2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I think this is actually great for the Democrats.   Biden is too old.  Trump is too old.   We needed someone younger and now all the attention is away from Trump.      It won't be breaking news every time he farts.     

I don't think it should automatically be Harris, though.    

Can you imagine a political convention that actually matters?   How exciting is that?    Not just a dog and pony show. 

Best VP candidate for Harris would be Mark Kelly because he does have military clout, but unlike Michigan and Colorado, Arizona has a special election to fill it.    Colorado (Michael Bennett) and Michigan (Gary Peters)  - the Governor appoints the replacement in the Senate to finish the whole term.   

Josh Shapiro -  Trump supporters actually voted for him in PA

Mark Kelly - Military Background,   Has dealt with gun violence directly

Roy Cooper - I don't that it swings NC away from Trump,  as sophisticated as NC can be, they still do redneck things

Andy Beshear -  Winning in a deep red state twice?   He wouldn't help win Kentucky, but he could sway a few other purple states

Michael Bennett - Still relatively young.   Polis can appoint a democrat to fill his seat

Gary Peters - Military background.   He's a bit bland, but I'm fine with that.   

Taylor Swift.   It's all about celebrity,  she'll be 35 in December.  They could win, she could put on a great inaugaration performance - try the job for a few months and then step aside.   They'd win in a landslide and Trump would have a stroke. 

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I think this is actually great for the Democrats.   Biden is too old.  Trump is too old.   We needed someone younger and now all the attention is away from Trump.      It won't be breaking news every time he farts.     

I don't think it should automatically be Harris, though.    

Can you imagine a political convention that actually matters?   How exciting is that?    Not just a dog and pony show. 

Best VP candidate for Harris would be Mark Kelly because he does have military clout, but unlike Michigan and Colorado, Arizona has a special election to fill it.    Colorado (Michael Bennett) and Michigan (Gary Peters)  - the Governor appoints the replacement in the Senate to finish the whole term.   

Josh Shapiro -  Trump supporters actually voted for him in PA

Mark Kelly - Military Background,   Has dealt with gun violence directly

Roy Cooper - I don't that it swings NC away from Trump,  as sophisticated as NC can be, they still do redneck things

Andy Beshear -  Winning in a deep red state twice?   He wouldn't help win Kentucky, but he could sway a few other purple states

Michael Bennett - Still relatively young.   Polis can appoint a democrat to fill his seat

Gary Peters - Military background.   He's a bit bland, but I'm fine with that.   

Taylor Swift.   It's all about celebrity,  she'll be 35 in December.  They could win, she could put on a great inaugaration performance - try the job for a few months and then step aside.   They'd win in a landslide and Trump would have a stroke. 

What the hell is the point of the primary? Harris is the only one who has access to Biden's war chest. She's the only one who has access to the infrastructure. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

What the hell is the point of the primary? Harris is the only one who has access to Biden's war chest. She's the only one who has access to the infrastructure. 

I think people need to open themselves to the idea that she has maybe learned a thing or two about a thing or two since 2020 as well.

People are largely going off of 2020 when they judge her so negatively... In the appearances that I have seen during this campaign, she has shown a lot of growth. She had arguably been Biden's best asset as a surrogate 

Edited by mtutiger

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That would actually generate a legitimate attack: a vote for Michelle is a vote for a third term of Barack, like a sven-jolly. I could see a lot of swing voters and fecne-sitters getting turned off by that idea.

That was why Hillary kept Bill sort of at a distance, though I'm not sure that in her case the idea that it would be Bill's 3rd term might not have helped her overall....:classic_dry:

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

At least there isn't going to be some gameshow style nomination process. Harris is the candidate. Only question now is who the VP nominee will be. 

Probably should wait until the big donors get their first look at the new polls next week before being sure about anything.  

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Whomever the Democratic nominee would be has that access too.     Come on, do you think if it was Newsom or Kelly or Gretch running that they'd just pack it all up?   No freaking way.  

