2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Ed O’Neill doesn’t need a “reintroduction”.  He’s one of the finest television actors of his generation.   **** right the hell off David Pepper, whoever the hell that is.    The disrespect…

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Many conservatives seem to think that college is evil and that they indoctrinate you into

I mean, that's a big part of it, although it's hilarious that the guys in Congress who make those arguments most loudly (Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz) all got degrees from Ivy Institutions. And in Cruz' case, I'm guessing his girls will end up attending one of those colleges too.... not a chance they're gonna go to college with the hoi polloi at Sam Houston State lol

Overall I'm just struck by how divorced it is from anything I experienced in two trips through colleges (Michigan Tech, UT-Arlington)... I know they both lean engineering, certainly they are more liberal than the GP and had campus activism but nothing that extreme. In general, the rhetoric around colleges would have someone believe that everyone attended Cornell or Oberlin or whatever. Nobody will admit it, but it's a form of elite bias.... guys like Hawley and Cruz and others projecting their experiences onto everyone's college experience. I just don't buy into it.

Edited by mtutiger

57 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Maybe when Politico gets through with crap like this:

They can get around to asking questions about medical records or even a statement about what happened.

Edited by mtutiger

A name circulating around that I hadn't heard until now as a possible Harris VP: Arizona Senator Mark Kelly.

Would be a really interesting contrast with JD Vance on a few different levels, particularly electorally when comparing their performances in 2022.

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe when Politico gets through with crap like this:

They can get around to asking questions about medical records or even a statement about what happened.

People just never learn.  LOL. Any temporary "shift" in his behavior is just part of his act.  He's still the same psychopath he's been his entire life.  

41 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, that's a big part of it, although it's hilarious that the guys in Congress who make those arguments most loudly (Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz) all got degrees from Ivy Institutions. And in Cruz' case, I'm guessing his girls will end up attending one of those colleges too.... not a chance they're gonna go to college with the hoi polloi at Sam Houston State lol

Overall I'm just struck by how divorced it is from anything I experienced in two trips through colleges (Michigan Tech, UT-Arlington)... I know they both lean engineering, certainly they are more liberal than the GP and had campus activism but nothing that extreme. In general, the rhetoric around colleges would have someone believe that everyone attended Cornell or Oberlin or whatever. Nobody will admit it, but it's a form of elite bias.... guys like Hawley and Cruz and others projecting their experiences onto everyone's college experience. I just don't buy into it.

I was at UM for the last dozen+ years as staff, and we've been in A2 and in and out and around UM for decades....yes there are, and have always been lunatic fringe elements in academia - it comes with the territory of having a lot of really bright people, many young, who haven't learned what they don't know. It's not really any worse than it ever was. But there is also a huge base of brilliant people doing the work to educate, solve, fix, that keeps society moving through that 'arc of history' Obama likes to talk about. 

The need for financial reform in the US university system is real and urgent, but higher ed in the US is one of this society's greatest strengths and we denigrate it at our future peril.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, oblong said:

I think the main thing is to remove the stigma of NOT going to college and pursuing trades or anything else.   And college doesn't have to be expensive if  you choose to do that.  What I resent too is this idea that a kid at the age of 17-18 has to "figure it out".  I took longer than 4 years because I didn't know what I wanted to do and refused to get sucked into some trap.  Yes, I did **** around my first year in college but I went to a strict HS and the freedom got the best of me... oh well.  I was 17/18. I don't apologize for it.  A few friends would mock me as a slacker (The Tommy Boy joke about a lot of people going to college for 7 years, they're called doctors, was a common one) but I knew I had the rest of my ilfe ahead of me and now I am blessed to have a good paying job.  I took some risks and did some low level work early on in my career but made the connections and that got me to where I am.  I know people I graduated with who weren't as fortunate and wasted a lot of money.  But hey.... they graduated from college in 4 years!  

I also think there's a misconception that everybody who goes to college is getting some stupid degree that's not relevant to finding a job.  No.  A lot of the student loan forgiveness is for people who took noble but low paying jobs because we collectively as a society decided those don't pay as well, but they are just as important as yours or mine.  Value isn't always what the bottom line rewards, especially service type jobs.  Social Workers... teachers.... that kind of thing.   And some of these recipients were victims of predatory practices, like racking up tens of thousands of debt from a for profit university when they could have gotten the same certification from a community college for little to nothing, only to get a job as a nurses aid or medical assistant making $20 an hour.   I have no issues with helping those people out.  If the government is giving handouts away I'd rather it go to them than some millionaire or corporation.

