2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Just now, mtutiger said:

Not that it matters much, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets at least a modest bump in his approvals for simply doing this

I still think Biden needs to a fixture on the campaign. Sell the success of the administration and prove she is the most capable of completing what they started. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I just hope the Bill Kristol types can dispense with the fantasy tickets and get behind the Veep...

The fact that so many people when they speculated on this would avoid considering her probably made all of this way more tumultuous. Biden and Harris have a complicated relationship, but she's been a team player as Veep and has been likely the most effective surrogate on the campaign to-date. 

She's a part of his legacy, and there's zero chance he wanted her shanked in some sort of Aaron Sorkin fantasy scenario

I wouldn't count on it. The ex-GOP mainstreamers will probably have paroxysms of ecstasy for a couple of days proposing unity tickets with  Kinzinger or Bloomberg types.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

I wouldn't count on it. The ex-GOP mainstreamers will probably have paroxysms of ecstasy for a couple of days proposing unity tickets with  Kinzinger or Bloomberg types.

The ex-GOP couldn't get their party under control so they are trying to take over the Democratic party and **** on the base while they do it. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still think Biden needs to a fixture on the campaign. Sell the success of the administration and prove she is the most capable of completing what they started. 

I think he will be out there for sure...

Biden is not the greatest President of our lives. He has done a good job, but Obama was better. Clinton was probably better too. Biden did a good job rebuilding structures and the sense of an adult being in charge that was destroyed during Trump.

But he was brought in to be vanilla and not worry people about where the nuclear football was located at any given moment. He succeeded at that, but not much else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Biden is not the greatest President of our lives. He has done a good job, but Obama was better. Clinton was probably better too. Biden did a good job rebuilding structures and the sense of an adult being in charge that was destroyed during Trump.

But he was brought in to be vanilla and not worry people about where the nuclear football was located at any given moment. He succeeded at that, but not much else.

Legislatively I think he's on par or even better than Obama... I also think his term has been marked by a rebuilding of state Dem parties that were previously decimated during the wave of 2010 (some of that is Trump though). 

But in other ways I do agree that Obama was better. Particularly in the Head of State roles.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What are you talking about? No president has passed as much legislation as Biden in a first term since Johnson. Add in the fact he was elected during a national pandemic, an insurrection, and razor thin margins in congress. He capped drug prices for seniors, he passed gun control legislation, he's created the most manufacturing jobs since the 70's, unions have expanded and won record contracts, the IRA has lead to one of the best economies in decades, he got the deficit under control, he got the US out of foreign wars, he's expanded NATO, historians have already ranked him as one of the top presidents. We threw him under the buss because of his age.  

1 minute ago, pfife said:

Looking back, it seems like he never recovered his numbers after they left Afghanistan.   Before that and even a little after that he was cooking. 

That was a big deal especially to those old school Republicans looking for an alternative to Trump.  I have no idea whether that could have been avoided, but milatary missteps are always judged harshly by Republicans and right leaning independents.  

Obama was epic for who he was, and ACA was huge lift to shift a paradigm,  but he was far too conventional in economic policy, failed at more a few things in foreign policy, didn't do a great job building his party.  I give Biden huge props for recognizing that today's democratic party needed to jettison the "new democrat" globalist "GOP lite" economic paradigm the began with Clinton that was hollowing out the American worker's ability to stay in the middle class. I think over historic time that could be even more important than ACA, but time will tell.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Legislatively I think he's on par with Obama... I also think his term has been marked by a rebuilding of state Dem parties that were previously decimated during the wave of 2010 (some of that is Trump though). 

But in other ways I do agree that Obama was better. Particularly in the Head of State roles.

Obama got Obamacare passed with a super majority and then Dems got slaughtered and we still haven't recovered. Obama also got the country out of economic ruin but he kicked the can on Afghanistan. He was a terrific speaker and campaigner and I wouldn't doubt Biden did most of the work getting Obamacare passed. 

Tim's right on this... They likely had a bunch of stuff in the can for his nomination, now they have to start from square one.

Obviously the challenges are bigger for the Dems, but this comes with some challenges for Trump's campaign too

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Biden made the right choice.  It has been pretty obvious for a while that his communication skills have diminished to the point that he is no longer an effective campaigner and his disastrous debate sealed it.  I feel like they were not going to win with him as the candidate.  A new candidate might do even worse but they also might energize the voters and win the election.  It's a chance that had to be taken.  

This is pretty much how I feel.    They were going to lose and this gives them the best chance of winning.    

Trump now has a huge pivot to make and I don’t think he’ll be able to do it.  Ironically, he’s too old to change.