2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I would be open to agreeing with a notion that when Biden decided to bounce, a handoff was coordinated with Harris.

I'm ok w/ believing the notion that Biden decided that on Saturday, not way before then.   That would be awesome if they rope-a-dope'd trump like that though.

G2 do you think it's conspiratorial to think the Democrats that wanted him out intentionally made the "stay in the race" option untenable?

I really have no idea at this point. It could be Biden's health/energy level has declined a lot very recently but a president is so insulated we can't tell that very well one way or the other. There are just a lot of aspects here. To me the biggest indicator that he is actually OK is the very fact that he stepped back. It's a paradoxical situation, by far the most likely thing if he were really losing it would be that he would have dug in and no-one could have done anything about it really. The delegates were his - period. Now, once you posit a man with fully functioning faculties and extremely deep political experience, there is really no limit to how many levels the strategy might have been played to. 

When I first posted this scenario  - more or less tongue in cheek, the one thing I hadn't given much thought to was the lame-duck issue but the more I thought about it, the bigger I saw it to be and the more willing I became to entertain the idea that there could have be 4 yr plan - maybe just partially formed in the background all along. In this era - with a divided Congress and the Senate filibuster and bad faith actors like McConnell,  it would be daylight madness for any President to announce he wasn't a candidate for re-election until the last possible moment. He would basically cut himself off at the knees. Plus Biden lived through both the LBJ withdrawal and Carter/Kennedy fiasco that helped elect Nixon and Reagan.

Or most likely you have little bits of all different motivations and factors playing into the final total.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Somebody from the Bullwerk posted video from a Biden interview during the 2020 campaign and compared it to the ABC interview. The difference as startling. The mind is probably still there, the rest of the body's not. 

It reminded me of a neighbor several years ago. Smart, vital man in his 70s. I remember a conversation we had when he was in his early 80s, every couple of minutes he asked me the same question. The guy passed a year or so later

This physical frailty is no illusion and your example is well taken. Generalized vascular dementia becomes an increasing risk with loss of physical activity level.

So it could be the plan all along was keep his options open and play it by ear until the last moment and if his preference was always going to be Harris, than waiting until the last minute worked on both levels. There has been a lot of reporting about the supposed rift with Obama over O's support of Hillary's bid. I certainly don't know how much of that is true vs click bait, but if it is, the way Biden has timed it all to insure Harris is the nominee would sort of be the ultimate 'you were still a rookie, kid, this is how it's done' swipe at Obama.

More conspiracy I'll wonder about for a while....

Biden challenged Trump to that debate.    Timing was really early which was... interesting.    

Did Biden's campaign think that was a good idea?

Why so early?

That debate is really the only thing that's moved any numbers in like 2 years.

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

coworker shared some Ipsos Reuters poll numbers 

44-42 

It's the 42 that's the critical number. Trump hasn't been higher than that since the 1st month of his presidency. Harris just has to be agreeable enough to pull half of the remaining 14% and it's a win.

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

coworker shared some Ipsos Reuters poll numbers 

44-42 

saw the number with RFKjr.  That's 42/38/8 which is just crazy.  The satanists shot Trump!  How can he be that unpopular?

Listening to Harris' stump speech in Wisconsin and contrasting her fire and vigor to Joe Biden is night and day. She's making a great case against Trump and MAGA in a way Biden just wasn't. It might not mean anything in the end and she might just lose this election. But she's sure articulating and prosecuting a strong case against Trump. 

11 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Leaked footage from inside the Trump campaign headquarters...

Love the video and the original movie is excellent. 

speaking about unburdened by what has been...the German people of today are so much different than the stars and bars crowd in the United States.  They have nazi idiots but they marginalize them. 

53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Listening to Harris' stump speech in Wisconsin and contrasting her fire and vigor to Joe Biden is night and day. She's making a great case against Trump and MAGA in a way Biden just wasn't. It might not mean anything in the end and she might just lose this election. But she's sure articulating and prosecuting a strong case against Trump. 

small note of modernity. Harris was wearing a wireless body mic. There's a little generational tech marker for you...

• Like 1

I am on vacation and fully intended to disengage from the world.  That included twitter and this site, for politics and the Tigers. Then the other day my son drops the bomb.   Damn.  I tried.  But seeing the reaction on social media from my MAGA friends…. They are scared.  

• Like 1