2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

That's the rub: these people think they ....

Hooboy!

Yes indeed, faith vs works is probably the oldest and still least resolved argument in Christianity, and your thumbnails of the two extremes accurately nail the failings of both - Catholic guilt and Fundamentalist self justification. But I have no answers to resolve that tension other than to paraphrase Potter Stewart - we know good people when we see them. And as far as human organizations go, all I've ever come up with to judge them is whether they seem to aggregate a higher or lower percentage of good or bad people than the general population.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edited by gehringer_2

On Trump's "wound", politically it is probably a mistake to spend any time worrying about whether Trump was hit by flying glass, a bullet fragment or grazed by a passing shot. He was shot at and the guy came close enough to killing him that the detail of how close is immaterial. It does play only at one level, which is that if he was really only hit with some flying debris or fragment, and he's inflating it be a closer call with a bullet, it's just another amusing aspect of his self-aggrandizing. But that neither new nor unexpected, so I don't see the point is wasting too much media oxygen on it.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

On Trump's "wound", politically it is probably a mistake to spend any time worrying about whether Trump was hit by flying glass, a bullet fragment or grazed by a passing shot. He was shot at and the guy came close enough to killing him that the detail of how close is immaterial. It does play only at one level, which is that if he was really only hit with some flying debris or fragment, and he's inflating it be a closer call with a bullet, it's just another amusing aspect of his self-aggrandizing. But that neither new nor unexpected, so I don't see the point is wasting too much media oxygen on it.

Yeah, I guess it doesn’t much matter to me whether the wound is direct or indirect.  He was shot at it.  And more importantly, the whole episode did result in an innocent victim losing his life.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It has to do with the fact that no one in the government can give a legitimate answer to how the security breakdown occurred. Deflection allows people to lose focus on the event and lessen the severity of the actual lack of competence.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I honestly don't care one way or another on it... I do think we probably should have heard more from the doctors at the time he was hospitalized though. The lack of transparency is notable IMO 

• Thanks 1

Do experts like this realize that the Blue Wall states all have a lot of suburbs and suburban women in them?

I swear, whenever Cook Political Report talks about MI, they treat the entire state like it's Tuscola County + Detroit + Dearborn, and ignore everything else lol

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

It has to do with the fact that no one in the government can give a legitimate answer to how the security breakdown occurred. Deflection allows people to lose focus on the event and lessen the severity of the actual lack of competence.

It is interesting that all the heat came down on Cheatle - which is fair enough on one level if she either didn't or couldn't find out what was going on, but we know Cheatle wasn't the one making or validating the local arrangements. I suppose this is basically a 'blue wall' episode where everyone who was on the ground is adhering to the code of silence to not  blow a brother's cover.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Do experts like this realize that the Blue Wall states all have a lot of suburbs and suburban women in them?

I swear, whenever Cook Political Report talks about MI, they treat the entire state like it's Tuscola County + Detroit + Dearborn, and ignore everything else lol

Oakland County is the biggest reason Michigan has leaned blue. Whitney would have won without Detroit or Wayne County. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It is interesting that all the heat came down on Cheatle - which is fair enough on one level if she either didn't or couldn't find out what was going on, but we know Cheatle wasn't the one making or validating the local arrangements. I suppose this is basically a 'blue wall' episode where everyone who was on the ground is adhering to the code of silence to not  blow a brother's cover.

I think it's interesting how it was one of their own right-wingers that did it. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Oakland County is the biggest reason Michigan has leaned blue. Whitney would have won without Detroit or Wayne County. 

The shifts in West Michigan loom large too... Kent is basically blue at this point, and Ottawa seems to shift left every single election.

It's honestly amazing that they charge $35 dollars a month for this analysis and can't be bothered to acknowledge Grand Rapids' existence 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

well maybe he was, or maybe like most young men there was some transient thing he was hating his father about so killing his father's idol became the obvious logic (to him). He didn't seem to leave much of a bread crumb trail. Unless they find a journal or USB drive or some online handle ID they haven't figured out yet we may never know.

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yeah, guns didn't shoot at Trump, it was the satanists who allowed that young man to get on that building. 

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

well maybe he was, or maybe like most young men there was some transient thing he was hating his father about so killing his father's idol became the obvious logic (to him). He didn't seem to leave much of a bread crumb trail. Unless they find a journal or USB drive or some online handle ID they haven't figured out yet we may never know.

I mean before that maid sees the dog in The Omen she was a normal well-adjusted lady. 

37 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yeah, I guess it doesn’t much matter to me whether the wound is direct or indirect.  He was shot at it.  And more importantly, the whole episode did result in an innocent victim losing his life.

Careful, you will be called a right wing lunatic talking like that in here. 

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Yeah, guns didn't shoot at Trump, it was the satanists who allowed that young man to get on that building. 

More deflection. You are  a good public servant. Keep it and you may get the cube with a window view!

14 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Careful, you will be called a right wing lunatic talking like that in here. 

And if anybody suggests there's been a lack of transparency regarding the details of the actual impact on Trump, does that make them a looney conspiracy theorist in your eyes?

Two weeks ago, Tigeraholic and I had a pretty substantive conversation about the lack of civility in politics these days. On this very thread.

Seema like that conversation went inert since that time. It's really a shame.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

And if anybody suggests there's been a lack of transparency regarding the details of the actual impact on Trump, does that make them a looney conspiracy theorist in your eyes?

I saw Trump almost get killed. That didn’t happen? 

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I saw Trump almost get killed. That didn’t happen? 

It did happen. I saw it with my own eyes, FFS.

But if anybody suggests there's been a lack of transparency regarding the details of the actual impact on Trump, does that make them a looney conspiracy theorist in your eyes?

Should be an easy question to answer 

22 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

More deflection. You are  a good public servant. Keep it and you may get the cube with a window view!

Is this supposed to be a burn?  How about.  "Keep it up, when Trump wins you will be dreaming about being in a cubicle because you will be in Gitmo!"

It's really simple for me: the front runner for this election, ie. someone who could potentially become the most powerful person in the world, was shot in the ear... And we never once heard from the doctors. 

We didn't get many details at all, frankly... sure, I believe what my eyes saw, but I also believed what my eyes saw in Las Vegas in 2017, and yet the lack of transparency there fueled many conspiracies.

Why shouldn't I want to know the precise details of what happened, similar to Reagan or Ford of Kennedy? It's bizarre how people just want to shut down this conversation 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It did happen. I saw it with my own eyes, FFS.

But if anybody suggests there's been a lack of transparency regarding the details of the actual impact on Trump, does that make them a looney conspiracy theorist in your eyes?

Should be an easy question to answer 

Tell me what would that change? Now knowing the truth of how it happened seems more relevant. Why can’t the FBI or SS say what happened? Were they not there? Why is that a see so hard to answer? Wouldn’t dispel all the rumors? 

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's really simple for me: the front runner for this election, ie. someone who could potentially become the most powerful person in the world, was shot in the ear... And we never once heard from the doctors. 

We didn't get many details at all, frankly... sure, I believe what my eyes saw, but I also believed what my eyes saw in Las Vegas in 2017, and yet the lack of transparency there fueled many conspiracies.

Why shouldn't I want to know the precise details of what happened, similar to Reagan or Ford of Kennedy? It's bizarre how people just want to shut down this conversation 

Yeah, there is a reason people don't provide every detail of a criminal investigation to the general public  even when the perp is dead.   There is a specific stipulation against classifying information to protect against embarrassment.  OTOH, i can see process and procedure of protective posture (4Ps) being something the USSS doesn't want on front street.

• Like 1