2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I feel that way about Florida in general. It ain't the politics, it's the weather.

My grandparents were snow birds. They would pull their 5th wheel down in November and return to Michigan in late April. That is the only way to live in Florida, not a fan of swamp butt.....

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My grandparents were snow birds. They would pull their 5th wheel down in November and return to Michigan in late April. That is the only way to live in Florida, not a fan of swamp butt.....

I prefer moving halfway down. Permanently. 
I will admit owning a couple of timeshare weeks in Orlando twenty plus years ago. We ended up mostly trading for weeks we enjoyed more someplace (anyplace) else.

Edited by CMRivdogs

54 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My point being the Villages have 80K residents. It is a haven for northern conservatives to retire. The golf cart armada probably does not represent most folks there.

That makes it an excellent troll then  

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My neighbors do that.

I just got back from Florida.  We've gone 3 times since 2021 on the gulf and I love it.  But of course when you are on vacation and steps from the water, it's nice.  The heat doesn't bother me.  Last year we did Pacific Beach in San Diego and that.... is how I could live.

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

A cabin in the Smoky Mountains is my goal.

Different strokes. We found it a nice place to visit not a big fan of Pigeon Forge and Asheville was too expensive. We ended up near Williamsburg,Va and fell in love with the area. 
Richmond's airport is about an hour away. Just an hour or so flight to DTW. Three hour drive to the Shenandoah Valley, Raleigh, maybe 6 hours to Hilton Head with Myrtle Beach in between. Snow ( if any ) is mostly gone in a day or two. No unsightly black snow mountains.

DC is a two hour train ride.

And there's Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. The perfect location for us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Note: Anecdotal view of what I'm seeing in the middle of Michigan.

I've been up at my mother in laws lake house for a few days.  Closest semi-known city is probably Clare, MI.  It's been full of Trump signs even during Biden's presidency, some that haven't moved since probably 2016.  Yesterday I was doing a bunch of errands and going in multiple directions around here and definitely still some Trump signs, but noticeably less than before.  I noticed a ton of local official signs, not just your county, but state rep/us rep signs.  One was Moolenar out of Midland.  That was on one of the more notable signs I noticed based on count.  He's a republican, and it took me awhile to figure that out as initially signs with him didn't have anyone else that I could associate with either ticket.

Also, not one Trump/Vance, granted it's early for that.  Plus knowing Trump he probably doesn't want to share his name on anything he's promoting.

I went to the U.P. a few weeks ago, and was surprised at the lack of Trump signs. Granted it was just late June…

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know, I thought Hillary was great, but then, I was paying attention to her resume and policy statements and not really to her personal likability. 

I never found her to be unlikable-she's far less reserved than many of the people I grew up with. For me there were other candidates whose views I liked a bit better. Once they were gone (which was pretty quick, IIRC), I got behind her.

5 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I prefer moving halfway down. Permanently. 
I will admit owning a couple of timeshare weeks in Orlando twenty plus years ago. We ended up mostly trading for weeks we enjoyed more someplace (anyplace) else.

I'd rather stay put the entire year, too. 

Honestly I don't mind if there's some snow, as long as it's a walkable place with everything I need within walking distance or at least accessible by transit.

(I've been told that this goal of some to make more '15 minute cities' is a plot to control people and force them to stay in one place, so there's that)

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

Peters seems uninspiring to me. Nothing against him at all but I am not sure most Michiganders would even know him. 😜

Maybe boring is good. I've heard his name a couple of times recently. To me he would be Tim Kaine II. And I like Kaine 

Edited by CMRivdogs

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Unrelated.... but the Villages sounds like a horrible place to live.

I've heard that the postal carriers special retirement community can be a fun place.  If you are an extrovert who likes the idea of being on a college campus again and all that entails: drinking, cornhole games, drinking.

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Harris needs Miami Dade county to flip Florida. Pretty bad timing by Biden coming out with the SC shakeup idea right after what happened last night in Venezuela.

lol you voted for Maduro-esque Biden

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

Of course that Biden dropped out of an election instead of stealing it doesn't enter into MAGA brain when making a comparison of Biden and Maduro

Or that Trump pulled the same prank on Jan 6

14 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Harris needs Miami Dade county to flip Florida. Pretty bad timing by Biden coming out with the SC shakeup idea right after what happened last night in Venezuela.

Because requiring adherence to real ethics standards and expanding guarantees of rule of law is just the same thing as commandeering the judiciary with pet jurists.

Post better than this.

• Thanks 3