be a one time president to bridge to another person outside of Trump.

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The debate was a symptom, not a cause.  He is a terrible speaker and getting worse.

538 has them ahead.  They guy who developed the 538 algorithm says Biden should drop out.  Not sure what to make of that.  

I still don't understand how so many of you have fallen into this belief that he was a terrible speaker.  He was a good speaker, borderline great speaker, who knew how to keep folks engaged.  He's nothing now when it comes to speaking, he can't even campaign, but i'm told that's not important, so there is that.

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So many videos pumped to Facebook about how "god guided the bullet away" which is just so unhelpful. 

They conveniently leave out that the bullets “guided away” from Trump struck innocent people. 

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

They conveniently leave out that the bullets “guided away” from Trump struck innocent people. 

Yep, because the billonaire's life is worth more than the racist jerk in the crowd.