2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Six days since the shooting and still no medical or mental update on the former president's condition. We've never had a true update on his medical status other than the "he's the healthiest human alive from Dr Ronnie Feelgood.

50 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Something more like this. I don't think Biden allows an open convention - why should he? Even if he entertained the idea of stepping down, it wouldn't be by letting the nomination go, it would be by pledging to resign in place of Harris after the election. That's really the only way to hold all his supporters, hold the AA vote, and assuage all the "he's too old" talk all at the same time.

This isn't even about Biden.

It's about Harris.

Seeing all these posts about DONORS pressuring Dems to pressure Biden to quit...? They don't want Biden to quit, they want to NOT have Harris leading an administration. And the only way to do that is to pressure Biden to QUIT NOW so they can overthrow Harris at the convention.

THAT is what this is all about. It's an end-around SPECIFICALLY AIMED at Harris; not Biden. They just need to get him out of the way so they can get to her.

Biden has to accept the nomination.

And THEN, if he is stepping aside, hand it over to Harris. And there should be a succession plan so that the SAME MINUTE that Biden hands it over to Harris, Harris can immediately announce her chosen VP, whomever that may be.

IMO.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Proof it’s the donor class pushing Biden out. 

This is (more) proof to me that the donors aren't serious about making sure Democrats retain/gain power. If they were, they'd be doubling down on support for Dem candidates in the Senate/House, even if they did still ask for Biden to step down. I agree with others, the rich take care of their own.

11 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

I agree with others, the rich take care of their own.

Exactly this!

You don't think wealthy Democrats want tax cuts too?

Of course they do!

Trump will give them that. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This isn't even about Biden.

It's about Harris.

Seeing all these posts about DONORS pressuring Dems to pressure Biden to quit...? They don't want Biden to quit, they want to NOT have Harris leading an administration. And the only way to do that is to pressure Biden to QUIT NOW so they can overthrow Harris at the convention.

THAT is what this is all about. It's an end-around SPECIFICALLY AIMED at Harris; not Biden. They just need to get him out of the way so they can get to her.

Biden has to accept the nomination.

And THEN, if he is stepping aside, hand it over to Harris. And there should be a succession plan so that the SAME MINUTE that Biden hands it over to Harris, Harris can immediately announce her chosen VP, whomever that may be.

IMO.

Let me amend this:

DONORS.

It's about their wallets.

Biden-Harris have promised to enact a more progressive tax structure. That means more taxes for the top 1%, less taxes for the middle class.

Trump has promised the exact opposite.

This is Dem Donors last chance to overthrow the Biden-Harris ticket, or Harris-VP ticket, and put in place a different ticket less favorable to making taxes more progressive... Meaning they are protecting their wallets. Harris would continue with the same platform/ agenda. Without a changed ticket... they are sorely tempted to jump ship to Trump. This is their last chance to get what they want (a different non-progressive-tax Dem ticket) and still call themselves Democrats.

3 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Seriously, don't leave, I do enjoy having someone participate from the "other side". But please don't complain that we're attacking you. We're passionate about this stuff and have strong opinions, but at least from my side its not personal.

You're not even attacking him. You're attacking his arguments, which is what debate is. Apparently, in 2024 politics, that's bullying.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I actually don't know where Trump stands because I don't think he has any real beliefs.  He is a populaist demagogue who loves attention and power.  

Actually, I think we do know where Trump stands. Hint: it has nothing to do with policy.

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I live too boring of a life to leave. Politics sre fun, look multiple pages of how wrong I am! My wife does not have even have that stanima!

Maybe if you had a dozen or so wives, they would have that stamina!

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

All the op-eds leading up to this point that always pondered fantasy ticket scenarios and flat ignored Kamala Harris' existence loom really large

I've been noodling the plausibility of the idea that Biden knew some time ago—days or maybe more than a week, who knows— that he's toast to the electorate and needs to pull out, but the party can't just take him off the ticket without any plan, so they are negotiating several things to make the transition seamless as possible, such as who's going to replace him (maybe not Kamala), what the ticket will look like, how certain top delegates can whip lesser delegates into line, how donors will react, things like that. They couldn't say out loud they're doing something like that because that would look even more chaotic than what we see looks. And Biden can't say he will pull out in such a scenario, so he continues to insist he is staying in the race, even as he understands he has to pull out, because that draws less fire than they are prepared to fight at this moment.

I have no evidence of this, and I'm not saying that's what's happening, or that I believe it is actually happening. I'm speculating on the plausibility of it, which I think is enough that it lies within the range of outcomes.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Something more like this. I don't think Biden allows an open convention - why should he? Even if he entertained the idea of stepping down, it wouldn't be by letting the nomination go, it would be by pledging to resign in place of Harris after the election. That's really the only way to hold all his supporters, hold the AA vote, and assuage all the "he's too old" talk all at the same time.

