2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I remember in 2008 when race started to become an issue and Barack Obama made a speech (was it in Philadelphia?) about race and shut that **** down.  It was an epic speech - probably his best (up there with the speech at the memorial for the shooting victims in Arizona).   I was already on board, but that was the moment when I knew HE'S THE GUY.     

Then Stoopid Sarah later in the campaign went off about "anybody can make pretty speeches".   Hey Sarah - speeches are an absolutely important part of the job.  Speeches show clarity and vision (or the opposite).   Speeches can calm nerves or rally people around a  shared cause or idea.   Speeches are one of the most important thing a leader does.     When was the last time Trump or Vance or any of those crooked yahoos gave any kind of assuring speech.   Even that trustfund silver spoon nepo baby George W. Bush gave a great speech at the site of WTC.    I couldn't stand him and never voted for him and think he was totally controlled by Darth Cheney, but he made the moment.  He owned it.      I don't see that coming from any Republican today (or many Democrats either). 

Kamala needs to respond to the type of garbage that's going down.   Talk about her heritage.  Show how it is the TRUE American story and talk about how it gives her opportunities to see things from more angles.     She doesn't have to be defined as anything except American.    People like Kamala ARE the real Americans.   They are the future.     The sick **** being thrown around today was one day thrown at the Irish and Italian sides of my family..........and not that long ago.   

Her moment is beckoning and I hope she sticks the landing like Obama did in March 2008.     Throw this garbage right back at 'em. 

(it was Philadelphia.......where Kamala will be next week).  

https://www.npr.org/2008/03/18/88478467/transcript-barack-obamas-speech-on-race

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

John McWhorter wrote an interesting piece last week about this. Basically if you are born anything but full White in America, you can expect to be treated as though you were African American anyway, and while Kamila is clearly half south Asian, that made no meaningful difference in her experience growing up in CA.

I guess even people's political memories are pretty short, our 1st 'black' president was half-white - that made zero difference to the way he was identified.

Remember when Tiger Woods tried to get people to recognize him as Asian? - didn't get far with that either.

I guess what concerns me and i've had this conversation with others today after the NABJ panel went so badly, that Trump fans will start acts of violence to disrupt the election process because they know he is going to lose. 

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I guess what concerns me and i've had this conversation with others today after the NABJ panel went so badly, that Trump fans will start acts of violence to disrupt the election process because they know he is going to lose. 

I bet it was USSS Jersey guy.

Inner monologue:  Oh noes!!!!  My dream of a World where all the educated people are my serfs is crumbling around me.  I'd better post random crap sent to me from the flailing Trump campaign doubling down on race-baiting and misogyny.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, if you want a more nuanced view from a mixed race individual (who is generally counted as unconventionally conservative) here you go:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/25/opinion/kamala-harris-race.html?searchResultPosition=1

My point being maybe African Americans might not like that she is called Indian American when it helps her in some way. But Black when it helps another way. She will be called the first African American woman president right? Not saying black should or will vote for Trump but they feel used. 

Just now, Tigerbomb13 said:

This was already posted here recently, but she is mixed race. She isn’t making what she is. 

It tells you a lot when people won't let go of the talking point they thought would be a slam dunk and it turns out to be garbage. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, romad1 said:

It tells you a lot when people won't let go of the talking point they thought would be a slam dunk and it turns out to be garbage. 

We can’t debate? You said I am dumb because I didn’t go to college. Help make me smarter.

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My point being maybe African Americans might not like that she is called Indian American when it helps her in some way. But Black when it helps another way. She will be called the first African American woman president right? Not saying black should or will vote for Trump but they feel used. 

But that's the thing, the black community is past that, anyone who isn't white white is basically an honorary member because they share the common experience of non-whiteness in America. Beside - there is no particular profit in the US in claiming to be DESI anyway - it's a straw man.

Like a wise man once said, "race" is a social construct. It only exists in the mind of the beholder. That doesn't make it less powerful, just more foolish.

Edited by gehringer_2