2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

need a really big grain of salt there. No-one has been capable of more wishful thinking since 2016 than the GOP never-trumpers.

Tim was castigated by the Biden folks for wanting to shift to Harris.  

also, Cernovich is one of the nutters, isn’t he?

Edited by romad1

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Tim was castigated by the Biden folks for wanting to shift to Harris.  

also, Cernovich is one of the nutters, isn’t he?

Excepted he didn’t want to shift to Harris. He wanted a contested primary and a white Midwest governor to be the candidate. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Excepted he didn’t want to shift to Harris. He wanted a contested primary and a white Midwest governor to be the candidate. 

I listen to him every day. He was pushing the coconut meme stuff early.

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

As much as Trump and all the other turds in his circle deserve it, I don't like the weird campaign for a couple of reasons.  First, calling people weird kind of goes against the whole diversity and inclusion message.  Second, I think it might backfire on them bcause they will be seen as elitists who think they are better than MAGAs.  It's similar to the basket of deplorables remark by Clinton in 2016.  It's OK when Tim Walz does it because he knows how to say it and he doesn't come across as elitist, but others won't get away with it.     

**** that ****. I'm over tiptoeing around these assholes worried about hurting the fee-fees.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

"The source told the Beast that the rift between the Trump campaign and the Heritage Foundation was not ideological, but rather was about power and who will ultimately control Trump World and make staffing decisions in a possible second Trump administration."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-campaign-puts-the-screws-to-project-2025-mastermind?ref=author

Audience of one is unhappy he will have to (eventually) die in prison.  Unless Joe pardoned him on his way to AF1 in Jan 2025.

14 hours ago, pfife said:

The site has been weird, sometimes when I submit message it doesn't look like it sent but it does.

I'm starting to hypothesize tha this happens when you are on iOS and you try to submit a reply or post to the server at the same time it is still processing someone else's post, and if it's not finished with that post, yours comes right after it but your UI doesn't reflect that.

13 hours ago, oblong said:

I saw a tweet already expressing some progressives not liking it because… you know…/ he’s Jewish. 

I think this might be more about concern than hate, meaning, it's less about "progressives" hate Jews, and more about concerns of a black Asian woman/Jew ticket being maybe a little too exotic for certain blue-dog marginal voters, which might make a difference in battleground states.

Josh Shapiro is so exotic to blue-dog marginal voters that he has a 61% approval rating in a 50/50 state with a middle portion that resembles Alabama.

Which is to say, he's not exotic at all to blue-dog marginal voters, relative to the other options at least. Just don't agree on this one.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

"The source told the Beast that the rift between the Trump campaign and the Heritage Foundation was not ideological, but rather was about power and who will ultimately control Trump World and make staffing decisions in a possible second Trump administration."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-campaign-puts-the-screws-to-project-2025-mastermind?ref=author

Because of course.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Josh Shapiro is so exotic to blue-dog marginal voters that he has a 61% approval rating in a 50/50 state with a middle portion that resembles Alabama.

Which is to say, he's not exotic at all to blue-dog marginal voters, relative to the other options at least. Just don't agree on this one.

I don't know either way. I'm hypothesizing on possible reasons "progressives"—whoever these are, I'd love to see some names—might be a little nervous with a Jewish (or gay or black or woman) VP candidate. I certainly wouldn't not vote for any candidate for that reason. But then, I'm in Illinois and my vote practically means nothing here.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm starting to hypothesize tha this happens when you are on iOS and you try to submit a reply or post to the server at the same time it is still processing someone else's post, and if it's not finished with that post, yours comes right after it but your UI doesn't reflect that.

believe so, I use a couple of different platforms and IOS is the only one that has done it to me.

Edited by gehringer_2

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

**** that ****. I'm over tiptoeing around these assholes worried about hurting the fee-fees.

I am so not worried about their feelings getting hurt.  I am concerned that playing their game will backfire.

