2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

All the GOP complaints about Harris suddenly being the nominee apparent are a lot like the southern sheriff character in so many movies being duped by the fast driving character in such movies as...

Live and Let Die

Cool Hand Luke

Smoky and the Bandit

That's all I could come up with off the top of my head but..seeing a lot of JW Pepper in the House GOP's complaints about losing so many plots.

Edited by romad1

Once again the media is failing to point out something but not asking a question of Trump or his campaign. 

Why is she illegitimate, Donald?    The Democrats have not had their Primary yet and have not selected their  candidate yet.  They will select her, but why is she illegitimate? 

Donny boy is scared of her, that's all. 

As far as Shapiro "only being a Governor for 2 years".      Well, so what.    Trump had never been anything but a con man and game show host when he ran.   I don't think that experience thing even matters anymore.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

I want to see the ad that shows

For 203 years every transition from a living president to another was peaceful......until Trump

Since it's establishment as our nation's capital in 1793, Washington DC never had to be fenced off.........until Trump

Every since being asked, every candidate for President has shown their tax returns.........until Trump

Every departing President showed up at the next President's inauguration........until Trump

He once asked if ingesting cleanser could prevent COVID.   

He's a convicted felon, 34 times over. 

I mean...........just go after this piece of crap.       Turn the whole age thing around on him too. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

For 203 years every transition from a living president to another was peaceful......until Trump

Since it's establishment as our nation's capital in 1793, Washington DC never had to be fenced off.........until Trump

Every since being asked, every candidate for President has shown their tax returns.........until Trump

Every departing President showed up at the next President's inauguration........until Trump

I mean...........just go after this piece of crap.       Turn the whole age thing around on him too. 

So, not to be the pushes-glasses-back-up-the-bridge-of-his-nose guy who says "awkshully"

In War of 1812, DC was attacked and "burned to the ground" by the British in August 1814.   That is why when you are in DC, you the corner houses (built in the 19th C) have turrets which were put there to provide shooting lanes to protect the city against any future invaders.

turret1.jpg

Edited by romad1

Just personal experience.   Women are better bosses.     They tend to treat employees better and they don't focus so much on inflating their ego .    The first time I worked for my current employer the company didn't have the best reputation for employees being happy.   A woman has since taken over and my second run has been shockingly positive.   Sometimes I can't believe what I hear from my higher-ups.    I think "is this the same company?"    Instead of them spending time nitpicking and admonishing, they are encouraging and supportive.  I think she has a lot to do with that.   She set the tone.  That was my experience working at the hospital.  It was almost all women.   The person who founded our research department, Dr. Christine Cole Johnson, is one of the most renown people in American medical research and also very nice to her staff and supportive.   There are exceptions, of course (Carly Fiorina for one), but I think they are just more pragmatic and realistic about running things.   

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just personal experience.   Women are better bosses.     They tend to treat employees better and they don't focus so much on inflating their ego .    The first time I worked for my current employer the company didn't have the best reputation for employees being happy.   A woman has since taken over and my second run has been shockingly positive.   Sometimes I can't believe what I hear from my higher-ups.    I think "is this the same company?"    Instead of them spending time nitpicking and admonishing, they are encouraging and supportive.  I think she has a lot to do with that.   She set the tone.  That was my experience working at the hospital.  It was almost all women.   The person who founded our research department, Dr. Christine Cole Johnson, is one of the most renown people in American medical research and also very nice to her staff and supportive.   There are exceptions, of course (Carly Fiorina for one), but I think they are just more pragmatic and realistic about running things.   

Mostly true from my experience too.  I have witnessed some incredible toxicity in some majority female organizations.  Women can be very hard on their female subordinates.   Particularly when there is a sense of ingratitude toward the difficult march to leadership the glass ceiling breakers had to go through.  

Also, there is no more grindingly, soul-crushing bureaucratic and hide-bound organization than the Girl Scouts of America which lost focus on the "we need to prepare these young people for life" and instead adopted a "we need to have each Gold Project be a well-nigh unattainable new high watermark for humanity." 

But, yeah... have enjoyed most of my female bosses. 

16 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Mostly true from my experience too.  I have witnessed some incredible toxicity in some majority female organizations.  Women can be very hard on their female subordinates.   Particularly when there is a sense of ingratitude toward the difficult march to leadership the glass ceiling breakers had to go through.  

Counterpoint: Most of the worst bosses I had were women. Mostly in the 1990s and 2000s. I am thinking of three in particular. All of them, snappy and backstabby. Two of them were yellers, and the other one got ****-canned because she was made a clumsy political move against her own boss.

