2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

13 minutes ago, Kacie said:

🤣 Thanks for reminding me of more stupid excuses I get from family...I was totally undecided, reviewing the issues...but putting Kamala on the ballot!  Well, that's just a bridge too far.  How dare they!!  I mean, yeah, the lies, the racism, saying the disabled should just die, cheating on his wife, sexual assault, wanting to kill Mike Pence. So Trump is not perfect, but this!?!? 

He's such a mediocre guy, and a loser to boot. He never laughs, he's always angry.

It's a codependent relationship that many have with it. We would be better off turning the page.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kacie said:

🤣 Thanks for reminding me of more stupid excuses I get from family...I was totally undecided, reviewing the issues...but putting Kamala on the ballot!  Well, that's just a bridge too far.  How dare they!!  I mean, yeah, the lies, the racism, saying the disabled should just die, cheating on his wife, sexual assault, wanting to kill Mike Pence. So Trump is not perfect, but this!?!? 

Exactly this. Similar to the "well I didn't get my first choice candidate, so now I hope the candidate who is against most if not all of the issues I claim are important to me wins" I heard from people in 2016. 

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Just a PSA I never once voted for Trump. I voted Obama twice and helped turn Indiana blue in 2008 (very proud of that!) voted Biden last time as well. I don’t like Harris and I don’t like the bait and switch nominee process this year.

Just curious... is there a reason you don't mention who you voted for in 2016? 

So for those complaining about how Harris is getting the nod, I would note that going all the way back to WWII, no sitting VP who ran for their party's nomination for President in the next election has ever not gotten it. Maybe the closest to missing was Humphrey, but miss he did not. History tells us that even if Biden had withdrawn before primary season, Harris would have been the favorite. Clearly her detractors will argue that, but the real history is what it is. The cake was baked for her candidacy when Biden picked her.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He's such a mediocre guy, and a loser to boot. He never laughs, he's always angry.

It's a codependent relationship that many have with it. We would be better off turning the page.

This!

22 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

Exactly this. Similar to the "well I didn't get my first choice candidate, so now I hope the candidate who is against most if not all of the issues I claim are important to me wins" I heard from people in 2016. 

That infuriated me so much.  Hillary and Bernie voted nearly exactly the same on almost every bill when they were in the Senate.  I think it was 95% the same.      Yeah, I do think things were rigged against Bernie from the start.  They were going with Hillary no matter what (I think people thought it was hers in 2008 before Obama stepped in).   In fact, I think Biden didn't run in 2016 because he knew it was Hillary no matter what.    But a Bernie supporter not voting or voting for Trump in 2016 is like burning down your house because you spilled wine on the carpet.    Look at SCOTUS now.     Well done, assholes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So for those complaining about how Harris is getting the nod, I would note that going all the way back to WWII, no sitting VP who ran for their party's nomination for President in the next election has ever not gotten it. Maybe the closest to missing was Humphrey, but miss he did not. History tells us that even if Biden had withdrawn before primary season, Harris would have been the favorite. Clearly her detractors will argue that, but the real history is what it is. The cake was baked for her candidacy when Biden picked her.

The '68 Primary season was still pretty much controlled by party bosses. Humphrey never entered a primary race and most states selected delegates at statewide conventions. Humphrey came into the convention leading in the committed delegate count. Thanks the local conventions.

What I didn't know, LBJ seriously considered re-entering the race prior to the convention, that was nixed by John Connelly. The Daley wing of the party was pushing for an LBJ/Ted Kennedy ticket

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

What I didn't know, LBJ seriously considered re-entering the race prior to the convention, that was nixed by John Connelly. The Daley wing of the party was pushing for an LBJ/Ted Kennedy ticket

He was dead 2 days after that term would have ended. You can only wonder if being in office would have kept him alive -- or more likely have been worse for his health and he never would have  finished the term.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He was dead 2 days after that term would have ended. You can only wonder if being in office would have kept him alive -- or more likely have been worse for his health and he never would have  finished the term.

