2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Kamala seems like Hillary Part II.  

She has a great resume for the job and seems like an ideal candidate on paper but get her up in front of the cameras and she fizzles out and can’t connect with voters.

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

She has a great resume for the job and seems like an ideal candidate on paper but get her up in front of the cameras and she fizzles out and can’t connect with voters.

That's ok. This is fantasy football so we'll just swap her out for whoever George Clooney and Jon Stewart like. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

What happens when republicans roll out their attacks on Harris? Are Dems going to cower in fear and throw her overboard too?

I said it previously, but Kamala herself will be more equipped to defend herself against attacks than Biden is at this juncture. At some level, it's hard to expect the rest of the party to defend the standard bearer when the standard bearer cannot defend himself adequately.

That's a big reason why we find ourselves here, even if (IMO) it's not totally fair to Biden either.

Edited by mtutiger

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That's ok. This is fantasy football so we'll just swap her out for whoever George Clooney and Jon Stewart like. 

It's like in fantasy baseball when your #1 starter who isn't that great but has benefitted from BABIP all year and now he's lost a couple mph on his fastball in his last few starts.  You trade him for a top propect and hope for the best.    

Edited by Tiger337

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I said it previously, but Kamala herself will be more equipped to defend herself against attacks than Biden is at this juncture. At some level, it's hard to expect the rest of the party to defend the standard bearer when the standard bearer cannot defend himself adequately.

That's a big reason why we find ourselves here, even if (IMO) it's not totally fair to Biden either.

Biden is being asked to defend himself not only against Trump but his own party. The whole party would have went to bat for Obama. 

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

It's like in fantasy baseball when your #1 starter who isn't that great but has benefitted from BABIP all year and now he's lost a couple mph on his fastball in his last few starts.  You trade him for a top propect and hope for the best.    

Except the trading deadline has passed. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Biden is being asked to defend himself not only against Trump but his own party. The whole party would have went to bat for Obama. 

Obama would crush Trump in a landslide though.  

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I honestly don't think we know what she would be like at this point.... we have gotten glimpses of her as VP, but largely people's views about her often revolve around the 2020 primaries, and candidates can grow and change during that timeframe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I honestly don't think we know what she would be like at this point.... we have gotten glimpses of her as VP, but largely people's views about her often revolve around the 2020 primaries, and candidates can grow and change during that timeframe.

I seem to recall in the 2020 primary she had trouble picking a lane. She was waffling between courting the far left or the middle. She tried attacking Obama which was a mistake. Ultimately, she didn't even make it to Iowa. 

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Hillary had 30 years of Republican and media attacks against her, Harris doesn't have that. I get that Harris fizzled out in the primary before Iowa, but Biden fizzled out twice in primaries before become President.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I always though Kirk was just for fun.  

He is great to listen to. One of his big platforms is telling young folks you don't have to got to college to be successful. He is so right in the sense. Statistics show over 60% of people who have degrees don't even work in those fields for a living but they get to carry HUGE student loan debts. They are the ones looking for a free handout for student loan debt relief. They signed on the dotted line and made the poor major choice.  Why should my tax dollars pay for that? 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

He is great to listen to. One of his big platforms is telling young folks you don't have to got to college to be successful. He is so right in the sense. Statistics show over 60% of people who have degrees don't even work in those fields for a living but they get to carry HUGE student loan debts. They are the ones looking for a free handout for student loan debt relief. iThey signed on the dotted line and made the poor major choice.  Why should my tax dollars pay for that? 

I do not really know Kirk except for his tweets which make it sound like a parody account.

I am not in favor of forgiving student loan debts because education has value.  I also think a lot of them have been legally scammed by schools and predatory lenders, so I think that part needs to fixed more than anything.  As for the debts, I am not opposed to some relief for those not making much income

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

He is great to listen to. One of his big platforms is telling young folks you don't have to got to college to be successful. He is so right in the sense. Statistics show over 60% of people who have degrees don't even work in those fields for a living but they get to carry HUGE student loan debts. They are the ones looking for a free handout for student loan debt relief. They signed on the dotted line and made the poor major choice.  Why should my tax dollars pay for that? 

Your tax dollars aren't paying anything. They have already paid back the money they borrowed. The loan forgiveness is basically cancelling the interest. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Your tax dollars aren't paying anything. They have already paid back the money they borrowed. The loan forgiveness is basically cancelling the interest. 

Can we get that for my house, my car, my credit cards? All of these required someone to sign and say they agreed to pay back with X interest. I would assume most college grads don't live below the poverty line. What about the young family that does who bought a car at a buy here pay here lot at 15% interest rate and the motor just blew? Can they apply for forgivness? Of course not, that would be silly! Nope, they get to roll that loan into the next loan (If they can get approved) and are told "You wanna make more money? Go to college!". LOL America....

Edited by Tigeraholic1