2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just thinking, I would love to watch a JD Vance-Pete Buttigieg debate. He's not high on my list, I would prefer a governor or someone with executive office experience

I hear you, but what executive office experience does JD Vance have on the GOP ticket?  Isn’t it ludicrous? 😂

If you step back to a longer view what appears to be happening with the orchestrated transition to Harris  in the US is quite similar to what happened in France in that people are coalescing around the need to stop an existential threat, and making the kinds of concessions to that cause that you probably wouldn't see in everyday politics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

At least one member of the former Grand Old Party still has some class...

Romney's problem has never been lack of class or personal virtue, he's  just stuck in a world view that's a couple of centuries out of date, so he's terrible on too much policy.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Newsom has endorsed Harris. I'm pleasantly surprised how quickly Dems coalesced around Harris. 

Have the wealthy donors who threatened to withhold donations to vulnerable Democrats if they didn't call for Biden to step down agreed to resume donations again?

Just now, LaceyLou said:

Have the wealthy donors who threatened to withhold donations to vulnerable Democrats if they didn't call for Biden to step down agreed to resume donations again?

I feel like I read they have. I'm not sure all these Dems would be supporting Harris if they didn't. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What are the Genocide Joe and Pass the Torch asshats going to do now? My guess is something about Harris locking up the entire black population of California. 

They're already saying that she's just as responsible for 'genociding' Palestinians as Genocide Joe. In other words, they're passing the torch, too.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Romney's problem has never been lack of class or personal virtue, he's  just stuck in a world view that's a couple of centuries out of date, so he's terrible on too much policy.

Maybe not a couple of centuries, Jefferson and Adams could be quite brutal. 60-70 years maybe?

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Now the media talk about his accomplishments. 

Yup, there are going to be weeks of suddenly fawning press, plus all the women who who saw Hillary defeated will be doubly charged up for Harris. It could all work if Harris can avoid mistakes for 3 months.

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

At least one member of the former Grand Old Party still has some class...

I wonder what polling suggests about a Harris-Romney ticket. I can’t imagine it would ever happen (Mitt’s been around long enough to know what a VP actually does and likely doesn’t want the job), and with the nature of the Senate you could be sacrificing a needed tiebreaker to the Rs.

But I have to imagine it would attract some number of NeverTrump conservatives.

So what’s Obama’s reason for declining to jump on the Harris bandwagon? He declines to endorse while saying an,“outstanding candidate will emerge.” I would think this a bigger conversation than I’m hearing.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wonder what polling suggests about a Harris-Romney ticket. I can’t imagine it would ever happen (Mitt’s been around long enough to know what a VP actually does and likely doesn’t want the job), and with the nature of the Senate you could be sacrificing a needed tiebreaker to the Rs.

Adding Romney would be the dumbest thing Dems could do after how smoothly this transition to Harris is going. It's why I put 50/50 odds on it happening. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

So what’s Obama’s reason for declining to jump on the Harris bandwagon? He declines to endorse while saying an,“outstanding candidate will emerge.” I would think this a bigger conversation than I’m hearing.

It’s possible there is more than meets the eye, but my guess is that he probably didn’t expect a consensus to be reached as quickly as one was.

Everything moved pretty quickly. I’d guess if he’d known that Dems would settle on Harris within an hour, he’d have crafted the statement differently.

It would be silly to release a second statement today. He’ll campaign for her I’m sure.

12 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

No. Stop it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It’s been pretty ugly here for the past two weeks towards Democratic leadership.  Too much name calling with more than a few times bordering on a full blown temper tantrums. It was a tough, tough call made by a party that had been criticized for being too soft.   It’s a big move for sure that deserves a ton of credit.  Maybe they aren’t as stupid as some of you thought.  

All I can say is that I feel a whole lot better about the chances of Donald Trump NOT being President than I have in a long, long time.   I know that I can’t be alone in that confidence.   That’s a great thing.  Let’s hope it pays off in November. 

• Like 1