2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's the rub: these people think they are the most American, and you're not. I wonder whether they think of their patriotism in the same way they think of their born-again Christianity.

Born-agains believe that only the blood of Jesus can save you and and it's the only way you can go to heaven. Good works don't matter. In fact, born-agains deride the idea of people thinking that good works make a difference. Instead, they just profess that they are "saved", and once you profess this, you've punched your ticket to heaven, and only explicitly rejecting Christ, and nothing else, will forfeit that ticket. That's why Catholics fret about going to heaven and evangelicals don't: Catholics are constantly worried they'll end up in h-e-double toothpicks on some technicality they aren't aware of. Born-agains have no such fear.

Because of this, there is no incentive for born-agains to act morally or perform good acts because, as it relates to their salvation, doing so doesn't matter. They are already saved and going to heaven no matter what. I'm not saying that all born-agains see accepting Jesus as a welcome license to sin, although probably some do. And I would bet many try to become better people once they have been saved because they truly believe that is what Jesus expects of them now. But whether you continue to sin freely or try to avoid doing so, once you are sanctified in the blood of Jesus, your actions mean literally nothing to your afterlife status. This is how an entire town of born-agains could participate in or enjoy watching a hideous lynching on Saturday night, then comfortably go to church and praise Jesus the next morning, and not feel even the slightest pang of guilt. The way they act on a day-to-day basis doesn't factor into their salvation, so they can neatly compartmentalize those parts of their lives away from each other.

So I wonder whether they think of their patriotism in this same way, where all they have to do is profess their love of Trump, pledge allegiance to a flag, and sing Lee Greenwood songs, and that makes them a pristine patriot who cannot be besmirched. Then anything they say or do that appears to undermine the principles upon which America was founded and which has been shaped across more than two centuries doesn't matter. U.S. leaves NATO? Yes, please. Pull all support from Ukraine and let Russia have it? Of course, it's not our problem, and Russia is a better ally than those commie NATO nations anyway. Help Israel destroy Gaza and everything and everyone in it? We must, the Bible has foretold it. Suspend the Constitution? OK if Mr. Trump needs to. Eliminate future elections? Mr. Trump is in control so what do we even need elections for anymore? None of this ignites even the slightest pang of guilt in them, because they are patriots, and anything they do, say, or profess to believe doe snot factor into their level of patriotism. They have been saved. And that's all the counts.

I wonder whether this hypothesis holds any water? I'm guessing a few people here will be glad to tell me why it doesn't, or at least to pick something to whatabout me on.

Lots of truth here.    I had a complimentary concept about perverse incentive structures bound up in the prosperity gospel but i might take a minute to draw that thread out.

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I had some interesting news about that from the USSS folks I know.   Apparently they had to deputize a bunch of Homeland Security Investigations and other DHS entity people to work that event because of the RNC creating a sinkhole of manpower (amirite GRINDR fans).  Well, anyone who relies on HSI people and the Bureau of Prisons and the like for a very specialized role will have such a result.  But, they scared off those negros from the Lincoln Memorial I guess so...

So she didn’t know the RNC had a convention planned? Also didn’t know the republican nominee would be on the campaign trail? Your USSS pals told you this? 

Hamas are a bunch of Negros now? Did the USSS guys tell you that too? 

On 7/25/2024 at 2:39 PM, chasfh said:

Can’t help but note the phonetics next to Kamala’s name, and remind me of something I think of every time I hear some right-winger—and it’s almost always a right-winger—botch the pronunciation as “Kuh-MAH-la”, and that include practically every right wing politician who can make their way to a microphone. They continually pronounce her name this way.

Is it because they honestly don’t know how her name is pronounced? No, of course not. They absolutely know. It’s because intentionally mispronouncing someone’s name is a basic sign of disrespect. Like, you are such a big nothing to me that I can’t even be bothered to pronounce your name correctly. Not for nothing, they did the same to Saddam Hussein by intentionally mispronouncing his name “sodom” for years and years. In fact, we all did it, because we all hated him. But anytime he is mentioned now, 20+ years later, it’s sad-DAHM. Don’t believe me? Go back and check out some video from that time.

