2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

27 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would think the way to handle all this is for Biden to voluntarily announce he is not running and announce he's supporting Harris for President. He can make a statement on social media over the weekend/next week. Once Biden is rested and recouped from Covid he holds a formal press conference, with Harris there with him, and announces his endorsement of Kamala Harris for President and that he's turning his campaign team/funds/apparatus over to Kamala. 

I don't think it works like that.

The DNC will throw this out.

And hold open elections at the Conference. Electors alone will make the vote/ decision.

As MB posted, it's an attempt to bypass both Biden and Harris. 

Which will go up in flames at the DNC.

AFTER Biden wins the nomination at the DNC... THEN he might be able to pull this off.

But not before.

18 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Hawley is the gayest and most closeted senator not named Tim Scott or Lindsay Graham.

This is maybe the one subject where mentioning Hawley supersedes my prior rule.   

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Honestly, Biden needs to use it to his advantage. The elites and wealthy donor class don’t want him to be president because they are afraid he is going to deliver for the people. Essentially a populist message like Trump used in 2016 minus the crazy and racism. 

you know I think there it a lot to the idea that wealthy donors, even democratic ones, don't really want economic change, and Joe is old enough and doesn't give a damn enough anymore to the point he just might try to deliver at least some, and they don't really like that idea.

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

You guys are impossible. If it is not Dem new source its fake news. If its a Rep Senator he is the devil and can't be trusted. We are just never going to find common ground. 

Didn't even John Danforth say he regretted ever supporting Hawley? He has a deserved rep for being a good deal more slimy than the average DC slimball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

All the op-eds leading up to this point that always pondered fantasy ticket scenarios and flat ignored Kamala Harris' existence loom really large

that thud you hear is the sound of the weight of reality hitting the ground.

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Didn't even John Danforth say he regretted ever supporting Hawley? He has a deserved rep for being a good deal more slimy than the average DC slimball.

What about Bob Menendez? I thought only RW had slimy Senators? Has Hawley been indicted for anything? Why not then? Repubs are the minority correct? 

Republicans won 222 seats to 213 for Democrats, though one elected Democrat has since died, leaving Democrats with 212 seats. Democrats still control the Senate — with 51 votes instead of last term's 50 plus the tie-breaking Vice President Harris.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

51 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think it works like that.

The DNC will throw this out.

And hold open elections at the Conference. Electors alone will make the vote/ decision.

As MB posted, it's an attempt to bypass both Biden and Harris. 

Which will go up in flames at the DNC.

AFTER Biden wins the nomination at the DNC... THEN he might be able to pull this off.

But not before.

Something more like this. I don't think Biden allows an open convention - why should he? Even if he entertained the idea of stepping down, it wouldn't be by letting the nomination go, it would be by pledging to resign in place of Harris after the election. That's really the only way to hold all his supporters, hold the AA vote, and assuage all the "he's too old" talk all at the same time.

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

What about Bob Menendez? I thought only RW had slimy Senators? Has Hawley been indicted for anything? Why notthen? Repubs are the minority correct? 

Republicans won 222 seats to 213 for Democrats, though one elected Democrat has since died, leaving Democrats with 212 seats. Democrats still control the Senate — with 51 votes instead of last term's 50 plus the tie-breaking Vice President Harris.

OK mea culpa, I have to give you Menendez! :classic_laugh:

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you know I think there it a lot to the idea that wealthy donors, even democratic ones, don't really want economic change, and Joe is old enough and doesn't give a damn enough anymore to the point he just might try to deliver at least some, and they don't really like that idea.

Of course wealthy donors don't want a lot of change since everything is going great for them!  My problem with the Democratic party is that I think that they talk about change more than they actually want it since they have to please their donors.  Pre-Trump, the Republicans basically told their voters 'we're going to treat you like ****, but don't worry.  It's going to be good for you!"  So, the Demcratics have been more hypocritical in that respect.  Where the Republicans have been hypocritical, espcially now under Trump is pretending to care about Christianity and family values of which many of them have none.  They also always talk about patriotism and the constitution and now it turns out that they have disdain for the constitution.  

Edited by Tiger337

6 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

What about Bob Menendez? I thought only RW had slimy Senators? Has Hawley been indicted for anything? Why not then? Repubs are the minority correct? 

What about him? Dems forced him out. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Republicans did force Liz Cheney out who was a principled conservative. 

A notable comparison that the Dems primaried one of their most wing nut reps (Bowman), the GOP one of their most principled.