That would be the biggest example of bait and switch in the history of the United States of America. The next sound you would hear is millions of Democrats who voted for Biden giving the party the raspberry on the way out the door.

Edited by chasfh

I’m seriously believing the Covid thing is the first orchestrated move to remove him. I believe Biden commented the day of, or the prior day, of his testing positive that the only way he would step down is if doctor’s orders demanded as much. I’m waiting for the next act. 

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Let me amend this:

DONORS.

It's about their wallets.

Biden-Harris have promised to enact a more progressive tax structure. That means more taxes for the top 1%, less taxes for the middle class.

Trump has promised the exact opposite.

This is Dem Donors last chance to overthrow the Biden-Harris ticket, or Harris-VP ticket, and put in place a different ticket less favorable to making taxes more progressive... Meaning they are protecting their wallets. Harris would continue with the same platform/ agenda. Without a changed ticket... they are sorely tempted to jump ship to Trump. This is their last chance to get what they want (a different non-progressive-tax Dem ticket) and still call themselves Democrats.

Hmm, sounds like they want Manchin.

52 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Six days since the shooting and still no medical or mental update on the former president's condition. We've never had a true update on his medical status other than the "he's the healthiest human alive from Dr Ronnie Feelgood.

You know, at some point Trump is going to have the take the bandage off he ear, and it had better look good and gnarly, because if it doesn't, then we're all going to know that he wasn't actually shot. Except for the evangelicals who will claim Jesus touched his ear and healed it back to 100% because Trump sits at the right hand of The Son.

Of course, Trump won't take the bandage off until the day after the election, because it will serve as the ever-present reminder to voters of why he must become president again.

WashingtonCNN — 

First lady Dr. Jill Biden will host a fundraiser while she’s in Paris leading the US delegation to the Olympic Games opening ceremony in Paris later this month, the Biden-Harris campaign said.

——————-

Jill can’t let it go. This isn’t about serving the country anymore. This is about serving yourself and your lust for power. Give it up, the charade is over. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

That would be the biggest example of bait and switch in the history of the United States of America. The next sound you would hear is millions of Democrats who voted for Biden giving the party the raspberry on the way out the door.

Not if he makes the announcement *before* the election. People would know exactly what they'd be voting for. It would be Biden's way of stepping aside while keeping complete control of his pledged delegates. It puts a younger person in the office with his program but kneecaps all the people trying to torpedo Biden without having a candidate or plan, which would make the convention into a disaster. Granted - a very, very long shot, but if I'm strategizing how to step aside without total chaos ensuing, that is the only way to do it. Any idea that the Convention would be some kind of unity love-fest or that someone would emerge in some kind of big consensus if it were thrown open is fantasy of the highest order.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not if he makes the announcement *before* the election. People would know exactly what they'd be voting for. It would be Biden's way of stepping aside while keeping complete control of his pledged delegates. It puts a younger person in the office with his program but kneecaps all the people trying to torpedo Biden without having a candidate or plan, which would make the convention into a disaster. Granted - a very, very long shot, but if I'm strategizing how to step aside without total chaos ensuing, that is the only way to do it. Any idea that the Convention would be some kind of unity love-fest or that someone would emerge in some kind of big consensus if it were thrown open is fantasy of the highest order.

I don't know—I'm having trouble seeing people accepting seeing Biden at the top of their ballot when they know Harris is going to be the actual president. Why not just list Harris at the top of the ballot then? And even if Biden did announce it beforehand, believe it or not, there will still be a few million people voting for him who will not have even heard that he announced he's stepping aside after the election. That may be only single-digit percent of his voters, but that is more than enough to swing an election. And, not for nothing, that would provide Trump legitimate grounds to sue to either overturn the results or to re-run the election, and he would have a good chance of winning that lawsuit. Talk about chaos.

tl;dr: it's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Agreed. How many days does the FBI, SS need to brief everyone as to what went wrong? Instead rumors swirl.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know—I'm having trouble seeing people accepting seeing Biden at the top of their ballot when they know Harris is going to be the actual president. Why not just list Harris at the top of the ballot then? And even if Biden did announce it beforehand, believe it or not, there will still be a few million people voting for him who will not have even heard that he announced he's stepping aside after the election. That may be only single-digit percent of his voters, but that is more than enough to swing an election. And, not for nothing, that would provide Trump legitimate grounds to sue to either overturn the results or to re-run the election, and he would have a good chance of winning that lawsuit. Talk about chaos.

tl;dr: it's not going to happen.

But how does Biden just resigning put Harris at the top of the ticket? I could easily be wrong but I don't think it does. Just because she's the incumbent, she's not automatically the nominee.

Basically if you pull Biden from the ticket I think all roads lead to ruin.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1