Something to keep our eye (or, more exactly, ear) on, especially after she gets elected.

As I was saying ...

Hey dumbass: there is already a mechanism by which someone making $100,000 with three kids pay less in taxes than someone making $100,000 with no kids. It is called "child tax credit" are it's available to single filers making under $200,000 and joint filers making under $400,000.

Edited by chasfh

My son and I were talking about the shooting a few weeks ago and he asked if PA was an open carry state.  If that guy was outside the security perimeter than isn’t someone with an AR15 supposed to be reassuring to the republicans ?  Why are they upset he wasn’t shot until he fired?  He’s just a good old boy out with his gun. That is their wet dream isn’t it?

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hey dumbass: there is already a mechanism by which someone making $100,000 with three kids pay less in taxes than someone making $100,000 with no kids. It is called "child tax credit" are it's available to single filers making under $200,000 and joint filers making under $400,000.

Even without watching the video, he's wearing an Ohio State shirt and that's all I need to know that he's a jackass

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

My son and I were talking about the shooting a few weeks ago and he asked if PA was an open carry state.  If that guy was outside the security perimeter than isn’t someone with an AR15 supposed to be reassuring to the republicans ?  Why are they upset he wasn’t shot until he fired?  He’s just a good old boy out with his gun. That is their wet dream isn’t it?

As I understand it, PA is indeed an open carry state.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

The guy who was telling me about this USSS issue is a Jersey guy.  He was saying if that kid had been open carrying an AR in New Jersey he would have been prevented from getting that close.  

58 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So she didn’t know the RNC had a convention planned? Also didn’t know the republican nominee would be on the campaign trail? Your USSS pals told you this? 

Hamas are a bunch of Negros now? Did the USSS guys tell you that too? 

She was so worried about her tampon and if she could have babies and if her husband would be happy with the dinner she prepared, that she failed to budget an unlimited amount of money for the agency with the worst morale in the federal government and deploy an unlimited number of uniformed and protective service agents to protect the candidate who demanded an unlimited amount of security as if he was the current President.   I think in the circumstances it was only a matter of time before that was going to fail.  Now can you imagine a negress who inappropriately laughs when there are white people present in the restaurant being able to manage the nuclear triad?

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

She was so worried about her tampon and if she could have babies and if her husband would be happy with the dinner she prepared, that she failed to budget an unlimited amount of money for the agency with the worst morale in the federal government and deploy an unlimited number of uniformed and protective service agents to protect the candidate who demanded an unlimited amount of security as if he was the current President.   I think in the circumstances it was only a matter of time before that was going to fail.  Now can you imagine a negress who inappropriately laughs when there are white people present in the restaurant being able to manage the nuclear triad?

A lot to unpack there. But you are saying since Trump asked for extra protection, instead she gave him even less protection and created a lane for someone to take a free shot on the only building with high ground? Sounds pretty orchestrated when you frame it like that.

Then you called Harris a “Negress”? Not sure I would be the first one in line to buy one of your books.

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

A lot to unpack there. But you are saying since Trump asked for extra protection, instead she gave him even less protection and created a lane for someone to take a free shot on the only building with high ground? Sounds pretty orchestrated when you frame it like that.

Then you called Harris a “Negress”? Not sure I would be the first one in line to buy one of your books.

Doesn't matter.   Trump got his wound.  He's a regular Frank Burns.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Trigger warning...

I don't mind the vibe shift at all, although I think it would come off better if they would clean up some of the overly casual verbiage like "lied about other stuff" (which looks out of place where they put it anyway) and "went on and on and on". But I definitely like that they are attacking his speeches and rallies immediately after they occur, basically, not letting what he says just lay there and fester.

Fight fire hose with fire hose, I say.