2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Tim's right on this... They likely had a bunch of stuff in the can for his nomination, now they have to start from square one.

Obviously the challenges are bigger for the Dems, but this comes with some challenges for Trump's campaign too

Given Biden's age, I cannot imagine they didn't have anything in the can for Harris. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Given Biden's age, I cannot imagine they didn't have anything in the can for Harris. 

We know the people who end up circling Trump's orbit tend not to be the sharpest knives in the drawer....🤷‍♀️

With Joe immediately endorsing Kamala, it would be hard for the elites to bully another onto the ticket over her. Not impossible though.

Harris / Buttigieg is probably my top choice right now... Harris / Shapiro is another option.... Harris / Romney would be fascinating, though I think it's probably too far fetched (and I don't think Mitten would want the job).

If she's not on the ticket, I would think it's Whitmer, with one of Wes Moore, Stacey Abrams, or Raphael Warnock.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

A black woman and a gay man is getting too exotic. Obama had enough sense to get an older white man in the ticket. Roy Cooper is interesting to me. Perhaps he can help in Georgia and North Carolina. 

Roy Cooper screams Tim Kaine to me.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Obama was epic for who he was, and ACA was huge lift to shift a paradigm,  but he was far too conventional in economic policy, failed at more a few things in foreign policy, didn't do a great job building his party.  I give Biden huge props for recognizing that today's democratic party needed to jettison the "new democrat" globalist "GOP lite" economic paradigm the began with Clinton that was hollowing out the American worker's ability to stay in the middle class. I think over historic time that could be even more important than ACA, but time will tell.

Obama was inspiring, but I think he was hurt by his inexperience especially in working with Congress.  In retrospect, Biden should have been President from 2009-2016 and Obama from 2017-2024.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

With Joe immediately endorsing Kamala, it would be hard for the elites to bully another onto the ticket over her. Not impossible though.

Harris / Buttigieg is probably my top choice right now... Harris / Shapiro is another option.... Harris / Romney would be fascinating, though I think it's probably too far fetched (and I don't think Mitten would want the job).

If she's not on the ticket, I would think it's Whitmer, with one of Wes Moore, Stacey Abrams, or Raphael Warnock.

I mentioned Kelly in part because he's a popular Senator from an important swing state (Arizona is basically the insurance policy state for Wisconsin), but also because he's a veteran and an astronaut. It sets up a really interesting contrast with JD Vance, who will be less able to lean into his service if the Dem ticket has a vet on the ticket as well.

Certainly think Buttigieg is an option on that front as well

Absent them, A Midwestern/Rust Belt Governor (Walz, Shapiro or Whitmer if they would do it) or Southern Gov/former AG colleagues of Harris (Roy Cooper, Andy Beshear) make the most sense.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I mentioned Kelly in part because he's a popular Senator from an important swing state (Arizona is basically the insurance policy state for Wisconsin), but also because he's a veteran and an astronaut. It sets up a really interesting contrast with JD Vance, who will be less able to lean into his service if the Dem ticket has a vet on the ticket as well.

Certainly think Buttigieg is an option on that front as well

Absent them, A Midwestern/Rust Belt Governor (Walz, Shapiro or Whitmer if they would do it) or Southern Gov/former AG colleagues of Harris (Roy Cooper, Andy Beshear) make the most sense.

I think it needs to be a white male. Obama chose Biden because of that. My issue with Kelly is you risk losing that seat. Sure Hobbs will get to appoint the replacement, but I'm not sure if they would win the special election. 

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

Didn't they just go back to the well with birtherism?

That and Harris will be the DEI candidate. She was also the border czar so open borders. She's from California so nonstop stories of illegal immigrants committing crime in LA and SF. Add in nonstop video of homeless encampments and it's pretty easy. Hopefully Dems are up for the fight. 

I know I'm risking getting clobbered with the shame club for this, but is Kamala the slam-dunk nominee just because Biden endorsed her? Might there be other Democrats who want to throw their hat into the ring?

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That and Harris will be the DEI candidate. She was also the border czar so open borders. She's from California so nonstop stories of illegal immigrants committing crime in LA and SF. Add in nonstop video of homeless encampments and it's pretty easy. Hopefully Dems are up for the fight. 

I mean, probably... They have all kinds of attacks they can lodge, we'll see how effective they will be.

But, as Tim's piece alludes to, they expended a bunch of time and money preparing for one candidate. And now it's going to have to expend more time and money create ads (as well as the overall campaign strategy) to apply to another candidate. That's a legitimate challenge for them, it's not nothing

Posted (edited)

I really liked Biden.    I would say that as president he was more progressive than Obama which means I liked him more.  I really appreciate how he led the country with COVID-19, and the IRA, Infrastructure act, and the chips act.    I think Biden deserved much better than what happened here but it did feel like he was on the way to an ass kicking.

ETA:  How can I forget Ketanji Brown Jackson.   My goodness she's incredible. 

Edited by pfife

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think it needs to be a white male. Obama chose Biden because of that. My issue with Kelly is you risk losing that seat. Sure Hobbs will get to appoint the replacement, but I'm not sure if they would win the special election. 

Dan Goldman would be interesting - great debater, well known from the impeachment hearings, NY balances CA. Experience a little thin.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, probably... They have all kinds of attacks they can lodge, we'll see how effective they will be.

But, as Tim's piece alludes to, they expended a bunch of time and money preparing for one candidate. And now it's going to have to expend more time and money create ads (as well as the overall campaign strategy) to apply to another candidate. That's a legitimate challenge for them, it's not nothing

I just don't believe that. A lot of people voting for Biden, myself included, were doing so with the expectation that he wouldn't finish out the term. I cannot accept Trump didn't anticipate this either.