2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The Forsyth County story is actually one of hope... Sure, maybe demo changes have happened, it's more diverse than it used to be, but actual hearts and minds have changed since 1987 I'm sure as well.

It sucks to reduce that to the regular partisan debate about crowd sizes... Or saying "look how white that crowd was"

Deflecting to unimportant issues like crowd size is how they try to get you off your real game.

14 hours ago, mtutiger said:

He's such a mediocre guy, and a loser to boot. He never laughs, he's always angry.

It's a codependent relationship that many have with it. We would be better off turning the page.

Maybe Trump is their loud, blustering, drunk-seeming, half-angry/half-charming dad whose approval they desperately need for their self-esteem.

14 hours ago, romad1 said:

I hope Trump is stupid and keeps JP Mandel and i also hope he’s stupid enough to change him out for another weirdo from the private equity hall of shame. 

I think if/when Trump switches out the VP there’s a good chance he picks Elise Stefanik.

12 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

This. 

I don’t know, I thought Hillary was great, but then, I was paying attention to her resume and policy statements and not really to her personal likability. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I had not heard that before.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that Trump hasn't either.  Rubio might know about it.  

Trump would never pick little Marco anyway.  He'd make him grovel and then humiliate him instead.  

Marco is not exactly white, try as he might, so probably correct.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know, I thought Hillary was great, but then, I was paying attention to her resume and policy statements and not really to her personal likability. 

And the Clinton body count

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

A bunch of rich old white boomers. If that doesn't spell energy than I need a nap!

We'll wake you in time to do the next game thread. Want some cocoa and cookies to calm you down?

Note: Anecdotal view of what I'm seeing in the middle of Michigan.

I've been up at my mother in laws lake house for a few days.  Closest semi-known city is probably Clare, MI.  It's been full of Trump signs even during Biden's presidency, some that haven't moved since probably 2016.  Yesterday I was doing a bunch of errands and going in multiple directions around here and definitely still some Trump signs, but noticeably less than before.  I noticed a ton of local official signs, not just your county, but state rep/us rep signs.  One was Moolenar out of Midland.  That was on one of the more notable signs I noticed based on count.  He's a republican, and it took me awhile to figure that out as initially signs with him didn't have anyone else that I could associate with either ticket.

Also, not one Trump/Vance, granted it's early for that.  Plus knowing Trump he probably doesn't want to share his name on anything he's promoting.

49 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

We'll wake you in time to do the next game thread. Want some cocoa and cookies to calm you down?

My point being the Villages have 80K residents. It is a haven for northern conservatives to retire. The golf cart armada probably does not represent most folks there.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

and not really to her personal likability. 

It came down to being as simple as that. Whether it was fair, or even real doesn't matter, she didn't project well via electronic media and in this political world that's fatal.

It's the reason that the old saw about democracy being the worst form of government except all the others is true. You give people their choice and you have to live with all the dumb reasons they make them.

17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My point being the Villages have 80K residents. It is a haven for northern conservatives to retire. The golf cart armada probably does not represent most folks there.

I'm familiar with the Villages. Had an adult band director several years describe it as 50 thousand people with 25 thousand golf clubs. I see the latest population is around 76 thousand and declining. 

Still that many golf carts is more than what turned out for Democrats in 2016 and 2020. The "conservatives" are losing momentum. Especially when the Trump Weird Party keeps talking about taking away our BINGO money

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Unrelated.... but the Villages sounds like a horrible place to live.

LOL - there are always those things that you know work for some people where you can't personally imagine how. For me it's Disney/theme parks in general.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - there are always those things that you know work for some people where you can't personally imagine how. For me it's Disney/theme parks in general.

My son's ex in-laws were Disney people. I went once, never saw the specific attraction. We would occasionally visit Busch Gardens when it was owned by the beer people, once every few years was enough. May have been OK when I was 30, at 70 forget about it.