They say the presidency ages a man. LBJ was known to have heart problems. With Viet Nam protests heating up along with other issues of the era, I'm not sure he would have survived 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Frankly I question the intelligence and morality of any trump supporter.  In case anybody wondered where I stand.  And it’s not political. He made run of peopl like my son and if you are ok with that then there’s a fundamental difference between us.  

100% this.  I often hear, just don't talk politics or religion and that I should respect others' opinions. To me, it's just about being a decent human being. There aren't both sides to it.  Though I couldn't see how anyone voted for him in 2016, I get the anti Hillary camp and the well, Trump is the outsider businessman thing.  But now??  It's depressing and exhausting trying to pretend and explain that it's all just a little difference of opinion.  I find myself distancing myself from Trump supporters and gravitating more to those that aren't.  I often text Liz Cheney's quote to people who think there's nothing wrong with overlooking what Trump is.

"I say this to my Republican colleagues who are defending the indefensible: There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That infuriated me so much.  Hillary and Bernie voted nearly exactly the same on almost every bill when they were in the Senate.  I think it was 95% the same.      Yeah, I do think things were rigged against Bernie from the start.  They were going with Hillary no matter what (I think people thought it was hers in 2008 before Obama stepped in).   In fact, I think Biden didn't run in 2016 because he knew it was Hillary no matter what.    But a Bernie supporter not voting or voting for Trump in 2016 is like burning down your house because you spilled wine on the carpet.    Look at SCOTUS now.     Well done, assholes. 

Nothing was rigged against Bernie Sanders. He lost by 3.5 million votes. You can not win the Democratic nomination by ignoring black voters. That's the base of the party. 

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

JD Vance literally called Donald Trump Hitler, yet finds himself on the ticket as we speak.

In that context, color me skeptical than anyone will care about anything relating to Jussie Smollett in YOOL 2024

Esp from a guy faking taking a bullet

Ironic

47 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But a Bernie supporter not voting or voting for Trump in 2016 is like burning down your house because you spilled wine on the carpet.

yup. Hillary was about my last choice on the Dem side (not the least because I thought even then she was the only Dem Trump could beat) but by 2016 the GOP was already clearly off the rails - and Trump had already spent spent 40 yrs proving what a creep he was. So you pull the lever for the party - because in the end it's a party system, something most Americans seem to have lost understanding of. You might want to preserve your purity as an independent, but that doesn't change the fact that parties drive government agendas.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I do like Tim Walz the more I hear from them, but the R will freak out if it's Mark Kelly.   

I think Wes Moore, barring some sort of scandal, will be President one day.  

Walz is definitely wonderful on the stump, but the VP part of a US campaign is hardly covered so it's hard to see how the talent actually produces many votes. Governor of PA seems too obvious a choice from a strategic standpoint.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, LaceyLou said:

Just curious... is there a reason you don't mention who you voted for in 2016? 

Hi Lacey. In 2016 my son’s esophagus ruptured and I spent September- December driving back and forth to Riley’s Children Hospital in Indianapolis and lost track of things and did not vote. If I had voted.  I was not a fan of Bill Clinton and voting for Hilary felt like just voting for Bill again. Trump was an unknown and I was not ready to vote for him. So I guess I abstained my vote that cycle. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Walz is definitely wonderful on the stump, but the VP part of a US campaign is hardly covered so it's hard to see how the talent actually produces many votes. Governor of PA seems too obvious a choice from a strategic standpoint.

Exactly. Show me something Harris did as VP other than being the failed border Czar. 

10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Hi Lacey. In 2016 my son’s esophagus ruptured and I spent September- December driving back and forth to Riley’s Children Hospital in Indianapolis and lost track of things and did not vote. If I had voted.  I was not a fan of Bill Clinton and voting for Hilary felt like just voting for Bill again. Trump was an unknown and I was not ready to vote for him. So I guess I abstained my vote that cycle. 

I guess I find the "Trump was an unknown" hard to believe. He was well known in the tabloids for 40 years, and had multiple bankruptcies. And while I never watched The Apprentice (which most likely saved him from yet another financial disaster), I suspect a lot of people knew him from that. 

I hope that your son fully recovered. 

• Thanks 1