Now - SHARPEN UP YOUR MESSAGE!    The economy is doing great,  Inflation has slowed to a crawl (and is a worldwide problem).  Unemployment is low.   Long-ignored infrastructure is being addressed (proving thousands of jobs and making things safer for everyone).    

ENERGY !!!!!

This is a very patriotic thing that Biden is doing.  It's gotta hurt the ego, but come on, being a President at 85?   Give me a break.   

Whoops,  wait a minute.    BREAKING NEWS.    Kamala Harris may have cheated in a 4th grade spelling bee.    She must be replaced.  

Just now, oblong said:

That says so much.  Why the **** would they care about pissing off Democratic voters?

It's likely about neutralizing any Jan 6th talk coming up the pike with swing voters. Giving a "what about" to counter with.

The problem is that, if polls are to be believed, most people *wanted* this result. 

I've honest been surprised by their response to this news, it's the most disorganized they have been this entire campaign cycle

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Whomever the Democratic nominee would be has that access too.     Come on, do you think if it was Newsom or Kelly or Gretch running that they'd just pack it all up?   No freaking way.  

Now - SHARPEN UP YOUR MESSAGE!    The economy is doing great,  Inflation has slowed to a crawl (and is a worldwide problem).  Unemployment is low.   Long-ignored infrastructure is being addressed (proving thousands of jobs and making things safer for everyone).    

ENERGY !!!!!

This is a very patriotic thing that Biden is doing.  It's gotta hurt the ego, but come on, being a President at 85?   Give me a break.   

Whoops,  wait a minute.    BREAKING NEWS.    Kamala Harris may have cheated in a 4th grade spelling bee.    She must be replaced.  

No they don't. They legally don't have access to the Biden campaign funds. 

1 hour ago, pfife said:

What if Biden actually did resign the presidency...

I can easily cook up in my mind how that helps the Dems.  

Let's take it two steps farther. Sotomayor resigns (she's had some health issues) Biden names Harris as her replacement....

Now what?
It would probably be 1) a stretch to get Harris thru the Senate quickly enough. 2)  Trumpublicans would probably also stonewall whomever Biden picks as Harris' replacement.

It's going to be bad enough with Harris serving as President of the Senate on Jan 6, 2025 when it comes time to certify the election.

Just now, mtutiger said:

It's likely about neutralizing any Jan 6th talk coming up the pike with swing voters. Giving a "what about" to counter with.

The problem is that, if polls are to be believed, most people *wanted* this result. 

I've honest been surprised by their response to this news, it's the most disorganized they have been this entire campaign cycle

Harris was on the ticket so we did vote for Harris. 

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Yup.

Yeah, that's the problem with Kelly.     I think he's the perfect pick, but you also have to weigh what is more risky, letting Trump get in there again or having a 49-51 Senate?      That answer is clear.     The damage he could do is so much more toxic than a Senate that won't cooperate.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Yeah, that's the problem with Kelly.     I think he's the perfect pick, but you also have to weigh what is more risky, letting Trump get in there again or having a 49-51 Senate?      That answer is clear.     The damage he could do is so much more toxic than a Senate that won't cooperate.  

It's a dilemma that comes down to what they think the trajectory of the state goes in longer term. 

I'd probably take that gamble, but I can see where one of the other options seems less bad

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The one other thing for Harris is that she has to work on being more the 'Happy Warrior.' Americans don't like to vote for dour people and Kamala can tend in that direction.

I think she has been better at that as a surrogate for Biden in this cycle fwiw

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

It's a dilemma that comes down to what they think the trajectory of the state goes in longer term. 

I'd probably take that gamble, but I can see where one of the other options seems less bad

There is no scenario worse than Trump winning again.      That's rock bottom.  

Just now, mtutiger said:

I think she has been better at that as a surrogate for Biden in this cycle fwiw

I think the problem with that is that when a man does it he's serious, when a woman does it she's dour.        Sometimes you need to be frank.    I don't need a ****ing carnival barker - I need an administrator and problem solver.