2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

If I had to guess based on that letter I would say it's not going to be Harris, but we'll see.

I don't think the letter tells us much about that, tbh. If he gets behind Harris, he will likely wait till he speaks to the public

Just now, CMRivdogs said:

To quote that great philosopher Kenny Rodgers

You gotta know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold em

Now hit Trump hard on his age and cognitive capacity. He’s the real Hannibal Lector 

That would be the play but we don't even have a candidate for the next month to attack Trump. 

Biden made the right choice.  It has been pretty obvious for a while that his communication skills have diminished to the point that he is no longer an effective campaigner and his disastrous debate sealed it.  I feel like they were not going to win with him as the candidate.  A new candidate might do even worse but they also might energize the voters and win the election.  It's a chance that had to be taken.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I can't believe it, even if this is the right call.

I do believe Biden has done a tremendous job the past 3.5 years.

The paraphrase the Bard, "Nothing in his career became him as his leaving of it."

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Biden made the right choice.  It has been pretty obvious for a while that his communication skills have diminished to the point that he is no longer an effective campaigner and his disastrous debate sealed it.  I feel like they were not going to win with him as the candidate.  A new candidate might do even worse but they also might energize the voters and win the election.  It's a chance that had to be taken.  

I think it also shows him to be everything that Trump isn't... He knows the office is bigger than him. And particularly with a candidate like Trump, who he personally detests, that they need to go with the best possible option.

In the end, he came to the conclusion that the best option wasn't him and acted accordingly

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Never Trumpers, Podcast bros, and mega donors pushed out the greatest president of my lifetime. Democrats who I used to respect ****ed him over. The stakes are too high and I will vote for Harris but I won't forget. 

I just hope the Bill Kristol types can dispense with the fantasy tickets and get behind the Veep...

The fact that so many people when they speculated on this would avoid considering her probably made all of this way more tumultuous. Biden and Harris have a complicated relationship, but she's been a team player as Veep and has been likely the most effective surrogate on the campaign to-date. 

She's a part of his legacy, and there's zero chance he wanted her shanked in some sort of Aaron Sorkin fantasy scenario

Edited by mtutiger