2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Gary Peters probably shouldn't be overlooked. Military background and he knows how to win in Oakland and Macomb Counties.

I actually like this. Peters is up for re-election in 2026 anyways. Whitmer will get to pick his replacement from a deep bench of Dems. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just don't believe that. A lot of people voting for Biden, myself included, were doing so with the expectation that he wouldn't finish out the term. I cannot accept Trump didn't anticipate this either. 

Finding ways to hate people is a way of life for Trump.  He will have no problem making the adjustment.  

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just don't believe that. A lot of people voting for Biden, myself included, were doing so with the expectation that he wouldn't finish out the term. I cannot accept Trump didn't anticipate this either. 

I don't think they expected it... It wasn't well noticed, but their campaign produced an ad before the debate (Id have to find it on YouTube) that kinda telegraphed that they weren't expecting it.

My guess is they have been wargaming Harris maybe since the Stephanopoulos interview... It's a head start, but still not nothing to have to reformulate months worth of work into a different candidate 

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

What about Shri Thanedar!   He brings in the very important multi-millionaire immigrant business owner with bad hair demographic.    

I don't think Kwame Kilpatrick is doing anything currently. Counter the felon vote that Trump is bringing in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pfife said:

What if Biden actually did resign the presidency...

I can easily cook up in my mind how that helps the Dems.  

One aspect: If Harris had to be a rookie president and run at the same time it would be a lot more strain on her than if Biden stays in place.

Edited by gehringer_2

People talk about how Biden stumbles over his words. The thing I worry about with Kamala is that I've seen her stumble over her ideas. I hope I just caught her on the several bad days on which I saw her. I hope she has the stamina to keep up and that she has an always-on button, because she's going to absolutely need both.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

What if Biden actually did resign the presidency...

I can easily cook up in my mind how that helps the Dems.  

It's risk reward... Kamala gets incumbency, but also has to deal with the day to day versus campaigning all day everyday.

Plus needing to get a VP confirmed which isn't nothing 

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I don't think they expected it... It wasn't well noticed, but their campaign produced an ad before the debate (Id have to find it on YouTube) that kinda telegraphed that they weren't expecting it.

My guess is they have been wargaming Harris maybe since the Stephanopoulos interview... It's a head start, but still not nothing to have to reformulate months worth of work into a different candidate 

the problem is that she has been a relatively low-profile VP so she hasn't provided much recent material to work with. I haven't heard anything out there like Al Gore's "I invented the internet" stuff.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

People talk about how Biden stumbles over his words. The thing I worry about with Kamala is that I've seen her stumble over her ideas. I hope I just caught her on the several bad days on which I saw her. I hope she has the stamina to keep up and that she has an always-on button, because she's going to absolutely need both.

4 yrs ago I think she had real problem with not having thought through all her positions clearly before she went on the campaign trail. We can only hope that having been part of a pretty well oiled policy apparatus for 4 yrs she's more up to speed with all the angles. 

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

4 yrs ago I think she had real problem with not having thought through all her positions clearly before she went on the campaign trail. We can only hope that having been part of a pretty well oiled policy apparatus for 4 yrs she's more up to speed with all the angles. 

I think she couldn't pick a lane. She wanted to appeal to the Bernie Bros and attacked Obama and that proved to be a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Other than she doesn’t want it.  Is there a reason not to try to convince Michelle Obama?  If this is really the most important election in the history of democracy then she should be the candidate.  She’d crush Trump even getting in this late.  

They will immediately be able to fundraise and build a campaign infrastructure quickly.  Big names will come out of the woodwork to work the campaign and donate.  She will bring the black, female, and progressive votes back in unity with the party.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think she couldn't pick a lane. She wanted to appeal to the Bernie Bros and attacked Obama and that proved to be a bad idea. 

Part of the issue is that, because of the atmosphere in 2020, her greatest asset as a candidate (being a former prosecutor) was something she couldn't really deploy.

Times have changed, for better or worse. I do think she can use her whole biography a lot easier in 2024.

• Like 1

Just now, Hongbit said:

Other than she doesn’t want it.  Is there a reason not to try to convince Michelle Obama?  

They will immediately be able to fundraise and build a campaign infrastructure quickly.  Big names will come out of the woodwork to work the campaign and donate.  She will bring both the black, female, and progressive votes back in unity with the party.  

If this is really the most important election in the history of democracy then she should be the candidate.  She’d crush Trump even getting in this late.  

zero government management experience? No, just no. Great lady, not prepared.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

zero government management experience? No, just no. Great lady, not prepared.

I hear you but that doesn’t really matter to voters.   Whether she has the skills to be a good President is secondary to her ability to get elected.  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I hear you but that doesn’t really matter to voters.   Whether she has the skills to be a good President is secondary to her ability to get elected.  

All we need her to do is win. Barrack can run the country once she's in. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Why do you think she’d crush Trump?

A Democratic think tank paid for an independent poll that had her up by double digits over Trump.  

Edited by Hongbit

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Part of the issue is that, because of the atmosphere in 2020, her greatest asset as a candidate (being a former prosecutor) was something she couldn't really deploy.

Times have changed, for better or worse. I do think she can use her whole biography a lot easier in 2024.

Out of likes but this is an excellent point.