2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

WSJ

July 19, 2024 7:23 pm ET

A gunman who tried to kill Donald Trump was able to fly a drone and get aerial footage of the western Pennsylvania fairgrounds shortly before the former president was set to speak there, law-enforcement officials briefed on the matter said, further underscoring the stunning security lapses ahead of Trump’s near assassination.

Thomas Matthew Crooks flew the drone on a programmed flight path earlier in the day on July 13 to scour the Butler Farm Show grounds ahead of Trump’s ill-fated rally, the officials said. The predetermined path, the officials added, suggests Crooks flew the drone more than once as he researched and scoped out the event site.

23 minutes ago, 1776 said:

WSJ

A gunman who tried to kill Donald Trump was able to fly a drone and get aerial footage of the western Pennsylvania fairgrounds shortly before the former president was set to speak there, law-enforcement officials briefed on the matter said, further underscoring the stunning security lapses ahead of Trump’s near assassination.

Thomas Matthew Crooks flew the drone on a programmed flight path earlier in the day on July 13 to scour the Butler Farm Show grounds ahead of Trump’s ill-fated rally, the officials said. The predetermined path, the officials added, suggests Crooks flew the drone more than once as he researched and scoped out the event site.

This is interesting because Biden was at a restaurant less than a block from my house. The day before, there was a drone hovering over my house. I assumed it was Secret Service scoping things out.  

58 minutes ago, 1776 said:

WSJ

he could have done the same research on google earth.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I've been noodling the plausibility of the idea that Biden knew some time ago—days or maybe more than a week, who knows— that he's toast to the electorate and needs to pull out, but the party can't just take him off the ticket without any plan, so they are negotiating several things to make the transition seamless as possible, such as who's going to replace him (maybe not Kamala), what the ticket will look like, how certain top delegates can whip lesser delegates into line, how donors will react, things like that. They couldn't say out loud they're doing something like that because that would look even more chaotic than what we see looks. And Biden can't say he will pull out in such a scenario, so he continues to insist he is staying in the race, even as he understands he has to pull out, because that draws less fire than they are prepared to fight at this moment.

I have no evidence of this, and I'm not saying that's what's happening, or that I believe it is actually happening. I'm speculating on the plausibility of it, which I think is enough that it lies within the range of outcomes.

Interesting idea, and in a perfect world that would be the way it should be done, but these Dems would be as leaky as a sieve to the media, don't see how they could possible keep any serious efforts under wraps successfully. If somebody managed that feat, they'd deserve to be President.

9 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

You guys are impossible. If it is not Dem new source its fake news. If its a Rep Senator he is the devil and can't be trusted. We are just never going to find common ground. 

I respect and have voted for one of the men in this picture. The other is an awful human being.

Why Sen. Mitt Romney says he couldn't work with Josh Hawley | KCUR - Kansas  City news and NPR

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Interesting idea, and in a perfect world that would be the way it should be done, but these Dems would be as leaky as a sieve to the media, don't see how they could possible keep any serious efforts under wraps successfully. If somebody managed that feat, they'd deserve to be President.

I don’t think they would involve every Democrat, just inner-circle White House people, top Hill allies, top delegates, top donors. I wouldn’t think anyone who have come out against Biden in public would be part of the discussions. This is just a plausible possibility as far as I know, probably a better chance it’s a complete circus on the inside. 

32 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I respect and have voted for one of the men in this picture. The other is an awful human being.

Why Sen. Mitt Romney says he couldn't work with Josh Hawley | KCUR - Kansas  City news and NPR

I don't believe I have ever voted for him, but I respect Romney and had no problem with him when he was governor of Massachusetts or any of his other positions.  I don't respect people who try to illegally overturn elections.  

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

One believes Jesus visited the Indians and that you get your own planet if you baptize all of your ancestors. They also wear magic underwear (seriously look it up). The other guy is not wearing a mask.

Our president didn’t wear a mask after telling the world that he had COVID 19.just a  few days ago. He definitely didn’t have the double mask but it looks tough to breath.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

35 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

One believes Jesus visited the Indians and that you get your own planet if you baptize all of your ancestors. They also wear magic underwear (seriously look it up). 

So if someone holds different religious beliefs, that means they are the devil and can't be trusted?

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't believe I have ever voted for him, but I respect Romney and had no problem with him when he was governor of Massachusetts or any of his other positions.  I don't respect people who try to illegally overturn elections.  

Romney is really conservative on a lot of issues, especially immigration. But his commitment to fact based reality is honorable and shows courage. He will be missed when he leaves, unfortunately there aren't many honorable folks left up there.