5 hours ago, oblong said:

I think the main thing is to remove the stigma of NOT going to college and pursuing trades or anything else.   And college doesn't have to be expensive if  you choose to do that.  What I resent too is this idea that a kid at the age of 17-18 has to "figure it out".  I took longer than 4 years because I didn't know what I wanted to do and refused to get sucked into some trap.  Yes, I did **** around my first year in college but I went to a strict HS and the freedom got the best of me... oh well.  I was 17/18. I don't apologize for it.  A few friends would mock me as a slacker (The Tommy Boy joke about a lot of people going to college for 7 years, they're called doctors, was a common one) but I knew I had the rest of my ilfe ahead of me and now I am blessed to have a good paying job.  I took some risks and did some low level work early on in my career but made the connections and that got me to where I am.  I know people I graduated with who weren't as fortunate and wasted a lot of money.  But hey.... they graduated from college in 4 years!  

I also think there's a misconception that everybody who goes to college is getting some stupid degree that's not relevant to finding a job.  No.  A lot of the student loan forgiveness is for people who took noble but low paying jobs because we collectively as a society decided those don't pay as well, but they are just as important as yours or mine.  Value isn't always what the bottom line rewards, especially service type jobs.  Social Workers... teachers.... that kind of thing.   And some of these recipients were victims of predatory practices, like racking up tens of thousands of debt from a for profit university when they could have gotten the same certification from a community college for little to nothing, only to get a job as a nurses aid or medical assistant making $20 an hour.   I have no issues with helping those people out.  If the government is giving handouts away I'd rather it go to them than some millionaire or corporation.

It's also for all those who went to college and took out loans and dropped out... many of whom learned the lesson that conservatives like to talk about too late.

That's the part of student loan forgiveness that should make sense regardless of one's political beliefs. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I was at UM for the last dozen+ years as staff, and we've been in A2 and in and out and around UM for decades....yes there are, and have always been lunatic fringe elements in academia - it comes with the territory of having a lot of really bright people, many young, who haven't learned what they don't know. It's not really any worse than it ever was. But there is also a huge base of brilliant people doing the work to educate, solve, fix, that keeps society moving through that 'arc of history' Obama likes to talk about. 

The need for financial reform in the US university system is real and urgent, but higher ed in the US is one of this society's greatest strengths and we denigrate it at our future peril.

Put another way.  If Oppenheimer doesn't have the rich US university system to plunder for minds, wir sprechen alle Deutsch und machen uns im Stechschritt an die Arbeit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Well, I’m guessing they aren’t using some janky random Twitter poll for their data.   That’s what they’re doing, Chris. 

They might even have access to a rigorous system of focus groups and high detail polling that doesn't reflect ridiculous vote share among minorities for Trump that still shows the battlegrounds not trending in the right direction.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Another thing is if you are in a STEM major, you don't hear anything about cultural issues in most of your classes.  You might take an elective where they talk about that, but you are only in that class to boost your GPA because your major courses are a lot harder! 😀

• Like 1

More damning Cheatle intel. When is the FBI or SS going to have briefings that will take journalists questions?

From the article:

Members of Trump’s team weren’t told that law enforcement was trying to locate Crooks in the minutes before he took the stage, and there was no conversation over whether Trump should have delayed his entrance, sources who were at the rally with the former president told CNN.
That’s despite the fact that local police had spotted Crooks multiple times with a rangefinder, a hunting device similar to a pair of binoculars that calculates distance, and had circulated a photo of him they had taken.
“We would have never let him go out there if we thought there was a threat to him,” one source present with Trump told CNN.

6 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

More damning Cheatle intel. When is the FBI or SS going to have briefings that will take journalists questions?

From the article:

Members of Trump’s team weren’t told that law enforcement was trying to locate Crooks in the minutes before he took the stage, and there was no conversation over whether Trump should have delayed his entrance, sources who were at the rally with the former president told CNN.
That’s despite the fact that local police had spotted Crooks multiple times with a rangefinder, a hunting device similar to a pair of binoculars that calculates distance, and had circulated a photo of him they had taken.
“We would have never let him go out there if we thought there was a threat to him,” one source present with Trump told CNN.

welp, we know where Tigerholic stands on Trump.

10 minutes ago, romad1 said:

They might even have access to a rigorous system of focus groups and high detail polling that doesn't reflect ridiculous vote share among minorities for Trump that still shows the battlegrounds not trending in the right direction.

Focus groups have played a pivotal part in shaping American culture for the past 75 years.   ****ting on them is almost as unpatriotic as doing in on the flag.   How do you think we got hot dogs, baseball, and bald eagles? All focus groups.   Few things are more American.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Focus groups have played a pivotal part in shaping American culture for the past 75 years.   ****ting on them is almost as unpatriotic as doing in on the flag.   How do you think we got hot dogs, baseball, and bald eagles? All focus groups.   Few things are more American.  

That's amazing.  Credit is due.

19 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So where is the data? 

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I realize that the STEMies are loath to trust the electioneers.   Their data-analytics and social science skills tend to annoy those who are looking for a plumb line on things.  But, the numbers can yield important data.   Just like wargaming and modeling and simulation can tell you a lot about a battle.  Maybe not everything but it can give you insight that will make a difference.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So where is the data? 

Good question.  Usually its too late to see the trends that the campaigns have kept under wraps because they create their own impacts.