2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

49 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yup. Hillary was about my last choice on the Dem side (not the least because I thought even then she was the only Dem Trump could beat) but by 2016 the GOP was already clearly off the rails - and Trump had already spent spent 40 yrs proving what a creep he was. So you pull the lever for the party - because in the end it's a party system, something most Americans seem to have lost understanding of. You might want to preserve your purity as an independent, but that doesn't change the fact that parties drive government agendas.

This. 

22 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Rubio or Trump would need to claim residence in another state, lest the 12th Amendment make those 30 electoral votes go poof.

But has congress implemented a way to enforce this as the scotus required per the decision on the 14th Amendmebt Article 3 case regarding Trump being an insurrectionist?

The congress has superiority over the constitution now 

18 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

I guess I find the "Trump was an unknown" hard to believe. He was well known in the tabloids for 40 years, and had multiple bankruptcies. And while I never watched The Apprentice (which most likely saved him from yet another financial disaster), I suspect a lot of people knew him from that. 

I hope that your son fully recovered. 

I was speaking to him as a politician. 

The boy is good. He got meat stuck on scar tissue from when he had surgery as a 3 day old being born with a esophageal fistula.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Rubio or Trump would need to claim residence in another state, lest the 12th Amendment make those 30 electoral votes go poof.

this could lead to some fun though. I can believe the Trump org could be incompetent enough not to know this, at least until after they had put things in motion and then would have to walk them back.

46 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

I never watched The Apprentice (which most likely saved him from yet another financial disaster), I suspect a lot of people knew him from that. 

and that is exactly what put us where we are. Millions of people saw a carefully scripted version of a character they thought was DJT and said to themselves - this guy's not so bad. But reality television is anything and everything but.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Hi Lacey. In 2016 my son’s esophagus ruptured and I spent September- December driving back and forth to Riley’s Children Hospital in Indianapolis and lost track of things and did not vote. If I had voted.  I was not a fan of Bill Clinton and voting for Hilary felt like just voting for Bill again. Trump was an unknown and I was not ready to vote for him. So I guess I abstained my vote that cycle. 

Thank you for sharing. The stuff the happens on the day to day matters more than all of this stuff 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Thank you for sharing. The stuff the happens on the day to day matters more than all of this stuff 

With all due respect, "all this stuff" literally effects all the day to day.  

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I had not heard that before.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that Trump hasn't either.  Rubio might know about it.  

Trump would never pick little Marco anyway.  He'd make him grovel and then humiliate him instead.  

21 minutes ago, Kacie said:

With all due respect, "all this stuff" literally effects all the day to day.  

The decisions we make at the ballot box effect us all day to day. No question

But if someone is dealing with a medical emergency in their family, how can you not have grace for that?

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

and that is exactly what put us where we are. Millions of people saw a carefully scripted version of a character they thought was DJT and said to themselves - this guy's not so bad. But reality television is anything and everything but.

If not for a writers strike that prompted the networks to realize that “reality” shows were cheaper to produce and in the end even with reduced ratings be just as profitable as a more scripted show.  

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

But if someone is dealing with a medical emergency in their family, how can you not have grace for that?

I didn't say I wasn't sympathetic.  It goes without saying.  But I kind of feel like this is how we got here. Obviously one can be glad that a child survived a medical scare 8 years ago and still talk about the ramifications of the election.  Both can be true.   

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Vivek is the Greg Maddux of weird. 

Amazing of all the things that can be said about them, racist, liars, cheaters, sexual predators,  and the thing that's resonating is weird.  Go figure. 

7 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Amazing of all the things that can be said about them, racist, liars, cheaters, sexual predators,  and the thing that's resonating is weird.  Go figure. 

It's weird.  

• Thanks 1

James Carville, of all people, said that a few months ago.

He said the only way to get rid of Trump is to straight out make fun of him.

Just like Junior High.

This must have been around of the time of the New York trial and the report came out the Trump was falling asleep and smelled.

Carville said to run with the "Trump Stinks!" line.

Wear clothespin on your nose, yell "Pee-Yew!" and "Time For A Diaper Change!" 

I thought it was juvenile but maybe not!

The rapist part is sort of hanging out there.  He’s a sex pest and has paid substantial civil penalties for that behavior.  I guess we will leave it to presidential historians to decide who was our most rapy president.

The rapist part is sort of hanging out there.  He’s a sex pest and has paid substantial civil penalties for that behavior.  I guess we will leave it to presidential historians to decide who was our most rapy president.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Or another way to put it is that what we talk about here may be important, but that we are talking about it probably isn't.

:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

As the young kids like to say...

"Cry Harder"

Imagine suppoting Trump and calling the other side dumb and juvenile.  

Also, trump doesn't have any policy, just right wing one liner talking points.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Imagine suppoting Trump and calling the other side dumb and juvenile.  

Also, trump doesn't have any policy, just right wing one liner talking points.  

Trump is the Pedro Martinez of dumb and juvenile.