2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Since when are Presidential candidates referred to by their first name in chryons?

Good eye. Probably since they realized exotic names scare old people in small towns.

9 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I just refuse to forget them. Biden had a chance to right the ship and draw down our troops, equipment and allies. He was in charge and failed at that task. To me it not even political it’s bad management. 

That’s OK, all kinds of people vote for Trump for one narrow reason. Lots of people will vote for him just because of the price of gas.

50 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was thinking about this very low unemployment we're having and something has really been annoying me lately.  

People begging for money. 

At the Ann Arbor Art Fair there is a guy who sits on the bench outside the Walgreen's at State St & N.  University and every time someone comes out of the Walgreen's it's "Hey, can you help me out?".   I mean he is out there all day every day (not just during Art Fair).     The Walgreen's, as well as dozens of other business in Ann Arbor have Help Wanted signs in the window.        I work my arse off.  I work 7 days a week.    Yes, I love what I do, but it took a long time to get here and I worked a lot of jobs I didn't like to get by.   Why should I give someone money when they can go work.     People beg for money at the base of the Hill shopping center in Allen Park and I think pretty much everyone is hiring at that shopping center.     

I try to have some sympathy, but I just feel like these are folks that just refuse to work.    I don't have a lot of sympathy for that.   Millions of Americans work jobs they don't like.   

Makes me sound like a Republican, but I would have more sympathy if there were no jobs.     

A lot of people are migrants and can’t get work. A lot of others are mentally ill and can’t get or keep a job, but there are no institutions who will help them (a core legacy of Ronald Reagan), so they have nothing else they can do. I would think very few who could get a job and could keep a home would choose joblessness and homelessness instead.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

A lot of people are migrants and can’t get work. A lot of others are mentally ill and can’t get or keep a job, but there are no institutions who will help them (a core legacy of Ronald Reagan), so they have nothing else they can do. I would think very few who could get a job and could keep a home would choose joblessness and homelessness instead.

A lot of vets learned one core skill: sleeping outdoors.  

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

If Harris wins trumpies will claim “they cheated by switching at the last minute”

I am seeing the "call" from Biden to Harris yesterday was not him or it was recorded. They are saying Biden is on life support or possibly dead and could not have approved Harris taking the nomination. They are basing this on Biden not physically being seen in almost a week. Don't shoot the messanger, that is the narrative thats out there currently.

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

I am seeing the "call" from Biden to Harris yesterday was not him or it was recorded. They are saying Biden is on life support or possibly dead and could not have approved Harris taking the nomination. They are basing this on Biden not physically being seen in almost a week. Don't shoot the messanger, that is the narrative thats out there currently.

This waste of a post citing someone like MTG or her ilk isn’t worth me taking the 3 seconds to look up the link to the picture so just imagine there’s a photo of Jean Luc Picard holding his face in the palm of his hand.  

• Thanks 1

LOLOL  

Biden has no role in "approving" Harris taking the nomination besides an endorsement.   Biden himself wasn't even the nominee yet.   And beyond that, the not yet nominee does not have the power to approve someone else taking the nomination. 

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This waste of a post citing someone like MTG or her ilk isn’t worth me taking the 3 seconds to look up the link to the picture so just imagine there’s a photo of Jean Luc Picard holding his face in the palm of his hand.  

I like the efficiency of this.  You don't even waste the effort to post the meme.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

The guys that literally went to the Supreme Court to throw out my legally-cast vote in 2020 are now worried about me being disenfranchised. 

Well, technically, the entire Electoral College system throws out our votes in the end, but I take your point.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, technically, the entire Electoral College system throws out our votes in the end, but I take your point.

Right now in Michigan it's precisely opposite, my vote is very valuable. 

Just now, pfife said:

Right now in Michigan it's precisely opposite, my vote is very valuable. 

As far it goes to help choose which candidate will get 100% of the Michigan votes that matter, sure.

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That’s OK, all kinds of people vote for Trump for one narrow reason. Lots of people will vote for him just because of the price of gas.

I am voting for him because he loves Jesus and America and has a great family.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As far it goes to help choose which candidate will get 100% of the Michigan votes that matter, sure.

I don't think I'm following, I agree that the electoral college does effectively disenfranchise millions upon millions of people but the other thing it does is make like 7 states super important and Michigan seems to be one of them right now.    I'm not sure what 100% means, that's actually not an electoral college thing, states determine how they split their electors based on election results, such as Maine and Nebraska who do not do 100%

Edited by pfife

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am voting for him because he loves Jesus and America and has a great family.  

And if America has any chance at all to beat the communists we need to empower our social media companies CEOs!  

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

I don't think I'm following, I agree that the electoral college does effectively disenfranchise millions upon millions of people but the other thing it does is make like 7 states super important and Michigan seems to be one of them right now.    I'm not sure what 100% means, that's actually not an electoral college thing, states determine how they split their electors based on election results, such as Maine and Nebraska who do not do 100%

Electoral votes are the only votes that count when it comes to deciding the president. Individual votes do not count. If they did, Hillary would have won in 2000, because she got more individual votes than Trump.

You and I are not voting for president. We are voting for a candidate's slate of electors from our state. If the Republican wins, their slate of electors will cast the actual vote for president. If the Democrat wins, then their slate of electors will cast that vote. Either way, in the end, our individual votes get thrown out and do not count toward the actual electing of the president, and only the slate of electors' votes will count, and 100% of all of a state's electoral votes will go to either one candidate or the other.

26 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I saw a post saying the reason MAGA wants Biden out before the election is so Harris would become president and the Speaker of the House would become the VP. MAGA Mike Johnson, who would then not certify the election when Harris wins. If this is true, stay healthy, Joe.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Electoral votes are the only votes that count when it comes to deciding the president. Individual votes do not count. If they did, Hillary would have won in 2000, because she got more individual votes than Trump.

You and I are not voting for president. We are voting for a candidate's slate of electors from our state. If the Republican wins, their slate of electors will cast the actual vote for president. If the Democrat wins, then their slate of electors will cast that vote. Either way, in the end, our individual votes get thrown out and do not count toward the actual electing of the president, and only the slate of electors' votes will count, and 100% of all of a state's electoral votes will go to either one candidate or the other.

I got all of that and agree with it

but it doesn't address the statement I made which is that my vote is really valuable.  You seem to disgree with that statement.  A lot of people are spending a lot of money pursuing it

Edited by pfife