46 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

One believes Jesus visited the Indians and that you get your own planet if you baptize all of your ancestors. They also wear magic underwear (seriously look it up). The other guy is not wearing a mask.

Our president didn’t wear a mask after telling the world that he had COVID 19.just a  few days ago. He definitely didn’t have the double mask but it looks tough to breath.

Why is believing Jesus visited the Indians any crazier than thinking he died and rose from the dead… or did any of the other miracles mentioned in most mainline Christian circles?   If you believe God can do anything then why wouldn’t he have done that?   Most religions contain bat**** crazy things to people on the outside.  Thats what makes the faith of the believers so important. 

• Like 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

Romney is really conservative on a lot of issues, especially immigration. But his commitment to fact based reality is honorable and shows courage. He will be missed when he leaves, unfortunately there aren't many honorable folks left up there.

I remember Maher saying shortly after 2016 something like “I gave Obama $X million dollars.  But if Romney had won… I would have been ok.  2012 was the last normal election we had. 

1 minute ago, oblong said:

Why is believing Jesus visited the Indians any crazier than thinking he died and rose from the dead… or did any of the other miracles mentioned in most mainline Christian circles?   If you believe God can do anything then why wouldn’t he have done that?  

He recently protected some guy from a bullet.  

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So if someone holds different religious beliefs, that means they are the devil and can't be trusted?

And just because he follows a particular religion does not mean that he has all the same beliefs as all others sharing that religion.  

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

Why is believing Jesus visited the Indians any crazier than thinking he died and rose from the dead… or did any of the other miracles mentioned in most mainline Christian circles?   If you believe God can do anything then why wouldn’t he have done that?  

It's also not germane to anything Eddie said. Literally, why should I give a **** what Mitt Romney believes or doesn't believe when evaluating his character as a politician?

The reality is that one of those men helped create the conditions that led to the January 6th attack. One of those men not only didn't but continually pushed back on it as it was taking place. What the latter believes about the afterlife has no bearing on how I'm evaluating it in this world.

Edited by mtutiger

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

I remember Maher saying shortly after 2016 something like “I gave Obama $X million dollars.  But if Romney had won… I would have been ok.  2012 was the last normal election we had. 

I won't say that it was better because a lot of good has actually happened since 2012, in spite of the time since being an era dominated by Donald Trump.

But politics and governance has become incredibly unserious since that time. So many clowns on the scene, like the Boeberts and Greenes, who get way more airtime than they ever should. And the serious people, the ones who actually care about legislation and doing the work, some of them still exist but, on the GOP side, they keep getting pushed into retirement or given close primaries. I don't like the direction it is headed long term.

People will go out of their way to give Trump a pass and say he's the "symptom, not the disease" or whatever, but IDK, I think the fact that he unleashed something that maybe was previously latent shouldn't be used an excuse.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Why is believing Jesus visited the Indians any crazier than thinking he died and rose from the dead… or did any of the other miracles mentioned in most mainline Christian circles?   If you believe God can do anything then why wouldn’t he have done that?   Most religions contain bat**** crazy things to people on the outside.  Thats what makes the faith of the believers so important. 

I mean this is not the religion thread but Christians follow the Old and the New Testament. The Mormons follow the Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price. They claim to be Christians but Theologians don’t consider them that. My brother is Mormon and my nephew is finishing his 1st year of his 2 year mission operating in Provo Utah. You can’t talk to family during this time. Once you complete your mission you are required to return home and prepare for the Great War by stock piling ammo and food to last a minimum of six months. My brother has already purchased all of this for him just like he did for his older son.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

No the reason America is terrible is because of right wing Christians. It has been mentioned more than once in this forum.

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No the reason America is terrible is because of right wing Christians. It has been mentioned more than once in this forum.

I mean, you are the one who invoked Mitt Romney's faith to impugn his motives and/or character here.

I personally like to learn about different religions and/or beliefs, and have had interesting discussions with people who are in the Boston area here for their mission work. If they want to pass laws requiring me to follow their religious beliefs and practices-that is when I object. 

• Like 1

Here's what I don't get...

Vance claims to be from Appalachia. I grew up 40 minutes from where he did... maybe 50 minutes. Either way, the area between Dayton and Cincinnati is not Appalachia. That's midwestern suburbia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My journey with Mitt.  Long and convoluted.  Best summarized by Gunnery Sgt Hartman's character played by Lee Ermy in Full Metal Jacket.  "Private Joker is silly and he's ignorant.  But he's got guts; and guts is enough."

that was from memory...the actual quote is below

HARTMAN: Private Joker is silly and he's ignorant, but he's got guts, and guts is enough. Now, you ladies carry on.