On the other hand, when I was in my consultant phase and came back to a company I myself had been given the gate by, I reported to a woman who had once been a peer and she was a dream boss. Gave me my marching orders, we talked about things along the way, she knew how to pivot based on facts on the ground. I actually looked forward to our weekly meetings. Unfortunately, she quickly moved on to something else, then I got another woman boss who was cordial and even-tempered but otherwise distant. Still way better than the other three, though.

Edited by chasfh

39 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Your comments are not entirely accurate.

John Adams left town before Thomas Jefferson was inaugurated. Adams did not attend Jefferson’s inauguration.

On Feb. 17, 1801, the Federalists in the House of Representatives finally, on the 36th ballot, gave up their quest to steal the presidency from Jefferson and certified his election. This left President-elect Jefferson just 15 days to put his administration together. It seems certain that he had already drafted his inaugural address — one of the three or four greatest in American history — and he knew going in that his principal adviser would be James Madison.  

John Adams left town before Jefferson was inaugurated. John Adam’s did not attend the third presidents inauguration. 

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Your comments are not entirely accurate.

John Adams left town before Thomas Jefferson was inaugurated. Adams did not attend Jefferson’s inauguration.

On Feb. 17, 1801, the Federalists in the House of Representatives finally, on the 36th ballot, gave up their quest to steal the presidency from Jefferson and certified his election. This left President-elect Jefferson just 15 days to put his administration together. It seems certain that he had already drafted his inaugural address — one of the three or four greatest in American history — and he knew going in that his principal adviser would be James Madison.  

John Adams left town before Jefferson was inaugurated. John Adam’s did not attend the third presidents inauguration. 

Good catch, actually there were five. J Adams, his son JQ Adams, Martin Van Buren, Andrew Johnson, Trump. Wilson and Nixon weren't around to see their successor sworn in for other reasons. 

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/notably-absent-presidential-no-shows-on-inauguration-day#:~:text=Five outgoing presidents – John Adams,not participate for other reasons.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I like Roy Cooper as a running mate. He’s popular in North Carolina and won even though Trump won on the same ballot. I think it’s strategic to start trying to lock in the south and not just the blue wall. 

I’m not a fan of Cooper at all at the state level here. However, I agree with your point overall. I recall Kerry choosing John Edward’s as his ticket to the south VP and that didn’t come close to working. Edward’s was trying to put the cart before the horse. Cooper would be a wise choice. He is a seasoned and polished product. Cooper was going to be on the national stage at some point anyway. His track record would stand up well beside most every opponent out there. Viewed as a progressive in NC he’d likely be viewed as a moderate nationally which would play well in the center. 

Edited by 1776

So, listening to the emergency pod that Tim Miller and Bill Kristol had on Sunday, Miller mentions that RFK Jr. has a presser today.    Speculation that he's going to endorse Trump.  

Because of course. 

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So, listening to the emergency pod that Tim Miller and Bill Kristol had on Sunday, Miller mentions that RFK Jr. has a presser today.    Speculation that he's going to endorse Trump.  

Because of course. 

RFK was a Trump inside job from the beginning. The polling must be confirming he would take more votes from Trump, thus the exit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Once again the media is failing to point out something but not asking a question of Trump or his campaign. 

Why is she illegitimate, Donald?    The Democrats have not had their Primary yet and have not selected their  candidate yet.  They will select her, but why is she illegitimate? 

Donny boy is scared of her, that's all. 

As far as Shapiro "only being a Governor for 2 years".      Well, so what.    Trump had never been anything but a con man and game show host when he ran.   I don't think that experience thing even matters anymore.  

CBS had one of Trump's sycophants on yesterday. I was only watching casually so I can't remember who it was, but I thought CBS did a decent job of calling out the BS.

The Trump campaign person called Kamala the "border czar" and the CBS interviewer countered with the statistics that show the fewest illegal border crossings in three years. She responded with "well that's just not how any American feels right now"

What happened to facts over feelings?!?

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There is probably some study that gives some more information on this, but my own personal experience tends to agree with you, although one of them definitely played favorites, luckily I was one of the favorites as I always cleaned up the mess of her actual favorites.  My current boss is female and is fantastic.

All that said, Harris has been known to have trouble managing her staff, although her office has been pretty quiet for the last year.  Rather she's bad at it or just had a few bad hires that caused trouble, I can't say.  I was ready to vote for Kloubachar last time around and she's had some similar complaints.  

30 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Because of course. 

Last night he called it a "two-man race" (intentionally a slight at Harris) and said he was the only candidate who could beat Trump.

So I doubt it.