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am so not worried about their feelings getting hurt.  I am concerned that playing their game will backfire.

there are always a lot of directions to go in a campaign -- some will be mutually exclusive. You have to decide where the main chance lies. Is it turnout, moving independents, tuning Trumpers off their guy? How you answer that has to drive your strategy. Ridicule's value would be to make Trump appear uncool, so to me that is a strategy for trying to turn current Trumpers, but if the election is going to be won on turnout (my own belief) than trivializing Trump may soften your voters sense of urgency to show up. Conversely, talking the threat all the time is probably good for your turnout, but is just going to harden Trump supporters for him. So at least to some degree, you have to pick a lane -- and be right!

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

there are always a lot of directions to go in a campaign -- some will be mutually exclusive. You have to decide where the main chance lies. Is it turnout, moving independents, tuning Trumpers off their guy? How you answer that has to drive your strategy. Ridicule's value would be to make Trump appear uncool, so to me that is a strategy for trying to turn current Trumpers, but if the election is going to be won on turnout (my own belief) than trivializing Trump may soften your voters sense of urgency to show up. Conversely, talking the threat all the time is probably good for your turnout, but is just going to harden Trump supporters for him. So at least to some degree, you have to pick a lane -- and be right!

You are not turning any Trumpers.  None of them.  You need to boost turnout.  I don't understand what moves the masses, but getting more people to vote should be be the strategy. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You are not turning any Trumpers.  None of them.  You need to boost turnout.  I don't understand what moves the masses, but getting more people to vote should be be the strategy. 

that's why I think "they're just weird" can work. Yes, I don't get how somebody can be in a "will I vote for him or her" mode at this point.  I don't think this is about that.  It's "why should I vote?"  By reminding people that this is what you have to  look forward to for 4 years.  Combine that with abortion and I think it can work.

With Biden on the ticket I think the non voters are a lot higher.  Now I think more of them will vote for Harris than they would Trump.  Call them weird when they say or do something weird.  But that can't be the focus of the campaign. Still need to talk about what you will do or won't do.

Does anyone think Trump protected himself from an internal coup by choosing JDV as VP – a candidate that no one wants to see in power – or did Trump inadvertently open himself up to a coup by selecting the Heritage Foundation friendly JDV?

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

that's why I think "they're just weird" can work. Yes, I don't get how somebody can be in a "will I vote for him or her" mode at this point.  I don't think this is about that.  It's "why should I vote?"  By reminding people that this is what you have to  look forward to for 4 years.  Combine that with abortion and I think it can work.

With Biden on the ticket I think the non voters are a lot higher.  Now I think more of them will vote for Harris than they would Trump.  Call them weird when they say or do something weird.  But that can't be the focus of the campaign. Still need to talk about what you will do or won't do.

The other part is that, for the most part, I haven't been seeing people say the word "weird" for the sake of saying the word.... they are saying it in direct reference to statements and policy positions that, to any normal person, are weird.

I will say this, if JD Vance wasn't the VP nominee, I think it would be less effective.... but he has a whole host of strange positions and statements and if this is the means to vet those positions / statements and potentially tie them to Trump, they absolutely need to be doing it and not being paralyzed by fear of hypotheticals.

Edited by mtutiger

14 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Does anyone think Trump protected himself from an internal coup by choosing JDV as VP – a candidate that no one wants to see in power – or did Trump inadvertently open himself up to a coup by selecting the Heritage Foundation friendly JDV?

I think he got talked into it by #1 son and maybe a few of the Heritage folks. I've read his first choice was ND Gov. Burgum, who probably been a safe but a hohum choice.

37 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The other part is that, for the most part, I haven't been seeing people say the word "weird" for the sake of saying the word.... they are saying it in direct reference to statements and policy positions that, to any normal person, are weird.

I will say this, if JD Vance wasn't the VP nominee, I think it would be less effective.... but he has a whole host of strange positions and statements and if this is the means to vet those positions / statements and potentially tie them to Trump, they absolutely need to be doing it and not being paralyzed by fear of hypotheticals.

Good point.  Pence was boring.  All he had was calling his wife "mother".... which isn't that odd to people in the south.  Trump and Weird is baked in already.  People are numb to it.  It's how he was before he was a politician.  But JD's weird stuff is more real and not as tabloidish.