2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Speaking of DeSantis, the media suddenly quit talking about him. He was totally built by the media as a rival to Trump but completely lacked the charisma. He reminds me of Scott Walker. 

Once he was out of the race he went back to being a little more normal (which in the US means less newsworthy) - buried the hatchett with Disney and went back to trying to keep his state above water.

(pun intended!)

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Has any candidate ever fizzled out more on a national stage than DeSantis?

I’m sure it’s up for debate but Bobby Jindahl is a name I would throw out there. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't know why I thought about this, but is Harris the one Obama said was good looking? I feel like there was a controversy when Obama introduced a woman and commented on her looks and I feel like it was in California. 

She would definitely be the PILFiest president we’ve ever had.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

One really nice surprise from this, there are some really great folks on the Democratic bench.   Gov Walz is on MSNBC now and he's awesome.

Related to CMRiv's post, Alex Wagner just slyly called DJ Vince the VP nominee... for now.

Walz has been using the "these guys are weird" line for a while, and it's pretty effective.

He's a dark horse pick for sure, and his electoral record is one of the better ones (particularly the years in Congress running in a red-trending district and winning)

It amazes me still how that side of the aisle does not understand women. Well… it does and it doesn’t.  But yeah… go ahead.  Piss off the Swifties.  

I saw a meme today that said “strong women intimidate boys and turn on men”. 

1 minute ago, oblong said:

It amazes me still how that side of the aisle does not understand women. Well… it does and it doesn’t.  But yeah… go ahead.  Piss off the Swifties.  

I saw a meme today that said “strong women intimidate boys and turn on men”. 

Has TSwift even heard of Ben Shapiro?

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Palin ws humorously bad.  Vance is boring.  

Also had some level of charisma. Palin was able to work a room, or at least ones filled with Rs anyway. JD Vance has never, to-date, been able to work a room in a political setting.

Maybe that will change, but it isn't new... He was a bad candidate when he ran for Senate l, doesn't appear to have learned much

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also had some level of charisma. Palin was able to work a room, or at least ones filled with Rs anyway. JD Vance has never, to-date, been able to work a room in a political setting.

Maybe that will change, but it isn't new... He was a bad candidate when he ran for Senate l, doesn't appear to have learned much

Palin had the initial appeal to the PTA mom types who finally took charge and wanted to run things. At least that was the initial narrative.  Even with her kids pregnancies… a lot of families can relate. “Yeah our daughter got pregnant at 16. So what?”  She evolved into something else but a lot of the “white trash” criticism of her resonated with other “victims” in a hillbilly elegy kind of way. 

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

There is no way Taylor Swift is not going to endorse Kamala. Then it’s probably all over but the lawsuits.

IDK - I could easily believe she may say nothing, but be sure to be photographed regularly wearing Harris or coconut meme tee shirts.

lol - I was going to ask if you meant Fred. 

Thompson did have an interesting career all together though. I don't imagine too many people remember him from the Watergate hearings, where he was probably the third "star" right after Sam Ervin and Sam Dash. I also liked his turn as a murderous televangelist in WiseGuy - which he did before he went to the Senate.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

lol - I was going to ask if you meant Fred. 

Thompson did have an interesting career all together though. I don't imagine too many people remember him from the Watergate hearings, where he was probably the third "star" right after Sam Ervin and Sam Dash. I also liked his turn as a murderous televangelist in WiseGuy - which he did before he went to the Senate.

Yeah, he was very good on that show.  That show was one of my favs when it was first aired.   Joan Severance!  Woof.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK - I could easily believe she may say nothing, but be sure to be photographed regularly wearing Harris or coconut meme tee shirts.

I think that would constitute saying something.

I'm feeling a lot better today than I was last Friday.       There's massive energy now.   The VP pick is important.   I like Kelly because he was in the military (and Trump insults the military) but he's also a great speaker who has some clout when it comes to immigration and he's for sensible gun control while still being a 2nd amendment supporter and when he talks about that it has meaning.      He leans a little more conservative than Kamala, which is a good thing, you don't need a carbon copy like Trump/Vance.          

There's about to be a Youthquake. 

And guys like Trump (and many Republican men) don't like strong, smart or confident women - because they're horribly insecure.   They're pathetic.    Let them keep attacking.   I agree with that statement  Let Their Racism (and Misogyny) Be YOUR Rocket Fuel. 

BLAST OFF !

It's so enjoyable to see them freaking out.  Makes them look so weak and unprepared. 

• Like 1